Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you get pics to look like this?

http://www.skateboarding.com/skate/p...789040,00.html

The pictures on that website (and the magazine) looks dark. I know they use a wide-angle lense for that fisheye effect, but how do they get it all dark and cenimatic looking?
    Last edited by s5pitfire; 12-23-2004 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s5pitfire
    http://www.skateboarding.com/skate/p...789040,00.html

The pictures on that website (and the magazine) looks dark. I know they use a wide-angle lense for that fisheye effect, but how do they get it all dark and cenimatic looking?
    Good question. It looks like this was taken using multiple synchronized flashes, and either post processed (or via white balance setting) with a blue cast for a cooler, darker effect. This could also have been an incidental byproduct of the camera settings.

Hard to tell as there is not much EXIF information other than it was processed on a MAC using Photoshop.

Once you have an image you can pretty much do what ever you want with it in Photoshop or other post-processing software. Even the fisheye effect can be post processed in (or out).
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

looks like the pic was set-up with at least two strong light sources. the guy's face looks almost fake. who knows, the guy could've been shot in a studio with green screen and then added to the scene. as mentioned by George it was processed in Photoshop, and I wouldn't be surpised at all if A LOT of post processing went into that shot. many of the dramatic elements can be identified:

time of day (appearance of sky with dark shadows) and location were picked

dramatic high-contrast artificial lighting

fisheye appearance

all of this is stuff that you don't see every day, which is why it is so eye-catching. I think the main element that makes this picture so dramatic is the lighting.

A Composite

It's a composite (two pictures combined to create one image) done in photoshop. It is impossible that there could have been so many light sources from so many directions but no shadows on the steps.

There's also the problem of focus on the subject's face. Why is detail so great everywhere except on the guy's face?

Probably not a composite

There are a lot of ways to light an image like this - and to get the shadows to look the way they do.

But we could quibble all day... so I just e-mailed the photographer to get HIS answer... LOL Hopefully he'll weigh in.

DigiDave

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Looks like a cut and paste to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    Looks like a cut and paste to me.
    I agree.
    It also looks like the skateboarder has been "Feathered". If you look closely (zoom if you wish) to the skateboarder, there is a very small and thin black "outline" around him (more like blue if im right, sry im kinda color blind). You don't see this anywhere else in the photograph.

Another thing, the shadows on the skater doesn't look right. If im correct the main light is 45 degrees to the right. B/c if you look at the shadows of the poles to the left on the ground.
    This has to mean the two really bright white spots to the left and right of the pic are created in PS. The one on the right has to be fake since if it were there, the shadows on the ground couldn't/wouldn't been there. And if that bright source from the right were there, i would expect a more stronger darker shadows on the ground and on the steps.

Where does that shadow on the board come from? if the photograph was lit this way.

Anywho
    ~Loveofselene
    A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into. - Ansel Adams

Canon 20D & Film Ti II Body (Virtical Grip for both bodies) + Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 (for sale) + Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L + Canon 70-200 F/4L + Canon 50mm F/1.4 + Canon 85mm F/1.8 + 420ex Speedlite

Not updated on a regular basis... www.binhsphotography.com

ODU 2010!

Let us know if the photographer responds, would love to know!!!]
    Even if it was done in Photoshop, it still was a good photo.

I think they probably took a ton of different shots and tweaked them a little in photoshop then picked out the one that looks best. I've taken some cinematic shots with my camera and have tweaked the brightness and depth a little to get a similar effect.

That light in the corner is a photoshop thing cuz it it where there the shadow on the board wouldnt be there. I am to wondering what the Photographer has to say.