Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    goinonbro Guest

Unhappy New and desperate, Lens advice on a budget...

I am new to the DSLR game but i have been a hobbyist photographer for a long time. After many many months of research and reading reviews i have decided to go with the Canon rebel XTI. But one thing that frightens me is that the kit lens has repeatedly weak reviews. But i am on a tight budget and cant seem to find a replacement everyday lens for around $200. please help any advice would be very much appreciated.
    thank you.

The kitlens is not as bad as some try to make it out to be. I played with one yesterday, actually, and it performs quite well, especially considering the very low price.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

There really isn't a walk around lens in that price range that will be any better than the kit lens. They're both about $100 more than your price range, but the Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 is a good choice with the wide aperture all the way through the focal length, and the Sigma 24-135mm F/2.8-4.5 will give you a little more reach.

I just bought a XTi, and instead of the kit lens, I bought a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 DC EX on eBay for $320, and it looks (and works) brand new; but yes, is slightly used. This is my first ever dSLR camera, and it's incredible (to me) the pics it can take.

I hope to take a bunch of pics this weekend, and post a few to see what the consensus is. The total package for me, new camera, used lens came in just under $1K, and I figure the lens will satisfy my needs for quite some time until I want a telephoto with more range.

IMO, I now have a decent XTi custom "kit" on a reasonable budget.
    | Canon 5D, XTi, EOS-3 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 85mm f1.8 USM | Canon 50mm f1.4 USM | Canon 28mm f1.8 USM | Canon 580EX II | Elinchrom Skyports | Vivitar 283 + 285 flashes...Alien Bees...etc. | Mamiya M645 1000s | Canonet Junior, Bell & Howell Dial-35 + too much other gear...

With that budget you should stick with the kit lens. It really isn't that bad. If you poke around you can find some galleries of photos taken with the kit lens and they can be quite impressive.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    If you maintain f5.6-f8 with the kit lens, you can take stunning photos. Use a tripod though.

Otherwise, save up for at least the 17-85 IS at $550 from B+H.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    If you maintain f5.6-f8 with the kit lens, you can take stunning photos. Use a tripod though.

Otherwise, save up for at least the 17-85 IS at $550 from B+H.
    With all respect; I have to differ with this advice. The 18-85 IS is reputed to be a "kit lens with IS". There are SO many superior choices within that price range. The advice to shoot at f5.6 and higher is good (f8 - 11 is probably the sweet spot, where you wouldn't see a difference between this and a $1000 L and f5.6 should be pretty good).

There's MANY situations where 5.6 to f8 is perfectly doable without a tripod. Also; ISO 200 is nearly indistinguishable from ISO 100 on the XTi so that gives you a stop right there. In daylight, ISO 800 is pretty good too.

I'd take the kit lens. You could buy it used so that when you sell it some day you'll only loose postage. Buying that one used makes the bad rep work in your favor.

I have 2 friends that get by very will with the kit lens. It allows you to use a DSLR and that's where your main benifit comes from.

Add a 50mm f1.8 for those times when you need low light, better quality, or some artistic bokeh. Going used, you could probably get both for about $120, tax and shipping included.
    Last edited by Vich; 07-16-2007 at 03:56 PM.
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vich View Post
    With all respect; I have to differ with this advice. The 18-85 IS is reputed to be a "kit lens with IS". There are SO many superior choices within that price range. The advice to shoot at f5.6 and higher is good (f8 - 11 is probably the sweet spot, where you wouldn't see a difference between this and a $1000 L and f5.6 should be pretty good).

There's MANY situations where 5.6 to f8 is perfectly doable without a tripod. Also; ISO 200 is nearly indistinguishable from ISO 100 on the XTi so that gives you a stop right there. In daylight, ISO 800 is pretty good too.

I'd take the kit lens. You could buy it used so that when you sell it some day you'll only loose postage. Buying that one used makes the bad rep work in your favor.

I have 2 friends that get by very will with the kit lens. It allows you to use a DSLR and that's where your main benifit comes from.

Add a 50mm f1.8 for those times when you need low light, better quality, or some artistic bokeh. Going used, you could probably get both for about $120, tax and shipping included.
    With respect, I love my 17-85 IS. It gives me really excellent photos. I did a wedding with that lens on my 30D and used my 420EX. It all came out very well indeed.

Here's another vote for getting the efs 18-55 kit lens. A capable lens with some limitations, but can produce nice shots. It seems to be getting a little more thought of lately.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    With respect, I love my 17-85 IS. It gives me really excellent photos. I did a wedding with that lens on my 30D and used my 420EX. It all came out very well indeed.
    I suppose Dennis's comment would apply to the 17-85 as well.

As I recall your comment on that wedding was that you shot it almost entirely at f8. Why was that?

I'd say most better lenses excel under the extreem conditions, but f8 and other ideal circumstances there's not so much difference. If you pixel peep on a kit lens you may see purple fringing if backlit, you may have a greater percentage of missed focus (but not at f8 where the DOF is so large it won't be noticed), etc.

So; they are both capable lenses with limitations. But, I wouldn't recommend spending nearly $600 for something with such limitations. But that's a personal choice since that focal range combined with IS may make it worth the $$ for some.
    Last edited by Vich; 07-19-2007 at 09:00 AM.
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10