Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Horror Guest

Quick Vacation Cam

Okay..

Every time I've gotten a digital camera in the past - I've completely messed up and gotten horrendous ones (though, that was about 5 years ago..). Now, I'm in the need of another one for a vacation. I've been looking for about a month, but alas, I've come to no conclusion.

Problem is, my vacation is now in a week.

Most of what I'll be taking will be quick shots of random things, nothing too spectacular. I don't want to stand around and try to mess with the options and miss my opportunity of taking a good picture. So I want something simple, but has good quality (going to New Orleans for a week, streets tend to be darker due to the crowd).

Been checking out the CyberShots from Sony.. I wouldn't mind getting one, but I'd rather get an opinion first. Don't really care about the money involved, so if it's expensive, but does what I need, I'm all for it.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Quick Vacation Cam

Quote Originally Posted by Horror
    Okay..

Every time I've gotten a digital camera in the past - I've completely messed up and gotten horrendous ones (though, that was about 5 years ago..). Now, I'm in the need of another one for a vacation. I've been looking for about a month, but alas, I've come to no conclusion.

Problem is, my vacation is now in a week.

Most of what I'll be taking will be quick shots of random things, nothing too spectacular. I don't want to stand around and try to mess with the options and miss my opportunity of taking a good picture. So I want something simple, but has good quality (going to New Orleans for a week, streets tend to be darker due to the crowd).

Been checking out the CyberShots from Sony.. I wouldn't mind getting one, but I'd rather get an opinion first. Don't really care about the money involved, so if it's expensive, but does what I need, I'm all for it.

Thanks in advance.
    You didn't mention size as a criterion, so let me suggest the Panasonic DMC-FZ10, which you should be able to get off-the-shelf at your local Fry's Electronics, or at a Wolf or Ritz Camera shop. If you keep the thing in "P" mode, it's basically "Point and Shoot," for all practical purposes. Just to give you an example, I participated in an afternoon event (a sort of "Tea") a couple of weeks ago. Since I was one of the performers, I could hardly shoot photos; my wife was the moderator. So, I simply handed my FZ10 to one of the women sitting at one of the tables. She looked perplexed, "Oh, this isn't one of those digitals, is it?" I told her to just look through the viewfinder, frame and shoot like any other camera. She took 105 shots, and 80 of them came out as "keepers."
    More than just being easy to use, you'll find that the camera is a magician at getting good photos of those street people in New Orleans, being able to stabilize images down to very low shutter speeds, and pick up on that cute little kid across the street with its 35mm-420mm zoom.
    Let a be your umbrella!

I second that recommendation. Too bad you can't wait for the FZ15. It doesn't look radically different, but has a few new features (of course). But we all know that last minute sinking feeling. The FZ10 is great fun, and unique within the ultra-zoom field.

If you decide to go for a smaller format the Canon A80 might also work, but it's not half as much fun (and only 1/3 the zoom) as the FZ10.

Digital cameras have come a long way in the last 5 years, are easier than point-and-shoot film, and print beautifully (even the cheepies). My niece has printed some picures (at Cosco) from an $88 3.2MP Vivitar (not recommended) that would knock your socks off.

As always, try before you buy.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

UPDATE:

If you want a nice low cost, high featured on-the-fly camera, I have heard that the Canon A70 is available from Office Max for $200. Only 3X zoom but very portable, with manual controls if you need them.

Here is the review:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...il.php?cam=444

Have a great time in Nawlens'.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/