Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: symmetry

I wouldn't mind doing a wedding, but as an informal photographer rather than a formal one, as I'm only really an amateur, to put it bluntly, at the moment, so would likely manage to make a mess of the photographs. And despite that not being much of a problem for what I normally do, that's not good for a wedding.
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I shot a wedding, once. How do you get past the guilt if something does NOT go as the couple expected? Or even what you expected?

How do you expect ... the unexpected?

And how do you shoot it if she is ... expecting?

Oh, and yes, I expect an answer ...
    From my working experience with wedding photography...

1. Handle the unexpected...by expecting it. There is usually something that throws a kink in the plans. Having an assistant can help but I really have to be on top of every little thing. the "13" minutes of ceremony is not the time to fiddle around with camera settings. To avoid missing important shots I always have 2 Cameras on me...one with my 70-200 and the other with my 17-55.

2. If the bride is expecting..ask her how she wants to be shot, then be creative with posing and angles. If she is sensitive about her size use angles that minimize.

3. To me, the most important aspect of wedding photography is being able to bond with the bride and groom. If they feel comfortable with me and trust me, I find that I get more relaxed and impactful images.

I always scout out the area before I shoot, at the time of day the wedding is being held at and I sketch down visualizations I have in my mind of poses, angles, and lighting, and commit them to memory before the wedding so I have a working template to fall back on. I also scour the internet for other Las Vegas wedding photographers and get ideas that I can utilize, but in my own style. Between this homework and the brides requests, I find myself well prepared and confident.

Sorry for the disertation, but I hope it helps. Wedding photography can be big money (well, it is here in Vegas) and there is a ton of competition and talent out there. That being said, you have to start somewhere and break into the buisness, so make a go of it..prepare and research before each shoot, and free your mind of waivering confidence so you can put your focus into your own creative approach.

I shot a wedding too a while back. I had a lot of fun. I didn't make any money but it was good experience.

So to bring this thread further way from Adam's photo... I guess the ideal FLs for shooting a wedding would be 17-55 ish and 70-200 ish, do you think you could do it with two primes instead? say 35mm and 135mm? or would you die before giving up your zooms?
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Nickcanada View Post
    I shot a wedding too a while back. I had a lot of fun. I didn't make any money but it was good experience.

So to bring this thread further way from Adam's photo... I guess the ideal FLs for shooting a wedding would be 17-55 ish and 70-200 ish, do you think you could do it with two primes instead? say 35mm and 135mm? or would you die before giving up your zooms?
    The only primes that I have shot with are the Nikkor 50mm and the 105. From my limited experience, the 17-55 and 70-200 offer much more flexibility whilst neck and neck with image quality. Not to mention that the IS/VR comes in very handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickcanada View Post

haha it doesn't bother me at all. it keeps the thread at the top so i win either way.

i honestly didn't shoot at 71-200mm at all. it would have been nice...say if i had another canon body instead of the d2xs, but it isn't necessary. and you could definitely shoot a wedding with primes if you wanted. it'll be tough, but it'll work. i found the f/2.8 being pretty limiting and shot quite a bit with the 50mm...at the reception. and now that i've shot the wedding, i think i'd rather have the 17-55mm than the 24-70mm. and that IS! wish there was a 17-70 f/2.8 IS. i don't care how big and heavy it is, i would rock it like there was no tomorrow.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

Quote Originally Posted by adam75south View Post
    haha it doesn't bother me at all. it keeps the thread at the top so i win either way.

i honestly didn't shoot at 71-200mm at all. it would have been nice...say if i had another canon body instead of the d2xs, but it isn't necessary. and you could definitely shoot a wedding with primes if you wanted. it'll be tough, but it'll work. i found the f/2.8 being pretty limiting and shot quite a bit with the 50mm...at the reception. and now that i've shot the wedding, i think i'd rather have the 17-55mm than the 24-70mm. and that IS! wish there was a 17-70 f/2.8 IS. i don't care how big and heavy it is, i would rock it like there was no tomorrow.
    2.8 limiting because it doesn't let enough light in or because of depth of field issues?

IS, Pffff I can hand hold 35mm at 1/15 I don't need no stinking IS! 135mm is a different story though....

What general focal lengths were ya using most?
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

not letting enough light in. i prefer to shoot at 1/100s and above if possible. i ended up having to shoot at 1/20s alot. flash helps out, but can't fix everything. i put it on second curtain sync and it worked out ok. i try to use ambient and only fill with flash, but sometimes you gotta use the flash to speed things up.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

We've seen CW shoot an entire wedding with primes before, and they were excellent photos of his usual standard. I just wish someone brought out a 17-70 f2.8 like Adam suggested. Even without IS or VR I'd get it because the 17-28 range is so much more convenient to have built in compared to a 28-70 lens and then having to change to a wideangle lens. Great shot Adam, that guy is buff. Your lighting was done well to show his muscle tone.
    Nikon D700 | SB600 | SB-80DX | 2xSB-26 | 18-35 f/3.5-4.5 | 24-85 f/3.5-4.5G | 50 f/1.4 G | 105 f/2.8 VR | 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR

flickr