Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

some shots with Sigma 17-70 (sold lens a while ago)

here are some shots i made with Sigma, while i liked its low light capabilities day light shots were not tack sharp and often on softer side (focus problems on Xti?). See yourself, shots from Innsbruck, Boden lake, Tirol and Swarovski museum. Esp disappointing were mountain waterfall and lake. Night shots were just great however.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

a few more Sigma 17-70 pix

here missing shots of Swarovski museum, Phil Collins open air concert and city ski line after summer rain.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Personally, I don't see any softness issues with these shots (given their size its hard to tell). Besides some underexposures, they all look just fine to me?
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

Images look pretty sharp to me. Pretty much on par with my 17 - 70.

hard to tell

i agree, at this size impossible to see but when i enlarge in a viewer then pix are softer than i would like, might be not as bad but soft... i now tested Canon 28-105 II and believe it or not but sharpness improved dramatically. as for underexposure, right, i am still learning and i have read it somewhere that underexposed pix easier to correct in photoshop. so i prefer this way to overexposure. hopefully i will learn soon about exposure so i can avoid this problem.

i guess my 17-70 was in some way a lemon, not terrible but small lemon. however when i spend 300 i like the lens to do the job and canon cost me the same as 17-70.