Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 516 of 723 FirstFirst ... 16416466506514515516517518526566616 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,160 of 7230
    Quote Originally Posted by downtrodden View Post
    blindeye, great shot, love these lil guys!
    Thank you! He is an awesome creature - loads of personality, for a reptile

BTW, I always enjoy your work. Keep it up!
    --
    BlindEye

Quote Originally Posted by blindeye View Post
    Regarding the WB... I am visually impaired (legally blind, whatever the PC term of the week is...). I perceive no color, due to a condition called rod monochromatism - everything is black & white. As a result, color correction is an absolute impossibility for me to improve on my own. I'm going to take a wild stab here and guess that the blue cast is due to the sofa cover in the background? Thanks for the heads up. Next time, I'll set up a black backdrop behind the alumalite to block that sort of thing.
    Considering your problem, i strongly suggest doing Black&Whites exclusively, i already do 80% of my portraits in B&W and i have no problem with colors. (other then the general male discrepancies)

I do however note, that good black&whites, aren't just desatured or set to monochrome in DPP, though i like their general look, i much prefer going into photoshop and adjusting my black&whites by hand using every color captured in the photo.

Much thanks on the setup, its alot simpler then i expected.
    Last edited by Csae; 01-19-2010 at 11:41 PM.
    Hey! Look its a shiny link! Click it!
    CasePhoto.ca

Don't click this one, no seriously... Don't!
    The Mandatory Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Csae View Post
    I'm actually a big fan of B&W, if you have problems with colors, just go black&white.

Seriously.

If i had the same problem, i wouldn't even think twice about it, even if i had the money, i wouldn't hire an assistant to color correct, i'd just go black&white.

Don't just desaturate images though, use the full range of colors captured to adjust the black&whites to your ideal look.
    I enjoy creating images that get a response from people. Of the responses I've received in the past, color is usually a big component. If I were creating an image purely for my own enjoyment, it wouldn't matter color or B&W. I could tweak either to my liking and be done with it (even though it might look pretty freaky to anyone with color vision).

However, I suppose I couldn't really go "wrong" with going all B&W. Almost any way I tweak it, it's still B&W, and would probably not appear as strange as one of my color images that I got all wrong. Interesting... Biggest problem is laziness... Really doing B&W well would involve a good deal of work/learning - as you said above, not just simple desaturation.

I usually have my wife give my images a quick glance for sanity, but in this case, she didn't mention anything. I'll show her again tomorrow and ask "are you sure there's nothing iffy about this one?"

Thank you for the encouragement regarding B&W. That may have been the catalyst for me to try a new venture.
    Last edited by blindeye; 01-20-2010 at 05:55 AM.
    --
    BlindEye

Well Blindeye, it's good to know another legally blind person is into photography- I have Stargardt Macular Dystrophy and so- I as well am legally blind with no possibility for correction.

best of luck- and yeah, BnW might be a good thing to try to work with...
    Canon 50D; 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F4L IS, 50 F1.8, BG-E2n

Downtrodden's Flickr - Deviant Art: LAME

^ I'm suprised at that.

And its also suprising how close you were, i imagine most people outside the field wouldn't quite notice, the problem is even worse if your monitor is not properly calibrated, mine isn't but is close enough.
    Hey! Look its a shiny link! Click it!
    CasePhoto.ca

Don't click this one, no seriously... Don't!
    The Mandatory Blog

If I were creating an image purely for my own enjoyment, it wouldn't matter color or B&W. I could tweak either to my liking and be done with it (even though it might look pretty freaky to anyone with color vision).
    I'd like to see some of these, seriously. Since photography is all about sharing your vision, I'd like to see what you like rather than what you think looks "correct."
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

Quote Originally Posted by downtrodden View Post
    Well Blindeye, it's good to know another legally blind person is into photography- I have Stargardt Macular Dystrophy and so- I as well am legally blind with no possibility for correction.

best of luck- and yeah, BnW might be a good thing to try to work with...
    It is definitely good to meet another "impaired" person (I really dislike the labels. We all do the best we can with what we've been given, right?). What difficulties do you face with photography due to your vision?

Along with the absence of color, I am also highly light sensitive (also due to the abundance of rods and lack of cones), have a very limited field of view, and limited visual acuity over all. I do wear mild corrective lenses and prescription sunglasses, but I am still unable to drive. As far as photography goes, my biggest issues are color, being unable to see detail at distances more than a few feet, and being unable to get to cool places on my own in order to take photos.

Photography opens up a new world for me though. I can take a shot, then go home and see it in detail I would have never dreamed of seeing with the naked eye.

Too much info? I hope not. It's always good to meet someone else who shares common issues, and especially so when they also share my passion and hobby.
    --
    BlindEye

Quote Originally Posted by Csae View Post
    ^ I'm suprised at that.

And its also suprising how close you were, i imagine most people outside the field wouldn't quite notice, the problem is even worse if your monitor is not properly calibrated, mine isn't but is close enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    I'd like to see some of these, seriously. Since photography is all about sharing your vision, I'd like to see what you like rather than what you think looks "correct."
    I frequently adjust levels to bring out more contrast, highlights, etc, and I have a custom DPP recipe/picture style with my preferred sharpening and tone adjustments. I rarely, if ever, tweak WB though. I rely on auto WB, unless there is an incredibly strong reaction from someone viewing a photo of mine. Even then, the only WB adjustments I've done are with the eye-dropper - no real manual tweaking.

I've tried to think of images I've adjusted heavily, but nothing has come to mind. If I do come across one, I'll post it along with a description of what I did to it. I appreciate the interest in this subject.

Thanks guys!
    --
    BlindEye

essentially ISO 3200 7d
    | Canon 7D| Canon 5D|Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS| Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II |
    my photos on flickr

It is definitely good to meet another "impaired" person (I really dislike the labels. We all do the best we can with what we've been given, right?). What difficulties do you face with photography due to your vision?

Along with the absence of color, I am also highly light sensitive (also due to the abundance of rods and lack of cones), have a very limited field of view, and limited visual acuity over all. I do wear mild corrective lenses and prescription sunglasses, but I am still unable to drive. As far as photography goes, my biggest issues are color, being unable to see detail at distances more than a few feet, and being unable to get to cool places on my own in order to take photos.

Photography opens up a new world for me though. I can take a shot, then go home and see it in detail I would have never dreamed of seeing with the naked eye.

Too much info? I hope not. It's always good to meet someone else who shares common issues, and especially so when they also share my passion and hobby.

Not too much info at all- i too face many of the same problems with photography- i cannot drive either so in the past, getting to cool locations has been a challenge at the very least. Thankfully now though I live with a wonderful gal who doesn't mind driving my arse all over creation and that's helped a lot.

I have 20/200 vision so seeing detail at a distance- even a few feet away, is very difficult This is why I don't strive for any lenses longer than 200mm and do not have many pictures of birds or skittish creatures in my galleries.

Like you I also found my strongest passion for photography rooted in the fact I could take a picture of a tiny thing, like a spider and blow the picture up to full size and see every last detail, things I couldn't see before and it absolutely thrilled me to find every thing I could to see what it looks like.

I no longer have a macro lens so spiders are no longer photographed, people are my biggest passion now and the same problems rise up- I have to align when I can get a ride to a location with when a model is free and things seldom mesh up right. Then when photographing a person at 55mm distance- I cannot see the detail of the face to know what face the person is making. the 50D's zoom in live view has been a real life saver in that department, but not 100%. I still do most of my people shots at wide, agressive angles and close up to counter my blindness.

~Cory
    Canon 50D; 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F4L IS, 50 F1.8, BG-E2n

Downtrodden's Flickr - Deviant Art: LAME