Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

to flash or not to flash?

I'm just mulling over whether or not to pick up a flash for the alpha. obviously there are the two sony models, the 36 and the 56, but i can't justify the extra $200 between them so i'd be going with the 36 if i do.

just wondering if, for someone who does mostly out door shots, its worth getting. i do use a long lens and can't use my on camera flash indoors at all with any zoom.

your thoughts?
    Last edited by shanks; 07-15-2007 at 06:43 PM.
    Sony DSLRA100 w/ SAL18200
    Sony DSCW7B
    Sony DSCW80

Cool Flash in the pan

Quote Originally Posted by shanks View Post
    I'm just mulling over whether or not to pick up a flash for the alpha. obviously there are the two sony models, the 36 and the 56, but i can't justify the extra $200 between them so i'd be going with the 36 if i do.

just wondering if, for someone who does mostly out door shots, its worth getting. i do use a long lens and can't use my on camera flash indoors at all with any zoom.

your thoughts?
    You may want to find a Minolta 5600 (D) HS on the 'bay, before finally snapping up on the SONY version, as they are entirely identical.

Anyway, the big difference between the 36 and the 56 is the "swivel head." Where that comes in handy is with remote flash shots. Remember, these flashes can be triggered remotely so you don't always have to have the flash moiunted atop the camera body, but you do need the remote flash sensor facing towards the camera. Put it on its stand and place it close to the subject you need lit or you could even have the subject hold the flash ... makes for a different kind of shot.

The shot above incorporated 4 remote flash units.

Here's another discussion link (<-- click here) you might find informative, too.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-15-2007 at 07:05 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi