Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RAW wont open in Photoshop CS

Newbie here with a D80. When I try to open a RAW file in Photoshop CS it give me an error message saying the file is not the right type. What do I need to do/download to get it to work?

You have to upgrade your Photoshop CS to Photoshop CS2 or CS3. The reason is that Adobe changes their Camera RAW plug in with very new version of Photoshop, and they only add new cameras to "current" Camera RAW versions.
    And the D80 was introduced when CS2 was the "current" Photoshop version.

So... either upgrade your photoshop, or get a different RAW convertor.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Thanks for the info! Was hoping that wasn't the answer LOL

You can convert your photos to TIFF files first.

Quote Originally Posted by zmikers View Post
    Not if he's using CS. That's his problem, CS won't recognize the RAW file so he can't convert it to anything.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Quote Originally Posted by zmikers View Post
    A RAW to TIFF conversion loses a lot of information anyway, because the way sensors collect light is exponential, and in TIFF the values are spread out linear.

So, TIFF is not a solution.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    A RAW to TIFF conversion loses a lot of information anyway, because the way sensors collect light is exponential, and in TIFF the values are spread out linear.

So, TIFF is not a solution.
    I thought you lost information if you converted RAW to jpeg. I was told on this forum that tiff conversion does not lose its information. I must have been wrongly informed. That sucks.

With RAW to TIFF you lose some information due to the difference how the values are spread out.
    With 16bit TIFF you obviously lose less information than you would with 8bit JPEG. Also, JPEG compresses by leaving thing sout, so you also lose some detail.

So... people are right that 16bit TIFF is a better solution to 8bit JPEG, if your goal is to keep as much information as you can.

But still, the RAW file holds more information.

If you want PS to read your RAW files, but your camera is not supported in the Camera RAW plug in of that PS version, and that PS version does accept DNG files, thne download Adobe's RAW to DNG convertor.
    DNG is also a RAW format, and will not lose any information of how light and dark are spread over the bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Stang849 View Post
    Newbie here with a D80. When I try to open a RAW file in Photoshop CS it give me an error message saying the file is not the right type. What do I need to do/download to get it to work?
    I don't know how much that Photoshop upgrade will cost you. If that's out of the budget, there are a number of other scenarios you can follow.

One is getting Nikon Capture NX. That's about $150. Of course, with that your photoshop skill may degrade, since you may not see much need to use them. There are a raft of other RAW editors, so free, some not... a search of the web will turn them up.

Another possibility would be Paint Shop Pro by Corel. It has a RAW converter for Nikon built in, and most of the same capabilities as Photoshop, though the actual tools look and operate a little different. Still, since this is about as much as Capture NX, I'm more inclined to point you that direction.

Of course, you can pony up the bucks for the Photoshop upgrade. That will give you the tool you are familiar with. The Capture NX editor is better, but that's splitting hairs, as they are both good. If you eventually go with Lightroom to enhance your workflow, it works much better with photoshop than with Capture NX (At least that's what I've been told).
    Eric Lund
    Nikon D200
    Nikkors: 17-55mm f2.8, 18-200mm f3.5-f4.5 VR, 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 VR, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.8, 55mm f2.8 AI-S micro, 105mm f2.8 VR micro
    Other Lenses: Tokina 12-24 f4, Tamron 75-300mm f4-5.6 LD macro
    Stuff: Nikon SB800, Nikon MBD200, Gitzo 1327 Tripod w/RRS BH-55LR Ballhead, Sekonic L-358 meter

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    With RAW to TIFF you lose some information due to the difference how the values are spread out.
    With 16bit TIFF you obviously lose less information than you would with 8bit JPEG. Also, JPEG compresses by leaving thing sout, so you also lose some detail.

So... people are right that 16bit TIFF is a better solution to 8bit JPEG, if your goal is to keep as much information as you can.

But still, the RAW file holds more information.

If you want PS to read your RAW files, but your camera is not supported in the Camera RAW plug in of that PS version, and that PS version does accept DNG files, thne download Adobe's RAW to DNG convertor.
    DNG is also a RAW format, and will not lose any information of how light and dark are spread over the bits.
    I used to have the same problem before upgrading Photoshop CS2. DNG converter might help. This is free Adobe DNG Converter and Camera Raw 3.7 download that might solve the problem.
    As Coldrain said, TIFF is not the answer. By definition JPEG is a lossy compression format while TIFF is lossless compression format. I don't quite get the 'lossless' part since compression really implies much info will be tossed out.
    And I don't quite understand why 5MP TIFF on my FZ20 is 14.4 MP while a NEF (raw) from D70s is only around 5-6 MP. One of these days I will find an answer.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB