Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool The darker side of the A100

I am now kind of curious as to the types of issues people (photographers) are encountering with their SONY A100.

The camera is now rather long-in-the-tooth (being available for almost a full year ) and if you have experiences that separate it from other DSLRs you have used ... I say make these issues known.

Typical issues, such as:
    • Hotshoe incompatability
    • AUTO - Mode (not as "automatic" as you'd expect)
    • Remembering to shut-off camera prior to putting it down, as pre-focus continues to run if viewfinder is within 4 inches of something. This will definitely shorten battery-life.
    • ... etc.

Feel free to add as you need to .... this is to elicit conversation concerning the camera.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-23-2007 at 03:54 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

issues

IMHO:

- A bit of speed won't harm, let's say 5fps
    -Aaaahhh, that propietary policy of accesories
    -I know we have anti-shake and all but a bit better performance at higher ISOs won't kill anyone. We do not need to be at the top of the list, just improve 800 and 1600 and expand to higher ISOs.
    -I know, I know... purists will refute (I've said it before, purists are funny, funny people) but having the capability of recording video won't do anyone any harm. I do not need HD quality, even if it is VGA will suffice.
    -One issue that definitely has to be improved is that ISO control has to be outside instead of hidden in the menu. To me that is sooo annoying

After "bashing" the Alpha, all things considered, I must say that I love it
    Last edited by fos; 04-24-2007 at 01:31 PM.
    Ti eukolon? To allo hupotithestai

Yeah, definatly night shot and movie recording at 30 fps and real time preview on the screen ?
    Less noise shutter, viewfinder more on the back to avoid our face touching the screen ? gets always the oil of our skin
    By the way im finding this machine perfect for the price and most of all its Sonys first child
    Could it handle 1.8" 80gb hardisk ? that would be amazing.
    Battery to last more time ? etc, yeah, specialy this last one.
    Sony A100 + DT18-70mm + Sigma 70-300mm with 1,4 Conversor.

Quote Originally Posted by Djzleite View Post
    viewfinder more on the back to avoid our face touching the screen ? gets always the oil of our skin
    You know, I used to own the dsc H5 and it had that viewfinder the way you want it...man, all I say is you really do not want that "finger" poking your chest if you have it hanging around your neck. Granted, that oil from our skin all over the display is quite annoying, but I rather have it the way it is now.

Now about some hard disk capabilities...I would not complaint , just in case you happen to forget the memory card.

Regarding the live preview: it is funny that coming from the point & shoot world, I do not miss the live preview at all. Now, if it comes with that, as a plus, I would not complaint, but it is not something that would tip the scale in favoring a purchase from now on.
    Ti eukolon? To allo hupotithestai

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I am now kind of curious as to the types of issues people (photographers) are encountering with their SONY A100.

The camera is now rather long-in-the-tooth (being available for almost a full year ) and if you have experiences that separate it from other DSLRs you have used ... I say make these issues known.

Typical issues, such as:
    • Hotshoe incompatability
    • AUTO - Mode (not as "automatic" as you'd expect)
    • Remembering to shut-off camera prior to putting it down, as pre-focus continues to run if viewfinder is within 4 inches of something. This will definitely shorten battery-life.
    • ... etc.

Feel free to add as you need to .... this is to elicit conversation concerning the camera.
    Not defending a100, but there are workarounds:
    Hotshoe incompatability - use the flash bounce (45 degree angle) if you are referring to a minolta flash

Mode (not as "automatic" as you'd expect) - how do you mean?
    [*] Remembering to shut-off camera prior to putting it down, as pre-focus continues to run if viewfinder is within 4 inches of something. This will definitely shorten battery-life. - In the settings, turn of eye-start. I get my camera to focus, etc. when pressing shutter half way down.
    Best of Both worlds:
    dSLR: Sony a100 dSLR w/ kit lens (18-70mm)
    Minolta Lens Collection: 28-80mm xi, 70-210mm
    Point and Shoot: Sony DSC-T11

My photo portfolio

My Flickr

so are these the only issues that you all have seen with the A100? I'm considering migrating from a Canon S2IS POS (uh, I mean P&S) to a Sony Alpha. I guess my concern is whether or not the Alpha is just a one-off and if the new Sony DSLR's are going to go in a radically different direction?

I ask this because it seems that the A100 was more of a KM design than a Sony design. Will we see memory-sticks replace CF and different lenses for the new cameras that leaves the A100 obsolete and a one-trick pony? I'm a little hesitant to invest in a system that may become worthless in a couple years.

Thumbs up Get one and start taking images ...

Quote Originally Posted by Amigaman View Post
    so are these the only issues that you all have seen with the A100? I'm considering migrating from a Canon S2IS POS (uh, I mean P&S) to a Sony Alpha. I guess my concern is whether or not the Alpha is just a one-off and if the new Sony DSLR's are going to go in a radically different direction?

I ask this because it seems that the A100 was more of a KM design than a Sony design. Will we see memory-sticks replace CF and different lenses for the new cameras that leaves the A100 obsolete and a one-trick pony? I'm a little hesitant to invest in a system that may become worthless in a couple years.

Even if the A100 was a one off, with all the Minolta-glass floating around out there ... it's a ringer in the camera world, to be sure. It delivers a solid shot and actually improving on it will be a "professional edge" camera, not just another of the same genre.

Any investment, using Minolta-glass, would be relatively small ... and nothing near the amount you would spend doing it with Canon or Nikon glass, especially consider the fact it has anti-shake already there for ALL of your lenses ... not the select and costly few that come with IS in them.

Fear not ... it's hot.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Amigaman View Post

In truth, any dSLR is a step up from your great S2IS. All cameras will become obsolete, be it a canon 5d, nikon d100, or a sony a100. The difference however is the lens pricing. Minolta used lenses are far cheaper than the other brands. There are sigma and tamron lenses that work for the alpha, KM bodies. I am very happy with the alpha. It's light, it does everything i want, and it makes me think about the shot.

The a100 supports CF and the sony memory stick pro duo. Most dSLRs use CF.

There are pro versions of the alpha coming out. however they will cost at least 2x the a100.

Hope this helps,
    Chris
    Best of Both worlds:

My photo portfolio

My Flickr

Focus Speed

My wife has a Minolta film camera with compatable flash and lens (I have a minolta too but it way older (can you say manual focus). How good a job does it do tracking a moving bird (lens is 75-300). Since the motor is in the body not the lens the long kit lens would at least give me some idea..

Thanks.

BTW: my 'Minolta' flash works great on my FZ-20.

Bill

Is this the lens you have?
    http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=55

It sounds like focus will not be a problem outdoors.
    Best of Both worlds:

My photo portfolio

My Flickr