Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Should I have waited?

With SONY developing their newer high-end camera body, the "Flagship" ... I'm wondering should I have waited ... before "jumping the gun" and purchasing the A100, last July (2006).

I mean, I can just imagine all the wonderful shots I would have missed, over the past year or so, not having its amazing IS capability ... and having had to rely on the non-IS equipped camera I have to get the 17-50mm low-light shots I've taken.

I figure if I WAIT about three more years ... I will have missed nearly 20,000 shot opportunities ... WAITING!

Look folks ... if you're waiting for the newest and most revolutionary thing on the block to show up ... you are just throwing away opportunities to catch the shots in your lifetime. Time expires ... all the time. It is a non-replaceable resource.

Just get your camera ... and get going!

WAIT!

No ... go on.

No, wait!

Well, you get the idea. Go mix it up and show us what you've got!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-24-2007 at 09:22 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Let me think about that for a while :-)
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

great philosophy don! its very true that once you decide you want something, you should go out and get it. get the one that you want, and begin enjoying it. I sell the alpha, or at least try to, and people are willing to wait until 2008 for their camera... i can't go more than a week without a camera, let alone six months!

the a100 is an amazing camera and while the a700 is supposed to be pretty incredible, it does not take away from the fact that the a100 is a great unit, affordable, versatile and an amazing value.

people go out and get your camera!
    Sony DSLRA100 w/ SAL18200
    Sony DSCW7B
    Sony DSCW80

Thumbs up Shoot it ... NOW!

Can you just imagine what would have happened if Mr. George Eastman would have waited for someone ELSE to develop roll-film and pocket-sized photography?

My advice (as well as a number of other on this board): Get in there and get that rig. Buy good to excellent glass to use on it ... and then move the glass up to the latest and greatest camera body ... if and when it is finally released.

I mean, you may not re-invent photography as we know it, but your contributions ... only make the art more vivid and meaningful.

Good luck in your photography efforts ... and to all a good night!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-24-2007 at 08:57 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Just so - often not worth waiting, I mean.

I see it the same way I see the bus system here in Cork.
    The scheduled 15:50 bus may show up, it may not. If it does, it may be on time, it might be early, it could be rather late.

So every day after work, if a bus doesn't show up within 9 minutes, I walk. The excercise a 45minute walk brings as opposed to taking the bus would even be beneficial, if it weren't for the fact that heavy traffic goes through central Cork, and every other part of Cork as well, and the traffic is constant, more or less.

Heh, now this ended on a Bash-Cork-tangent, when what I wanted to say was the first word, and that I'm looking forward to getting the A100 I ordered last week I didn't 'feel it up' in a shop first only because I'll adapt if it isn't gigantic, and I'm almost as allergic to salespeople as to the Cork bus system. And even so, it feels slightly dishonest to give the impression that you want to purchase something expensive when you have no intention whatsoever of doing so.
    Last edited by Bup; 07-27-2007 at 05:03 AM.

Lightbulb Use good glass ... and cut down wasted effort and time

After using the SONY A100 alongside the Canon EOS 20D ... I can honestly say, you'll delight in how nice you images can tun out ... if you use decent lenses. Like any othe camera, shooting through inferior glass leads to frustration and resentment. So, the key to this experience is to have at least one superior lens to take your images with.

As far as a PRIME lens goes, the standard Minolta AF 50mm f1.7 will provide an excellent shot. Minolta made a great number of these, so they are easy and inexpensive to acquire and there is rarely a complaint with it. You should find one for less than $50.

Not considered a "great" lens, but one that will serve you well, I have found the TAMRON AF18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) to have true utilitarian capability. It will easily outshoot the standard SONY DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 and provide a nice, quick telephoto capability. This lens sells for around $400.

For a more impressive look, getting a TAMRON SP AF17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) or SIGMA 18-50mm f/2.8 DG MACRO will suffice and allow for some good indoor shooting. The lenses are around $400.

SONY had released a Zeiss ZA 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 DT lens, which, from all reports, would be a major improvement over the standard 18-70mm "kit" lens, but it also has a significant cost of nearly $800. It still has the typical 16mm "barrel distortion" that most of these zooms do, but that shakes out quickly as you increase the focal length.

Despite anything else, remember to use good glass when you take images. You can transfer these lenses as time goes on, if you stay with the SONY DSLR line. That should not change, as they have a great deal of money invested in the production of lenses for it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-08-2007 at 12:51 PM.

flickr & Sdi