Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: symmetry

symmetry

i don't usually make captions for my pics, but i guess if i had to this would have to be called symmetry.

this is shawn, a good friend of mine. i took these pictures a couple of days before his most recent show this weekend and he won it. he won his pro card and will be a professional body builder now.

i couldn't think of anything clever for this one, so you get no fancy edit. just a high contrast b&w.

c&c my carpet. needs to be vacuumed huh?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

I could do that...
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

Pfffff, I could take him.

As far as critiques goes, maybe a different angle/crop. It looks a little too head on, but I guess you were going for symmetry... so I guess just ignore me... I'm tired and Mondays suck.

How did the wedding go?
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

the wedding went awesome. i'm not sure the total count of pictures, but i know it was over 1000 and about 20gigs between the 30d and the d2xs. i transferred them to my laptop at good times to where i never had to go through deleting pictures or anything.

the ceremony lasted all of 13 minutes. i popped off as many as i could. couldn't even hardly think straight, but somehow had the presence of mind to change from AI servo as they were walking down the isle to one shot whatever focus when the regular stuff was going on. then got my ass back in the isle before they walked back up it. i didn't change my settings during the ceremony, some are a little underexposed, but nothing bad.

took a TON of formals. the regular stuff. just lined up. and did it outside so i could get larger depth of field and the whole ISO 100 thing was nice too.

the chapel was pretty much beautiful. huge...i think you call them gothic arches...the ones that come to a point?? but it was like that. very cool.

the reception, although lit very dimly, was evenly lit! the 50mm 1.4 really shined at this point. lots of underexposures shooting at ISO 3200 f/2.8 and 1/40s. focus was a problem, but i took enough pictures to where there were alot of keepers.

anyway, sorry for the book i just wrote. but that pretty much sums it up.

i'm not sure if there's anything spectacular in there, but from what i can tell they were consistently good. i spent yesterday putting them on the computer and looking at them. i guess i'd better start editing them now.
    Last edited by adam75south; 07-30-2007 at 07:00 AM.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

Sweet! I'm looking forward to seeing the results!

I want to shoot a wedding now.
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

all i have to say is....try and get a second body....and get at least 2 cards for each camera...and a laptop to transfer the pictures to as you fill up each card. and if you can hire someone to watch your stuff and do the transferring for you that's nice. and buy slacks with large pockets, preferrable cargo pockets. and a light meter definitely doesn't hurt.

luckily i was prepared and everything went well for me. it was pretty unorganized and i had no idea what i was doing, but i never stopped taking pictures and i never let people think i didn't know what i was doing. when they asked about formals, i was firm with how to position them and made quick decisions...even though i had no clue to what i was doing at all. i took 3 shots of each group and on the last, i told them "look at me". looking back it definitely paid off because a lot of them at least 1 or two weren't looking. in hindsight a 1, 2, 3 count might have been a good idea too. i just shot. besides the ceremony and formals, everything else was a breeze.
    website

Quote Originally Posted by Nickcanada View Post
    Sweet! I'm looking forward to seeing the results!

I want to shoot a wedding now.

I shot a wedding, once. How do you get past the guilt if something does NOT go as the couple expected? Or even what you expected?

How do you expect ... the unexpected?

And how do you shoot it if she is ... expecting?

Oh, and yes, I expect an answer ...
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by adam75south View Post
    the ceremony lasted all of 13 minutes. i popped off as many as i could. couldn't even hardly think straight, but somehow had the presence of mind to change from AI servo as they were walking down the isle to one shot whatever focus when the regular stuff was going on. then got my ass back in the isle before they walked back up it. i didn't change my settings during the ceremony, some are a little underexposed, but nothing bad.
    Adam - Have you ever considered the use of custom function 4-1? I don't know if you a are familiar with it but by setting custom function 4 from 0 (default) to 1, you move the focus function to the * button on the camera so you have separate buttons for focus and exposure (exposure stays on the shutter button). I have found this setup to be great when shooting moving subjects as they can move into a different exposure scenario pretty quickly. By leaving the focus on AI servo, a quick touch of the * button will give you instant focus like the 'one shot' setting and holding it down will make it track like the normal AI servo. This is very useful as well when using lenses that have full time manual adjustment. If the AF starts going wonky because it doesn't like what you are focusing on, you can do a manual adjustment and click the shot without having to switch the lens from auto to manual and back. It took some time to get used to but I don't think that I could ever go back now.

Anyway, sorry if you are already aware of this but I thought it might help you out. Don't forget to show us some shots.

Quote Originally Posted by nqjudo View Post
    Adam - Have you ever considered the use of custom function 4-1? I don't know if you a are familiar with it but by setting custom function 4 from 0 (default) to 1, you move the focus function to the * button on the camera so you have separate buttons for focus and exposure (exposure stays on the shutter button). I have found this setup to be great when shooting moving subjects as they can move into a different exposure scenario pretty quickly. By leaving the focus on AI servo, a quick touch of the * button will give you instant focus like the 'one shot' setting and holding it down will make it track like the normal AI servo. This is very useful as well when using lenses that have full time manual adjustment. If the AF starts going wonky because it doesn't like what you are focusing on, you can do a manual adjustment and click the shot without having to switch the lens from auto to manual and back. It took some time to get used to but I don't think that I could ever go back now.

Anyway, sorry if you are already aware of this but I thought it might help you out. Don't forget to show us some shots.
    yea i've heard of that, but i have yet to use it. sounds awesome though. the d2xs has a button you can use to lock focus and i liked using that alot better than using the shutter. i'll have to try that.
    website

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I shot a wedding, once. How do you get past the guilt if something does NOT go as the couple expected? Or even what you expected?

How do you expect ... the unexpected?

And how do you shoot it if she is ... expecting?

Oh, and yes, I expect an answer ...
    my answer. expect nothing.

i went in not knowing much at all about anything. i went to their rehearsal so i knew how they'd be set up during the ceremony, but i had no plan whatsoever. i winged it.

but i did have her send me an email of everything she wanted a picture of...and used it alot during the formals, but that was it. i had read that over a few times so i knew everything she wanted a picture of and it was no problem.

i'm not saying that's the way to go though. but it worked out ok for me.
    website