Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Threaded View

FYI...Older Minolta/Sigma lenses work on the Alpha

Just an FYI for anyone who is considering a Sony Alpha, you can use a lot of the older Minolta and Sigma AF lenses. I was lucky and had a 28-80 and 70-300 Sigma AF lens from an older Minolta STSi 35mm SLR I had. That setup cost around $300 a couple years ago. Then my mother-in-law had some Minolta primes (28mm f2.8 and a 50mm f1.7) for an even older 35mm SLR she bought used about 10 years ago. Since she's on a digital Kodak P&S, she basically gave me her old lenses for free!!! Well I do have to promise to come visit her more and take pictures of her grandkids

Anyways, I love my new Alpha! These lenses would have cost an arm and a leg to purchase new if I were to have gone the Nikon D40 route I was considering going down. All of these older lenses work great and the bokeh on the 50mm is to die for! The Sigma lenses also have a macro mode on which seems to work pretty well too.

Anyways, here's a gallery of my new/old setup http://picasaweb.google.com/stuff4ben/CameraStuff

I forgot to mention the reason I created this thread. When I was looking at DSLR's about a month ago, the sales lady at the local Ritz/Wolf Camera here in Durham, NC, flat out said I couldn't use my older Sigma lens because they wouldn't autofocus. I think she was confused about the Nikon D40 which has that problem and I even told her that. But she was adamant about it and pretty much just wanted to sell me the D40x (which I specifically said I didn't want. It was either the D40 or the Alpha IMO).

So I wanted to stop the spread of disinformation and bad sales people from preventing anyone from purchasing this great camera, hence this thread.
    Last edited by Amigaman; 07-10-2007 at 08:02 PM.