Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Score 2 points for Sony (Sorry Nikon/Canon)

It's nice to see this little underdog get some attention:

Entry dSLR Camera of the Year
    http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4241...vel-dslrs.html

Alpha gets an 'A' - 100
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/21/te...rssnyt&emc=rss

Chris
    Best of Both worlds:
    dSLR: Sony a100 dSLR w/ kit lens (18-70mm)
    Minolta Lens Collection: 28-80mm xi, 70-210mm
    Point and Shoot: Sony DSC-T11

My photo portfolio

My Flickr

over here the a100 price has dropped bu about $150.....so it kinda makes it much cheaper than the XTi or the D40x

Kudos to the Minolta engineers at Konica on the A100.

It's great that Sony saved them and an honored group of lenses from the dustbin of technology...

... and it keeps the competitors on their toes. It's especially good for us consumers.

It will be interesting to see what Sony comes up with on their own.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

I certainly hope the Playstation 3 is not an example of what can be expected. It was late, not ready when it did come out, doesn't perform up to expectations, and doesn't seem to be getting a lot of third party support. But, it does have a blue ray drive. Mine still won't do any better than 1080i on my 1080p television, despite the fact that Sony has claimed (twice) to have fixed the issue.

I will admit, there does appear to be some hope. I can upscale regular DVDs and PS2 games (to 1080i - grrr). And the networking is getting better.

Still, Sony has a lot to prove before I can show any confidence in their cameras. Not that I'm in the market for one. Just saying, so to speak.

Sometimes just bringing out a product to show you're still around is a way to pave the road for the future. I expect the PS3 to take off later this year or next year. It's way ahead of the competition. The PS2 didn't do too good either the first 2 years. But they made huge profits in the years after that, and if you pick one up today for about $100 you still get a great console.

Perhaps the same is true for the Minolta/Konica with Sony badge.

I wonder if Sony kept KM engineers/designers as an entity mostly separate from Sony. If so, maybe successor alphas won't run into the same problems that plagued the PS3. Slow and steady is the way to develop a product...sometimes being the first doesn't mean you win first prize for a product!
    Best of Both worlds:

My photo portfolio

My Flickr

The Alpha really is a nice camera. I was seriously thinking about getting one but I do a lot of travelling so serviceability and replace-ability are paramount. Maybe in a few years. I think having built in stabilization is a big plus.

But, how long until they introduce the memory stick version? It's a Sony thing.

Quote Originally Posted by erichlund View Post
    But, how long until they introduce the memory stick version? It's a Sony thing.
    I hope, never. The alpha takes compact flash. You need the included adaptor to use their memory stick duo. This memory doesn't even have much premium over the CF.

More press for the alpha. This time from theonlinephotographer.com:

"So guess what I stumbled across the other day at my local big box store? A really cool store display with another super idea. Some genius at Sony (and this is one of the rare occasions when I'm using the term "genius" without irony—mark your calendars) simply yanked the sensor out of an A100 and mounted it behind a clear Plexiglas plate. The camera it came out of is still hardwired to it, though, so as you move the camera body, you can see the internal image stabilization work. "

Picture of Cameron Diaz using the alpha:
    http://www.idontlikeyouinthatway.com...u/big_cd5.html
    Best of Both worlds:

My photo portfolio

My Flickr

Over the last 10 or 12 years, Sony quality has gone way down. If you check around, you will see that Sony reliability, once the standard of the world, is now way down. And Sony is notorious for proprietary things like memory. This new camera uses CF, but don't be surprised if the next iteration is Memory Stick only.

I have had so many problems, and everyone I know has too, with Sony products that I just can't see ever owning another one. They have a lot of bad feelings to recover from.
    I'll keep my religion, freedom, money, guns and HEALTH CARE!!! You keep the CHANGE!