Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Budget of 1200, suggestions for lenses?

Ok, let's see how many will bite this.

I have read this form, spoke to some photographers about learning about lenses and now I want to find out what you guys think of what I should purchase.

My budget is roughly $1200. I plan to purchase the Canon XTI for around 700-800 kit which leaves me 400/500 dollars left. What lens should I purchase?

I plan to purchase the following outside the 1200 budget.

Buying these overtime
    Canon 50mm f/1.8?
    Some type of case.
    Memory (any recommendations?)
    Flash (speedlite perhaps)

Do I really need anything else? I want to make the first big bang purchase for the camera and lenses. I'm just stuck on which I should purchase. I know that some will question me about what I will intend to take shots off but I want to be as verstatile as possible. I won't be taking macro shots but I guess if I have the capabilty it would be nice but as long as it doesn't tap into the budget.

Hopefully room for 2 more lense within 500-600 budget left...roughly.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by nutsnbolts View Post
    Ok, let's see how many will bite this.

I have read this form, spoke to some photographers about learning about lenses and now I want to find out what you guys think of what I should purchase.

My budget is roughly $1200. I plan to purchase the Canon XTI for around 700-800 kit which leaves me 400/500 dollars left. What lens should I purchase?

I plan to purchase the following outside the 1200 budget.

Buying these overtime
    Canon 50mm f/1.8?
    Some type of case.
    Memory (any recommendations?)
    Flash (speedlite perhaps)

Do I really need anything else? I want to make the first big bang purchase for the camera and lenses. I'm just stuck on which I should purchase. I know that some will question me about what I will intend to take shots off but I want to be as verstatile as possible. I won't be taking macro shots but I guess if I have the capabilty it would be nice but as long as it doesn't tap into the budget.

Hopefully room for 2 more lense within 500-600 budget left...roughly.

Thanks in advance!
    it really depends on what you shoot...personally though...
    i'd either drop the kit lens and get the 18-50mm sigma and the cheap 75-300mm....or keep the kit lens and buy the 70-200mm f/4L...or 70-300mm IS.

good luck.

who wants to bet what rich will say??? haha. 10-22 baby.

i'd do the
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

Quote Originally Posted by adam75south View Post
    i
    who wants to bet what rich will say??? haha. 10-22 baby.
    Are you saying that I'm starting to sound like Don and his Tamron recommendations?
    Nikon D3, D300, F-100, 10.5 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, Zeiss 100 f/2, 105 f/2.5, 200 f/4 Micro, 200 f/2 VR, 300 f/2.8 AF-S II, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, SU-800, SB-900, 4xSB-800, 1.4x and 1.7x TC
    (2) Profoto Acute 2400 packs w/4 heads, Chimera Boxes

Cool Without any further definition ...

Look ... TAMRON, like SIGMA, is an inexpensive and solid decision in glass. I use it because it tends to produce what I need in my photography, without much fuss. Your mileage may differ.

If you have no budget issues, then using Canon "L" glass would probably be the better way to go.

This photographer has asked what he can get for $500. The answer is ... depends on the range you shoot and what kind of glass you are willing to settle for. You can get quite a bit of Phoenix (Chinese & Korean) glass for $500. Is it a quality item? Let's assume it has definite room for improvement. Opinions say "Better to look into a little more quality than that."

A decent walk around lens on an APS-C sensor camera would be the TAMRON SP AF17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD or the SIGMA 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC MACRO.

A reasonably low-cost telephoto: The TAMRON AF70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD MACRO or the SIGMA 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG MACRO.

Between these two lens choices, I would say your $500 budget has evaporated, but you have a decent range to pick for most photo opportunities. It's really that simple ... in the beginning.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-26-2007 at 10:40 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi