Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Few Canon PowerShot S5 IS Questions

Now that Jeff Keller has given the greenlight on the S5, I'm gonna get it. But I have a few questions:

Jeff wrote in his review:

"In addition to recording stills and videos, the PowerShot S5 can also be used for recording audio clips"
    1) Let's say I'm on a wildflower tour. As the guide is pointing out the flowers and their names, can I audio/record the name of each flower after I snap a photo so that the name will match up with each flower? [I'd like to download the photos onto my computer, then review the photos on the camera itself while listening for the name, and then write them down under each photo on the computer]
    ------------------------------------
    J.K. wrote:

"you'll want to get a set or TWO of NiMH rechargeable batteries
    (2500 mAh NiMH or better) and a fast charger."
    2) When looking for a "fast charger," what should I be looking for that
    lets me know it's faster than average?
    J.K. WROTE:

"you can go up to 19X total zoom at the 3 Megapixel "M2" resolution"
    3) Does the S5 automatically change the megapixels from 8 to 3, or can you change the megapixel level manually? The reason I ask is that if I'm only planning on making 4-by-6 inch prints, would it be a good idea the lower the megapixels (if you can)?

J.K. pointed out:

"There's a standard 30 fps mode, plus a fast 60 fps mode available for capturing action."
    4) If I'd like to upload a video onto YouTube, should I record the movie in 30
    fps, or is 60 fps okay also?

5) In regards to an external flash, would you recommend the 430EX (which seems enough of a flash for my needs)? The 580EX II is almost the same price as the S5. This seems like a flash that would appeal to a really experienced photographer, but maybe overkill for someone like myself.

Thanks for any help

2) I wouldn't recommend a fast charger. Fast chargers will heat the batteries up too much and kill the cells faster (shorten useful life of cell). Fastest I'd suggest is an 8 hour charger (personal opinion).

1. on the S series cameras you can hit a button while the image is still on the screen to record a short audio clip to describe the picture or make other notes. I've never actually used this feature though as I like most people, find my own voice to be like nails on a chalk board.

2. I'd go with around a 1 hour charger. I've used my three sets ($10 per set) of kodak rechargeables for a year now with several charges. the file number on my S3 is currently 7084. and on my S5 it's already up to 989. I've taken 6 videos that i remember and i've also used the same batteries for my CD player... That's a LOT of usage. and rechargeable AA's are slmost as cheap as alkalines, so any shortness of life due to hour charging is negligable and not worth an arguement... Just don't go faster than one hour because this eats your battery life FAST. Use your batteries till they die, before you put them on the charger. If you want to save money, you can go for a longer charger, like 8 hours or what not, because these chargers tend to be a couple bucks cheaper... but the convenience to me is worth the extra 10 bucks.

3. you have to choose the resolution you wish the camera to shoot in. whether it be 8mp or less.

4. Can't help ya there.. i've only used the 30FPS and never uploaded to youtube, only myspace.

5. And can't help on this one either as i don't own any flash units.

Hope that helps!

~Cory
    Canon 50D; 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F4L IS, 50 F1.8, BG-E2n

Downtrodden's Flickr - Deviant Art: LAME

Youtube reduces the quality of the video they host so 60 fps would be wasted. You won't see that quality unless you find a place to host unmodified videos.

The audio memo is simply an audio file with the same file number as your picture. I use it mostly to describe something I've shot or to record bird songs associated with bird images I've captured.

30fps would be perfect for youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

Cory wrote:
    I've never actually used this feature though as I like most people,
    find my own voice to be like nails on a chalk board.
    Lol

3. you have to choose the resolution you wish the camera to shoot
    in. whether it be 8mp or less.
    So I assume the manual that comes with the camera will advise me
    how many pixels I should use if I'm planning to make, let's say,
    4-by-6 inch photos?

Hope that helps!
    ~Cory
    Yes, very much. Thank you

In general, I recommend always shooting in the highest resolution available. While lower resolution will be fine for 4x6s you may get the shot that you really want to blow up. Memory is really cheap these days, shoot big and crop down when you need to.

-dave-

In addition to cropping down, those shots that are slightly out of focus, or noisy at 100% can often be saved as a 4x6 print even when they look not worth keeping at 100%. Just shoot at the highest resolution.
    I have a camera. It takes pictures.

I'm going to have to disagree with downtrodden above on the charger. 4 hours is the fastest you want to fully charge NiMH batteries in order to keep their life expectancy normal. Sanyo states 2hrs is ok as well with their Eneloops, however do NOT use a 1 hour fast charger. Why trash these expensive batteries? Protect your investment.

Plus using a 4-8 hour smart charger will get you a fuller charge in each battery.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Visual Reality View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with downtrodden above on the charger. 4 hours is the fastest you want to fully charge NiMH batteries in order to keep their life expectancy normal. Sanyo states 2hrs is ok as well with their Eneloops, however do NOT use a 1 hour fast charger. Why trash these expensive batteries? Protect your investment.

Plus using a 4-8 hour smart charger will get you a fuller charge in each battery.

After reading your post I searched around and the Maha C401FS NiMH / NiCd Charger gets the best reviews for the its price range ($40ish). It has two charging modes: 100 minutes & 5 hours. I'll use just the 5 hour mode, and buy two sets of batteries (2500 or 2700 NiMH's I guess).

Thanks for the advice