• Yes ... my other Canon has had it ... time for new

2 15.38%
  • Maybe ... I need peer pressure though, lots of it

1 7.69%
  • No way ... it's not enough of an improvement for me

7 53.85%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So ... who's in for a EOS 40D?

The poll is to determine whether or not Canon has gone FAR ENOUGH in the design of this mid-grade upgrade to even bother putting it on the store shelf.

If you don't feel you know enough to participate in the poll ... join the unhappy throng ... because with the way this product has been promoted ... no one has a clue. I guess this could be termed:

"GUESS WHAT'S IN THE BOX!"

Feel free to post a supporting comment to your choice, because ENQUIRING minds want to know.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-09-2007 at 12:52 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I say maybe because we still don't know what the final spec sheet is. If it doesn't have what I want I'll probably get a referbed 20D.
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Is it really going to be that much of an improvement over the 30D?
    CodyBorrowman.com

Canon EOS 30D - EF50mm 1.8 - Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 DG + Hoya UV Filter - Sigma EF500 flash - EFS 18-55mm Kit lens - 60GB Vosonic HDD/Viewer - SanDisk ultraII 2.0GB x3 - Chinese Grip (modified to actually work) - Apeture Cable Release - Manfrotto Monopod - Manfrotto Lightweight Alloy Tripod -

Don:

Please add "Waiting for the 5D replacement instead" so that I can participate in your poll! Thanks!
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

The biggest improvement I want Canon to make is a better AF system. Something like the 5D's AF would be great. The dust removal system is good too, but definitely not worth the upgrade. I don't want a bigger screen, that just gets in the way of the important controls on the back. AF assist would be nice and pop up flash trigger like Nikon has would be great. I guess it's too much to ask for though...

Quote Originally Posted by pagnamenta View Post
    AF assist would be nice and pop up flash trigger like Nikon has would be great. I guess it's too much to ask for though...
    I think Nikon and Canon have an agreement. You stay away from feature X and I'll stay away from feature Y. Seriously...if Canon could make a flash system like Nikon, or if Nikon could make a sensor (read ISO performance) like Canon)...

I dont' know. The world might end

Well shit, maybe they can join forces and dominate the photography world even more. Of course, the company would still have to be called Canon...

You do bring up a good point though. Perhaps both companies respect each other's products and aren't interested in further development in those areas. Or maybe both companies have totally different views on photography and thus their values are different. It just makes me wonder why Nikon doesn't have better sensors, even full frame sensors, and why Canon doesn't make their flash units better.

Humble opinion

Kinda early to judge this baby we'll need to have the DCRP boys do some playing with it. I bought the 30d for many reasons over top the 20d. I wanted iso 1600
    with limit noise and some other stuff. For me i cannot see the 40d performing that much better that i would give this baby up. For that matter do a side by side comparison of the 30d and the 5d. DP's site has that, sorry dunno if it can be done here. Anyways i think the 30d out performs the 5d especially in price...lol. Apples and oranges...i know. (But what do I know)

Don your poll is all out of shape!
    Canon 350D l EF-S 10-22 l EF-S 17-55 l EF 50 f/1.8 l EF 70-200 2.8 IS l 430EX l

Fornography

www.vicwrx.com.au

Cool Arrogance in presentation ...

Forno,

while I appreciate hilarity as much as the next guy, there is nothing wrong with the poll. It specifies reasoning and intent. That's all I need to know.

If Canon wants their own answers, let them offer a few themselves. LOL

This is too weird.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi