Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 35mm 1.4

Red face ISO-1600 ... shooting in the fast lane

Quote Originally Posted by adam75south View Post
    can the sony shoot high iso?
    The SONY can do ISO-1600 ... it is a bit noisier than the same from the Canon sensor, correctable through software, I understand.

I'm not shooting under such extreme lighting conditions, personally, so my experience is nada. It's pretty obvious that Nick's night clubbing will be a sensational source of feedback, in that regard.

Nick: If you could get your hands on a try/buy SIGMA 30mm f/1.4 EX HSM DC or a Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM for a comparison shoot, that would contribute mightly in what someone could expect with the "cheaper choice" as compared to the high-end offering. It's pretty safe to assume you are going to get top-drawer results with that kind of glass ("L") ... but, what can the slightly more budgetary-minded glass do in those cases?

You also might mentally benefit in the knowledge that your tentative (substantial) purchase is the absolute right way to go, via these kinds of comparitive/real-time results.

Also ... keeping track of the ISO you are requiring ... all good stuff.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-24-2007 at 02:03 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Question Fields of view ... what draws the line?

Obviously, the EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM is an outstanding full-frame or APC-S sensor lens ... it's just that killer price tag. If you don't remember the image, you'll remember what you paid for that lens.

The SIGMA 30mm f/1.4 EX HSM DC is designed only to work on APS-C sensors and that may be a source of vignetting at the f/2 or wider apertures. A side-by-side comparison between the two would probably be a lot more telling, in that regard. Plus the fact that there would be no graduation to an EOS 5D, if that were your plan, in the long run.

Canon also has the EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, which I have not heard much about, either good or bad, although it is not a "L"-class lens either. It can go full-frame or APS-C, having a "sweet spot" in there, somewhere. It's priced almost at the same level as the SIGMA 30mm ... are they effectively at the same performance level, also? I suspect so.

Seems like a flip of the coin, to be sure.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks for that link dusty.

Don, I can't find a listing for that sony 30mm 1.4 on any of the Canadian camera shop sites, but I did see one in "The Sony Store" retailing for 1650 Canadian.
    Who do they think they are, Canon?

I thought about the 30mm sigma... I've heard split opinions on it. Some swear by it and others have had bum copy, after bum copy. From what I've read corner sharpness is not so great. When I look at my pictures the focal point is often near the edges not the center so I would rarely take advantage of it's great center performance. Sigma is known to have focusing issues with Canon's cameras, not very good combo with F1.4. So those reasons along with the ability to go FF in the future pushed me over the edge in favor of the Canon. The Canon 28mm has pretty much the same issues.

I based my choice on the information I was able to gather about both lenses and wasn't really convinced until I got home and looked at the results. After that I knew it was staying in my bag. There is often a large increase in price from the mid grade glass to the higher end stuff, for my application I thought the higher end glass was worth it in the long run.

It's not all in the lens but the proper tool for the job makes a difference.
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Fully understandable, Nick, and congrats on going big and NOT staying at home!

I've been reluctant, since stepping on the DCRP, about dumping big money into primes, because most of my shots are literally all over the place ... indoors, outdoors, screen doors and what have you doors. My personal back issues concerning weight limitations have forbidden me to carry a lot of lenses, due to sheer weight, and a bag full of "L"-level primes ... well, you can readily imagine. My nature, I suppose.

The cost is roughly the same for each of these "L" beauties ... around $1100, except for the 85mm f/1.2L and 200mm f/1.8L. Perhaps, when I finally take it completely studio ... then ... maybe.

It's a handful of serious cash.

I've also had my eye on the 35mm f/1.4L for a long time ... and judging from my needs ... it'll probably stay there, too. I may pop for the 35mm f/2.0, sometime in the near future, as a fixed focal length between my 28mm f/2.8 and my 50mm f/1.8 II, but the 17-50mm f/2.8 does a reasonable job for my needs, overall. Another question is: SONY or Canon mount? I'm on the proverbial fence in this regard.

I can honestly say in the darkened venues you are shooting, this looks like a superior answer. Good eye!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-24-2007 at 03:46 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Red face SONY-glass

Quote Originally Posted by Nickcanada View Post
    Don, I can't find a listing for that sony 30mm 1.4 on any of the Canadian camera shop sites, but I did see one in "The Sony Store" retailing for 1650 Canadian.
    I believe that SONY might be a bit confused at how popular their camera is. Everyone has heard of "G" glass, right? NO! Of course, then again, you should take into consideration that it is a lot easier to drop your prices than it is to jack them up.

Give them a couple of years, I suspect the lens prices will drop, after the big studio shoppers back off and real world people filter in. I don't know of many local student photographers that can pop $1000 to $2000 for each quality "G"-lens they mount. Heck, they're going to have a dickens of a deal popping for the $1700 that SONY is claiming their new high-end body will cost.

Yes, you could say SONY's prices are at parity with Canon, or even a little bit higher, considering no IS in the lens is necessary .. and they have done a heck of a job sweeping the defunct Minolta high-end lens away from the market, buying and bidding them up off of e-bay ... so that their glass is the only game in town, other than whatever third-party SONY/Minolta-mounts that are still out there.

It's a big money game ... as usual.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-25-2007 at 06:28 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Did a little research ...

After reading "Nick's" demonstration of the EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, I felt inspired and I went and surveyed the quality of the $250 EF 35mm f/2. While the build is "plasticky" and has a bit of noise when focusing ... LOL ... it seems to be able to hold its own in a focusing flourish ... if it isn't too dark. As such, I've decided to add one to my collection of low-end Canon-PRIMES (28mm f/2.8 & 50mm f/1.8), just to drive it for a while. One of the positive aspects to this lens is that is uses the same 52mm filters that the other two low-end lenses do.

I am also anxious to see what the Phoenix 0.45x screw-on T/C adapter does with it. It'll drop it to 16mm f/2.5 on the EOS 3 35mm-film camera ... and to an effective 25mm f/2.5 on the EOS 20D.

While I'm over at Calumet Photographic, I'm also getting a pair of PocketWizard PLUS II Wireless Transceivers for $150/ea. (Educational discount) to trigger my twin 750W strobes. I've waited until the Fall semester restarted ... and it's now less than 30 days away. Rather than get caught in short supply, at that price, I'm grabbing them now.

I really tried living with the included sync cable and was rewarded with a 50% sync rate. Nothing ticks you off more, in a shoot, than strobes that won't cooperate and instead of a nice health flash image ... you get a sad looking gray to black image. These wireless triggers are quite a bit more ... sensitive and should provide a higher success rate. At least I hope they do.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    While I'm over at Calumet Photographic, I'm also getting a pair of PocketWizard PLUS II Wireless Transceivers for $150/ea. (Educational discount) to trigger my twin 750W strobes. I've waited until the Fall semester restarted ... and it's now less than 30 days away. Rather than get caught in short supply, at that price, I'm grabbing them now.

I really tried living with the included sync cable and was rewarded with a 50% sync rate. Nothing ticks you off more, in a shoot, than strobes that won't cooperate and instead of a nice health flash image ... you get a sad looking gray to black image. These wireless triggers are quite a bit more ... sensitive and should provide a higher success rate. At least I hope they do.
    Best $30 I ever spent... http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Radio-Sl...QQcmdZViewItem
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post

Your timing is impeccable Mr Schap. I have two of the PW Max versions in my shopping cart at Adorama as we speak. I'm more interested in using them to remote trigger one of my cameras for the upcoming soccer season, but the strobe activation also interests me.
    Christian Wright; Dip Phot
    EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | EOS-1V HS
    L: 14/2.8 II | 24/1.4 II | 35/1.4 | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 II | 135/2 | 180/3.5 Macro | 200/2.8 II | 400/2.8 IS | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-105/4 IS | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS
    580EX II | EF 12 II | EF 25 II

Quote Originally Posted by Nickcanada View Post
    Thanks for that link dusty.

Nick - For a purchase like this I wouldn't hesitate ordering from the U.S. With the huge gap in pricing, you could order from B&H and still save quite a few $$ after shipping and customs charges, especially with the US$ and CA$ being so close right now.

The more I look at your band pics, the more I think you have found a great niche for yourself. I hope you stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 24Peter View Post
    Pete- Did you end up having to buy multiple triggers or were the receivers available by themselves?
    Nikon D3, D300, F-100, 10.5 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, Zeiss 100 f/2, 105 f/2.5, 200 f/4 Micro, 200 f/2 VR, 300 f/2.8 AF-S II, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, SU-800, SB-900, 4xSB-800, 1.4x and 1.7x TC
    (2) Profoto Acute 2400 packs w/4 heads, Chimera Boxes