Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

jasonsw Guest

Airplane Spotting setting for Canon SD630

Hello all! My pleasure to find such resourceful site / forum with knowledgeable members!!!

Will you kindly advise on settings i should try out for taking photos of airplane landing at LAX? I have Canon Powershot SD630. I am trying to utilize my Manual option since AUTO option is giving me blurred image of fast moving plane that is landing at around 3 p.m. when there's a lot of sunlight. Picture attached below.

low ISO80? HIGH ISO? ISO800? My guess is low ISO80?

what about Exposure? Options: Exposure -2 through +2

Long shutter: 1-15 seconds. leave it at 1?

how can i change aperture and shutter speed on this camera?

Any comments / advices will be greatly appreciated! Thank you all for reading!

Blurry picture even during 3 p.m. when there's sunlight.

You'll need a fast shutter speed - 1/100th or faster to stop the motion. Usually anything moving will blur @ 1/60th or slower. Use the lowest ISO you can to get that shutter speed.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

More like 1/500 or faster. Lowest ISO possible. Meter off clear blue sky away from the sun for an initial exposure setting.

As far a changing the settings, I'm guessing you put the mode on M (manual) and use 4-way left and right to change the shutter or aperture settings at the bottom of the viewfinder.

You can download the manual here:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=12956

Edit - Looks like there is no real "Manual: settings. I would use the Kids and Pets mode for the faster shutter speed if it does not raise the ISO too much.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 07-16-2007 at 09:57 PM.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

You can freeze photo as descibed above, or, what I happen to prefer, is a panning shot where the plane is still, but the background (clouds, or ground as the plane is landing) - it gives a much better sense of the action. For a panning shot:

- use the view finder to follow the plane like rifle scope on a moving object
    - keep camera, arms, elbow all tight and pressed into your head/body and follow plane by twisting at hips/legs
    - use a low ISO to help drive a longer shutter speed
    - use Tv priority around 1/30th to 1/60th
    - let the camera's meter select proper Av, but if selected Av is outside its range, you may need to change the ISO a bit until the camera can select an Av within its useful range.
    - shoot in continuous mode and delete the pics that are blurry (which will be most of the pics)

an example:

Not much chance of getting a non-blurry plane if your using 1+ seconds shutter speed (for that matter anything longer than 1/15th).
    Last edited by reppans; 07-16-2007 at 08:24 PM.