Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
 
 
 
   

View Poll Results: Will you seriously buy the Canon 40D

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes ... anything new that Canon offers goes in my bag

    3 23.08%
  • Yes ... my other Canon has had it ... time for new

    2 15.38%
  • Maybe ... I need peer pressure though, lots of it

    1 7.69%
  • No way ... it's not enough of an improvement for me

    7 53.85%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    2,192
    How about the option of

    " Yes, I believe the 40D offers significant extra features for me to upgrade"

    your options have a cynical "Don Schap thinks Canon is money hungry" side to them
    Canon 350D l EF-S 10-22 l EF-S 17-55 l EF 50 f/1.8 l EF 70-200 2.8 IS l 430EX l

    Fornography

    www.vicwrx.com.au

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Des Plaines, IL
    Posts
    9,560

    Red face I object to the line of insinuation ... be fair

    Quote Originally Posted by forno View Post
    How about the option of

    " Yes, I believe the 40D offers significant extra features for me to upgrade"

    your options have a cynical "Don Schap thinks Canon is money hungry" side to them
    There wasn't a single reference to financial impact that I could see ... I'm afraid you are reading something into it that just isn't there. Canon has its moments of over-priced improvement ... and this may well be one of them. Everyone is squeezin' a bigger buck out of us, these days. Gas, toys, whatever ... but this is truly about an improvement of equipment quality issue. It's just not enough for me to toss the 20D ... and that says something significant about the quality of the 20D product ... and not my financial wherewithal.

    Buy yourself two of them, Forno ... the salesguy will be glad to see you.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-09-2007 at 07:01 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

    flickr & Sdi

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Burnaby B.C
    Posts
    130

    Senior or Senoirs

    Hey Don and forno!!!

    I hope when u guys are done squabbling u'll still be friends...i'm new here and i need to make use of both of you.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, Wyoming
    Posts
    1,043

    I can't answer your poll either.

    I still shoot with a 10D and recently purchased toy camera the Rebel XT. I have seen no reason to upgrade to the 20 or 30D, the 40D may be in my future if the feature set looks good to me.

    So no, anything Canon offers goes in my bag doesn't apply to me, I've happily skipped the last two as not being enough stuff to put away my 10D.

    Also my other Canons haven't had it, they are both working perfectly and still taking fine photographs, so there is no need to upgrade because of a bum camera.

    Peer pressure???!! come on! what a bunch of cr@p.

    Not enough of an improvement? We actually don't even know what the specs. are yet how could anyone possibly answer that?

    I have to agree with Forno there is a slant there, knowing your usual opinions the choices have a slant that:
    1) Canon buyers buy anything new from Canon because it's Canon.
    2) I will only replace my camera if the old one is broken, not alway a reason, this maybe fits my reason best, but still doesn't cover it.
    3) Suggesting Canon buyers are followers and have to keep up with the jones' when buying camera gear. This BTW doesn't even enter at all in my thought process: see the gear I am shooting with.
    4) OK this is actually a decent question.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

    Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Des Plaines, IL
    Posts
    9,560

    Where or where did my UWA go?

    Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    So no, anything Canon offers goes in my bag doesn't apply to me, I've happily skipped the last two as not being enough stuff to put away my 10D.

    TenD, look at all that wonderful EF-S lensing you have missed out on

    Look, I know there is an affinity out there for the EOS 10D, because of the excessive cost it had, when it first came out. You definitely have to get SOME mileage out of it, before tossing it back. The EOS 40D may just be "your time", to be sure ... and you can, once again, consider EF-S lensing and get your ultra wide-angle shots back.

    I've made my points abundantly clear ... and as far as I can tell ... even expressed in Japanese ... there has been no movement in the Canon camp. What's a semi-pro to do? They won't build my camera!
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

    flickr & Sdi

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Georgetown, KY
    Posts
    1,627
    Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    Also my other Canons haven't had it, they are both working perfectly and still taking fine photographs, so there is no need to upgrade because of a bum camera.

    Peer pressure???!! come on! what a bunch of cr@p.

    Not enough of an improvement? We actually don't even know what the specs. are yet how could anyone possibly answer that?

    I have to agree with Forno there is a slant there, knowing your usual opinions the choices have a slant that:
    1) Canon buyers buy anything new from Canon because it's Canon.
    2) I will only replace my camera if the old one is broken, not alway a reason, this maybe fits my reason best, but still doesn't cover it.
    3) Suggesting Canon buyers are followers and have to keep up with the jones' when buying camera gear. This BTW doesn't even enter at all in my thought process: see the gear I am shooting with.
    4) OK this is actually a decent question.
    I'll second your motion. I was still using my old Canon A1 until the 20D came out and that was enough to seal the deal to go digital. I loved what it offered me and I still do. If and when it plays out on me then, and only then will I think about buying anything. I must say my brother tempts me from time to time with his 5D .
    Dennis

    Canon 5D
    Canon 20D


    Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, Wyoming
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    TenD, look at all that wonderful EF-S lensing you have missed out on

    Look, I know there is an affinity out there for the EOS 10D, because of the excessive cost it had, when it first came out. You definitely have to get SOME mileage out of it, before tossing it back. The EOS 40D may just be "your time", to be sure ... and you can, once again, consider EF-S lensing and get your ultra wide-angle shots back.

    I've made my points abundantly clear ... and as far as I can tell ... even expressed in Japanese ... there has been no movement in the Canon camp. What's a semi-pro to do? They won't build my camera!
    No needs for EF-S glass here, my Tokina UWA is just fine. Every other focal lenth is covered. I feel a little abandoned by Canon with new lenses concentrating on EF-S but only slightly so.

    I paid US$1450 for my 10D which is still in line with what a new DSLR is going for now. I have gotten my moneys worth. Nothing out there is enough different to make me run out for a new body.

    I wait with baited breath to see what Sony's next offering is, if they ever offer anything new in the SLR market. I doubt you'll see a fantastic new innovative camera body. The technology has caught up with itself. The improvements will be minor.

    Film cameras stayed the same for years and years after the intro of the 35mm format. Then the SLR was born and that was a huge improvement. In the late 80's Canon introduced the EOS system and an AF revolution was born. After the EOS mount was introduced the evolution was slow, until digital technology became such that it was affordable by the masses.

    Digital has shown great gains for about the last 7 years after a slow start in the mid 90s. Now the technology has slowed, it's been obvious in the introduction of new models of anyone's DSLRs. If Canon isn't offering what you feel you need, move on, I am perfectly satisfied with my Canon products and really don't feel a huge need to run out and upgrade to the latest greatest.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

    Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Des Plaines, IL
    Posts
    9,560

    Lightbulb A few new ideas

    TenD, I wonder if you have read ALL the recent exchanges concerning this 40D. Judging by your comments, I am skeptical, because I have addressed almost all of them and the reasons I say what I do. I can't imagine how I could be any more clear.

    Yes, I own the SONY A100 and a bunch of Minolta glass, which, by the way, is where REAL AF started ... not by Canon. Minolta has been the springboard for almost every digital advancement since 1990 ... I have several historical articles I could share, if you need further proof. This dual system approach has given me some serious insight into where both companies could improve their next camera design. It's not brain surgery, just common sense ... which apparently isn't as common as we might hope.

    Sure, you can let Canon off the hook if you so desire. That's your choice ... but when I step up ... I've got a few ideas I want to see NEXT.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

    flickr & Sdi

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by swgod98 View Post
    I think Nikon and Canon have an agreement. You stay away from feature X and I'll stay away from feature Y. Seriously...if Canon could make a flash system like Nikon, or if Nikon could make a sensor (read ISO performance) like Canon)...

    I dont' know. The world might end
    I agree with you, I think its all marketing..
    I personally don't think the 40D will be a revolution or anything..just another middle step

    Quote Originally Posted by pagnamenta View Post
    Well shit, maybe they can join forces and dominate the photography world even more. Of course, the company would still have to be called Canon...
    hell yeh! Canon dominance has never tasted better.

    Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    I still shoot with a 10D and recently purchased toy camera the Rebel XT. I have seen no reason to upgrade to the 20 or 30D, the 40D may be in my future if the feature set looks good to me.

    So no, anything Canon offers goes in my bag doesn't apply to me, I've happily skipped the last two as not being enough stuff to put away my 10D.

    Also my other Canons haven't had it, they are both working perfectly and still taking fine photographs, so there is no need to upgrade because of a bum camera.

    Peer pressure???!! come on! what a bunch of cr@p.

    Not enough of an improvement? We actually don't even know what the specs. are yet how could anyone possibly answer that?

    I have to agree with Forno there is a slant there, knowing your usual opinions the choices have a slant that:
    1) Canon buyers buy anything new from Canon because it's Canon.
    2) I will only replace my camera if the old one is broken, not alway a reason, this maybe fits my reason best, but still doesn't cover it.
    3) Suggesting Canon buyers are followers and have to keep up with the jones' when buying camera gear. This BTW doesn't even enter at all in my thought process: see the gear I am shooting with.
    I will admit I am a Canon fanboy (yet I hope to get a Nikon D80? figure that)
    and I agree, buy what you want and not what the crowd is going to do

    a 10D? if I had that camera I wouldn't sell it until my grandpa days (I'm 18 atm) a dSLR is a dSLR and you all know that in the end its the photographer that makes the difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    No needs for EF-S glass here, my Tokina UWA is just fine. Every other focal lenth is covered. I feel a little abandoned by Canon with new lenses concentrating on EF-S but only slightly so.

    I paid US$1450 for my 10D which is still in line with what a new DSLR is going for now. I have gotten my moneys worth. Nothing out there is enough different to make me run out for a new body.

    I wait with baited breath to see what Sony's next offering is, if they ever offer anything new in the SLR market. I doubt you'll see a fantastic new innovative camera body. The technology has caught up with itself. The improvements will be minor.

    Film cameras stayed the same for years and years after the intro of the 35mm format. Then the SLR was born and that was a huge improvement. In the late 80's Canon introduced the EOS system and an AF revolution was born. After the EOS mount was introduced the evolution was slow, until digital technology became such that it was affordable by the masses.

    Digital has shown great gains for about the last 7 years after a slow start in the mid 90s. Now the technology has slowed, it's been obvious in the introduction of new models of anyone's DSLRs. If Canon isn't offering what you feel you need, move on, I am perfectly satisfied with my Canon products and really don't feel a huge need to run out and upgrade to the latest greatest.
    I think the next BIG thing is long overdue, like the whole Canon XT thing was like a half revolution
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

    Flickr

    Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, Wyoming
    Posts
    1,043

    Actually

    Konica(before Minolta)introduced the first AF camera. Polaroid then introduced the first AF SLR, and then Pentax introduced the first 35mm SLR. Minolta introduced the integrated AF SLR soon after with the motor and the sensors located in the body(1985).
    Canon followed with the EOS 650 in 1987, Nikon followed in 1988.
    You are right I hadn't read the argument in the Rumor thread until after I had commented on this thread. After reading most of that thread, the only thing I can see that you are upset with Canon is that they didn't incorporate IS in the body.

    I hope someone builds the perfect system for you and you can come here and preach it to everyone. I am perfectly satisfied with my Canon system and I have no real desire to upgrade my stuff works, I don't find IS to be any kind of magic bullet and get by with only one lens with IS...and I still manage(my apologies to everyone here)
    TO GET THE SHOT

    That's what we're here for isn't it?
    Last edited by TenD; 08-09-2007 at 09:31 PM.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

    Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •