Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie all over again - 430EX

So I bought a flash!!--the Canon 430EX. Now I face the learning curve. The manual sucks, but I found a .pdf online of the 420EX manual and it is much better. Still, I've got a lot to learn, and so far I'm feeling confused and dim. I got it because I was getting frustrated with my macros and semi-macros and flower shots. Not enough light, so to expose properly I needed wider apertures and slower shutter speeds. That meant mighty lean DOF and camera shake. So--any advice as to technique with the 430EX is greatly appreciated.

I made a couple of DIY accessories because I don't have any more money left to buy them. I made a mini softbox from a 32oz plastic yogurt container (cut a rectangle in the bottom for the flash, line the inside with foil tape, glue a piece of transluscent white plastic over the opening), and a "lightsphere" from a 16oz rubbing alcohol bottle (cut off the top, line the edges with some cloth tape for a snug fit.)

I ran some tests. All shot at the same focal length, in manual with the same shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. What do you think?

1. Ambient light. Early evening window light only.
    Name:  IMG_1946.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  139.2 KB

2. Built in XTi/400D flash, unmodified
    Name:  IMG_1947.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  142.6 KB

3. 430EX, straight, unmodified
    Name:  IMG_1948.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  140.4 KB

4. 430EX, ceiling bounce, unmodified (8 ft, white)
    Name:  IMG_1949.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  139.8 KB

5. 430EX, ceiling bounce, alcohol bottle (8 ft, white)
    Name:  IMG_1950.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  138.8 KB

6. 430EX, straight, yogurt container softbox
    Name:  IMG_1951.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  136.9 KB
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

Congrats on the purchase! I think a external flash is an essential tool.... now all I have to do, like you, is learn how to use the darn thing. It seems a little mysterious to me still, probably because I don't use it enough.

Good luck!
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

And so another strobist was born. . .

Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

"Strobist"? Sounds dirty.

Something I found funny in the pictures were that the plain ceiling-bounced one didn't show shadows behind the figure whereas the ceiling-bounced one with the
    alcohol bottle did...I guess some of the light refracted straight through the bottle to the figure. Interesting results though.

Nick--it is indeed mysterious, but then that's ow I felt when I started photography, and now I've a small amount of confidence that I know what I'm doing.

Andy--yeah, I've been surfing strobist for about a month now. I have to wade through all the off camera/studio stuff. What I need is a "Dummy's" guide type thing. The manual should take care of that, but it's not really very well written, to say the least.

Dawoofo--that's the idea behind the alcohol bottle. It's a poor man's Gary Fong Lightsphere.

I took some pictures in the produce department with the yogurt container softbox. I need to process them & post them, but I was pleased with the lighting. The only problem is that the yogurt container takes up too much room in my bag. I need something that folds up.
    Adam
    -------------

My Etsy store

This is the most practical site I've ever encountered dealing with flash:

http://www.planetneil.com/faq/flash-techniques.html

@Canon site

I am sure you would have read at the Canon's site itself. See the link Speedlite Flash Online Tutorial. I found this very good, though not sure how helpful it will be for you.
    Canon EOS 1000D with 18-55 EF-S IS
    Canon PowerShot A95

My Flickr Photos

Thanks for the tips, everyone.
    Adam
    -------------

My Etsy store

Off Camera Hot Shoe

I also increased my flexibility with both a single and multiple flash system by use of an OFF CAMERA HOT SHOE. This direct wired-device allows you to get out of the "flash in-line with the lens" problems you encounter with a fixed shoe shot (shadows, red-eye, direct flash reflection, etc.).

Name:  Canon-Off-Camera-Shoe-Cord-.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  18.4 KB

Yes, without a flash bracket you will have to hold the flash off to one side or the other, but it can offer immediate relief to flash issues.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Next person who suggests that I buy more photo equipment is gonna get an ass kickin' from my wife!
    Adam
    -------------

My Etsy store