Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Post Fujifilm FinePix S8000fd

Fuji Link
    DCRP Link

-8.0 effective Megapixel CCD
    -F2.8-4.5, 18X optical zoom lens, equivalent to 27 - 486 mm
    -Optical image stabilization (CCD-shift type)
    -2.5" LCD with 230k pixels + electronic viewfinder with the same resolution
    -Full manual controls
    -ISO goes to 1600 at full resolution, 6400 at half resolution
    -Can shoot at 15 frames/second, albeit at 2MP resolution (at full res it's just -three shots at 1.3 fps)
    -Face detection feature finds up to ten faces and ensures proper exposure
    -New automatic redeye removal feature
    -Records movies at 640 x 480 (30 fps) with sound
    -58MB onboard memory + xD/SD/SDHC memory card slot
    -USB 2.0 High Speed supported
    -Uses four AA batteries
    -Ships in September for $400

I'm intrigued at Fuji's ISO capability...something my S3 simply cannot compete with. I really don't have a useable ISO above 200 and even then I stick to 100. Even the lens on this looks impressive, with a better wide angle and telephoto reach.

On the downside I would probably lose battery life making the switch, some burst speed, the rotating LCD, stereo sound recording, and probably more. There is no perfect do-it-all camera though so there are always tradeoffs.

I'll be awaiting this review.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Ya I'm not sure where I sit on this. From what I can tell it's an upgrade to the S7XX series, not an upgrade to the S6k or S9k.
    The OIS and the memory card slots are a welcome sight, if nothing else but to silence the critics of those 2 areas of Fuji's cameras but I'm not sure if I like the fact that Fuji put more MP onto a smaller sensor, and one that's not a super CCD at that. I'm going to have to see how that long end of the zoom works out too.

Should be interesting to see how this all shakes out, I'm hoping that Fuji didn't adopt a "if you can't beat them, join them" attitude because feature for feature, and almost spec for spec, these cameras are lining up almost perfectly with the competition now. I chose a Fuji over the competition for reason after all.
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

While I love the performance of my S3 there is one thing time after time that really gets me...image noise. There is just too much. I need to find an alternative without going to a DSLR and losing a bunch of features and adding a large cost.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Visual Reality View Post
    While I love the performance of my S3 there is one thing time after time that really gets me...image noise. There is just too much. I need to find an alternative without going to a DSLR and losing a bunch of features and adding a large cost.
    Ya the noise is what I'm worried about too. You could wait to see if there an upgrade to the S6k / S9k series and then see if it's worth upgrading to one of those or you can choose from some of the excellent cameras that are currently out like the S6k / S700 / S9k, F30 / F31fd.
    I guess you have to stack up features vs image quality at this point. Quite frankly if anybody has one of the 5 cameras I just mentioned I would hang onto them until after the reviews hit the net on the new stuff at least.
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

Quote Originally Posted by P_Schneider View Post
    From what I can tell it's an upgrade to the S7XX series, not an upgrade to the S6k or S9k.
    I agree Paul. No Super CCD? Why? Also did away with the manual zooming barrel I see. I've gotten to like that part of the S6K a lot.

I'm to the point now that if I've got $400 to plunk down on a camera I'll just save it until I have two or three hundred more and get a DSLR with kit lens. May be 5 years before I can get the lenses I want but I think it'd be worth it. Just my humble opinion.

Bud
    Fuji FinePix S6000fd

Quote Originally Posted by bdod1880 View Post
    I agree Paul. No Super CCD? Why? Also did away with the manual zooming barrel I see. I've gotten to like that part of the S6K a lot.

I'm to the point now that if I've got $400 to plunk down on a camera I'll just save it until I have two or three hundred more and get a DSLR with kit lens. May be 5 years before I can get the lenses I want but I think it'd be worth it. Just my humble opinion.

Bud
    I think I'm at that same place too Bud. If I decide to spend more than that I would look real hard at a Pentax K10D or K100D which can be had for around $700 - $1000 respectively with a couple of lenses included in that price.
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

Quote Originally Posted by P_Schneider View Post
    I think I'm at that same place too Bud. If I decide to spend more than that I would look real hard at a Pentax K10D or K100D which can be had for around $700 - $1000 respectively with a couple of lenses included in that price.
    DSLR is a different animal.

I'm really confused about this no-SuperCCD stuff. The FUJI site claims "dual IS", referring to their super sensitive sensors. That sure sounds like SuperCCD.
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Quote Originally Posted by Vich View Post

I'm really confused about this no-SuperCCD stuff. The FUJI site claims "dual IS", referring to their super sensitive sensors. That sure sounds like SuperCCD.
    Yep, well aware of the differences but it will be the next step for me. That won't be for awhile though since I'm still having a lot of fun with my S6k.
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

Quote Originally Posted by Vich View Post
    Super CCD is much larger sensor than normal CCD senzor (1/1.7, 1/1.6 versus 1/2.5 or 1/2.35 in s8000fd) so it requires much larger and heavier lens and body. You simply cannot put 15x or 18x zoom lens on bigger senzor - it will be large as NASA telescope and the camera body will be like the body of Nikon D2x... for example. Smaller sensors - you can have zoom range you like, small body...

Guess we have to wait for 10.7x zoom s6000 follower with Super CCD and CCD Shift IS, RAW, 1/1.6 sensor, flash hot-shoe and MAX 8mpx... that will be the killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post

Guess we have to wait for 10.7x zoom s6000 follower with Super CCD and CCD Shift IS, RAW, 1/1.6 sensor, flash hot-shoe and MAX 8mpx... that will be the killer.
    That would make for the best ultrazoom out there.... We can hope.

As long as we are wishing, higher resolution evf and a RAW button on the body, not buried in the menus.
    Digital:
    Canon PowerShot A570 IS

Nikon D5000

Film:
    Fujica ST605n
    Olympus XA

Cameras from my past:
    Fujifilm S6000fd; Canon PowerShot S50; Canon PowerShot A40; Nikon N8008s; Pentax Spotmatic F; Fujica ST605; Canon Canonet GIII QL19