Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

30D lens questions

About to order a new 30D it comes with the 28 mm - 135 mm - f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF lens. I am also going to yellowstone at the end of August and will be breaking it in there. I just want to know roughly how far away will i be able to shoot with this lens? Any other lens suggestions? If so can you explain in semi plain english why? I would like to shoot as much wildlife as i can but not sure how far away everything will be. I also dont have a HUGE budget for purchasing another lens, about a grand extra for the second lens. I have been looking for a break down from focal length to actual feet and i am not having much luck so in turn having a hard time picking out a lens to go with the one i am getting. Thanks in advance.
    Adam

Also i can get this with the normal 18-55 or body only of course. My overall budget is about 2500 though, i already have a speedlite flash and plan on getting the battery grip and filters separately so those do not count against my budget.
    Last edited by ayjay23; 07-29-2007 at 01:47 AM. Reason: left stuff out

To fit a whole person in the lens at 135mm I recall having to shuffle down the trail about 50 feet. From 15 feet it's a head shot (of course; you have zoom). So; at 100 feet, I think the person / animal will be about 1/4 the frame high. This is all ancient memory since I maily use shorter lenses now (55mm).

So; another $1000. There's the Sigma Bigma (50-500mm). It's great for good daylight shooting, a huge range, great image quality, and if you're getting a grip I guess you're not concerned with weight. Also; it fits the budget. The Canon 70-200 f4.0 IS would be an excellent choice (amazing lens). The bigma would allow sniping birds off distant trees, but you probably should get a monopod too since you need a LOT of light to get a clean shot with a non-IS 500mm lens (ie: you need about 1/1000th shutter speed - hard to do at f6.3 under a forest canope). The monopod would allow for about 1/400th for a clean looking shot.

The Canon 70-200 f4.0IS has amazing optics, and the IS would be like using a monopod as far as not having camera shake (ie: you don't need the super fast shutter speeds - something not too possible in the forest).

Another option is the Canon 70-200 f2.8 non-IS, slightly more than the Bigma (about $1000 I think). The f2.8 would give you a LOT more light.

The various versions of the Canon 70-200 are simply the best optics available in a short-tele zoom lens. They rival the Image Quality found in many prime lenses.

I would go Ultra Wide instead for the landscapes, but you said you want wildlife. I really like my Canon 10-22 ($600). If you decide you actually do want landscapes then consider that or the Tokina.

You could get the Tokina (about $400) + a Canon 70-200 f4.0 non-IS (about $500).

Whatever you get, consider a circular polarizer for it.
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Lightbulb In the field ... long glass

A good additional lens pair up for your Canon 28-135mm ... that will really get you close to the ani-mules ... without getting eaten ... is the SIGMA APO 170-500mm f/5-6.3 DG (<-- Click on this link), which is the least costly entry into this range.

You can be 500 feet away from a subject and get a dandy shot of it. For its focal length, it really is a lightweight lens, but you will need to shoot a little on the quick side to eliminate camera shake. My recommendation is no slower than 1/250th, unless you have a tripod.

I hope that is semi-plain enough for you.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-31-2007 at 07:45 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi