Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 35mm 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Nickcanada View Post
    What are insurance and shipping costs like? I did a quick B&H shipping quote, it said it would cost like $34. so that would bring the total up to about $1 234 canadian + tax....

You know that is a pain in the ass because I noticed a small imperfection in the front element and went to the store to get them to order me a new one. That is the reason I wanted to buy locally. So if I order from B and H and there is a problem with the lens I would have to pay shipping to send it back and then wait for a new one right?

Right now I have a new lens coming and I still have the original to use. I don't know, I think being able to walk into a store and have the people know your name is worth something. In the future I will probably buy down south, but I think I'll keep the 35mm I still think I got an ok deal on it, but what a downer! I hate that, I thought I was being so careful with this purchase!
    Nick - I buy from B&H regularly but only when I go to NYC so I have never had a delivery from them. I have friends who order often and the experience has always been good according to them. I looked on their site and it seems that you would be responsible for shipping costs in the event of a return/exchange but as you can choose your shipping method, you could get away with it for way less than 34$. Anyway, you would have to send that lens back an awful lot for it to eat up the money you saved on the purchase.

I used to support the local shops but at the end of the day it should about how many dollars I get to keep in my pocket. I'll take cash over someone knowing my name any day. My last trip to B&H saved me 700$ over Canadian retail. Personally I've always felt the same commitment to customer service from B&H as at my local shops. One advantage with B&H is that you are pretty much guaranteed that they will have plenty of stock. Not something every small shop can claim.

Anyway, glad you are still happy with the lens. Keep the shots coming. When is your next gig?

Quote Originally Posted by nqjudo View Post
    Nick - I buy from B&H regularly but only when I go to NYC so I have never had a delivery from them. I have friends who order often and the experience has always been good according to them. I looked on their site and it seems that you would be responsible for shipping costs in the event of a return/exchange but as you can choose your shipping method, you could get away with it for way less than 34$. Anyway, you would have to send that lens back an awful lot for it to eat up the money you saved on the purchase.

I used to support the local shops but at the end of the day it should about how many dollars I get to keep in my pocket. I'll take cash over someone knowing my name any day. My last trip to B&H saved me 700$ over Canadian retail. Personally I've always felt the same commitment to customer service from B&H as at my local shops. One advantage with B&H is that you are pretty much guaranteed that they will have plenty of stock. Not something every small shop can claim.

Anyway, glad you are still happy with the lens. Keep the shots coming. When is your next gig?
    Ya, was trying to make myself feel better about it but you are right. I still don't want to part with the lens though but next time I'll buy cheep.

Next gig is tonight actually! It's a new venue, so it'll be interesting.
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

a peek into a short telephoto

Hey Nick,

Here's a small sample of that 85mm f/1.8 bokeh ...

Name:  85mm-1.8-bokeh-A.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  223.6 KB
    85mm - f/1.8 - 1/1000 sec. - ISO-100 - Manual - Handheld - dist: 2 feet
    Natural sunlight - 3:20 PM - Slight framing crop

Personally, it pops for me.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-26-2007 at 02:13 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don, it would be really impressive if you grabbed that Zeiss 135/1.8...
    Christian Wright; Dip Phot
    EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | EOS-1V HS
    L: 14/2.8 II | 24/1.4 II | 35/1.4 | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 II | 135/2 | 180/3.5 Macro | 200/2.8 II | 400/2.8 IS | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-105/4 IS | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS
    580EX II | EF 12 II | EF 25 II

Red face When money is an issue ...

Quote Originally Posted by cwphoto View Post
    At $1400, that kind of photography is a little beyond my reach. What are you doing, running a lens store?

Only Mr. Nick can spring for that kind of pricey glass, this week. I was hard pressed to even grab the 85mm f/1.8 ... as an out of pocket expense (not investment - you need a business for that).

Once again ... as much as I enjoy professional-level glass ... it'll be another year before I could actually build an entry business on its use. I have so much more to learn about digital photography, it isn't even funny. People remark about my occasional skill, but it's not at a level I even feel remotely comfortable with.

I was considering being an assistant, teaching basic photography, for a year or two, just to learn a bit more by being asked questions from the ground floor. The questions allow for deeper insight into the pitfalls and occasional complications other people stumble into ... where my limited exposure would not allow.

For the time being, though, you can find me in the studio, the classroom, or huddled over my PC and graphics tablet (not making a dime) ... experimenting with my photography and graphic arts ... maintaining focus on getting my Photography Certificate.

Zeiss lenses ... hah!
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Hey Don, looking good!
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by cwphoto View Post
    Or a Voigtlander SL 125mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar macro...
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30