Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Photojournalism?

I磎 going into gr.11 and need to make a huge choice...a career. naturally i want it to be something i like, photography. but i was thinking, just being a photographer can be tough. getting known, getting your stuff out there, etc... anyway i thought of photojournalism. it seems to have more opportunities. i was wondering if anyone here has taken this course in college, or is doing this as a career now, could tell me a little more about it? i was reading the outlines, and it says 创must be willing to change location创 which im fine with, but, i also would like a family one day. so, i was wondering how it is.

thanks in advance.

I'm not a photojournalist but from what I've heard its a VERY hard career to get into especially with the internet and mass media delivering images everywhere and online for anyone who wants them (for a fee of course).

I'd suggest posting over at fredmiranda.com in the General forum, it tends to have more pro's then this site does.

Keep in mind a few things about photojournalism though:

1) It's not about "art" most of the time. The shot of bush in front of the busy background shaking the hand of an executive from Hess fuel is about "being at the right place and right time for the shot for the story" and not about making innovative provocative photos. Doesn't mean that you won't have chance for that and a lot of "Artistic interpretation" of a subject but a lot of it will be boring dull photography and waiting around to do the boring dull photography.

2) Getting a job at the "one" local paper for the MAYBE 1 staff photographer job is hard.

But what do I know? I just do this for fun.

Tim

woah...that completely didnt even occur to me. thanks man. im not too worried about getting an artsy shot. im more of an action capturer, sports and whatnot. mind you, ill do artsy shots for shits and giggles. and i can still get some artsy sport shots. mainly biking, this sport offers a lot of artsy, yet publish worthy opportunities. thanks a lot though

I'll offer two bits of advice:

1. Call the nearest major newspaper and ask to speak to the photo editor. Tell him or her that you're a high school student doing career research, and you'd like to talk to someone about photojournalism.

2. Bear in mind that VERY few people know what they want to do with their lives at your age. Most people change careers multiple times in their lives. Whatever you decide now, you can always change your mind.
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

I suppose I am in "photojournalism" but in reality its me going out and having the time of my life, oh, and talk/drink beer with people while take pictures.

I work for an off road magazine producing articles for them. In general, I loosely setup a "photoshoot" (i.e. a trail run, or a feature vehicle photo shoot or just show up to an event and wing it), talk to people, write down everything on a pad of paper, and take photos. Then at night I sit around the campfire, shoot the shit, and chill out.

Now my job is very, very unusual to the photojournalism scene. Most photogs who work for magazines or newspapers are always pressed for time and have to be able to shoot a badass photo in 15 minutes. Then pack their shit, drive 30 minutes, and do it again. THEN edit their photos.

So what did I do? I got in on the ground level of an up and coming magazine. They needed people on the east coast (they are based on the west coast) and I was at the right place at the right time. There are a lot of new "extreme" sports, and new magazines that cover these. Get in on one of these and they'll take your career to the top in a hurry. They call these popular photographers "rockstar photographers". A photographer is synonymous with a certain magazine, and is well known in the circles.

Trust me, you want to be a rockstar photographer, you are pretty much a celebrity and everyone bends over backwards to accomadate you. This is awesome. Of course, assuming you want to do photography for a living (while I currently live by the camera, this will change within two years).

So, I hope this gets your mind thinking about a different part of photography and a different part of the photojournalism industry. Who says you have to work for a newspaper? Try something different from what you thought before. You'll be much happier and more successful if you have no competition in a new field (and this is true for any industry). However, you'll have to look hard for this untapped resource. But I am sure you can figure it out.

Hope this helps some!
    Small Town Newspaper Oaf

East Coast Coorespondant for CRAWL Magazine!!??

to the guy above...what you do, to me, is the life man. shoot pics, chill with the guys, work for a magazine. im idol goes by the name of Harookz. hes the one that made me want to get into photography. he is just like you said, every mag i read has his pics in it. not only does he take wicked pics, he also chills with all the riders (mountain biking). im doing a co-op program next year, hopefully at the local paper or this photo/video company in the next town over. im going to try and get shooting for my school newspaper also.

CFord - No matter how tough a career may be to follow, you have to do it if that's what you want. As we grow up, adults usually tend to derail our dreams by pushing us with statements like- 'OK, you're a senior in high school now and you have to be serious about your career choice so stop dreaming!'. So you stop dreaming and why? So you can end up busting your behind anyway doing something that you don't feel fulfilled in doing.

There was a great American professor by the name of Joseph Campbell. His work was mostly in the fields of comparative mythology and religion. His most inspiring work (just before his death) came in the form of a PBS series titled 'The Power of Myth'. Anyone looking for inspiration and courage to follow any path in life should watch this series. It was in this forum that the phrase Joseph Campbell coined 'follow your bliss' was played before a large audience.

His basic philosophy is that there is a track laid out for all of us to follow. Many people get off the track, particularly in the pursuit of money and as soon as that happens all is lost. If you follow the track, doors will open for you that you didn't even know were there. 'Following your bliss' as Joseph Campbell saw it was not about doing whatever you wanted in irresponsible fashion and definitely not about doing what you are told. It is about identifying what you are deeply passionate about and giving yourself to it entirely. In this, you will fulfil your greatest potential and lead the most satisfying life possible. So in short I say, do photojournalism if that is what you are passionate about no matter what others may tell you. Numerous people have had full and satisfying lives as photojournalists. Why not you?

Incidentally, I am reading a book titled 'Moments In Time' by Dirck Halstead. I think it should be on any photojournalists shelf.

woah...ill have to check some of this guys work. he sounds really inspirational. anyway...i have 2 years in highschool, lots of time to decided between photojournalism and just photography.

Quote Originally Posted by nqjudo View Post
    CFord - No matter how tough a career may be to follow, you have to do it if that's what you want. As we grow up, adults usually tend to derail our dreams by pushing us with statements like- 'OK, you're a senior in high school now and you have to be serious about your career choice so stop dreaming!'. So you stop dreaming and why? So you can end up busting your behind anyway doing something that you don't feel fulfilled in doing.

There was a great American professor by the name of Joseph Campbell. His work was mostly in the fields of comparative mythology and religion. His most inspiring work (just before his death) came in the form of a PBS series titled 'The Power of Myth'. Anyone looking for inspiration and courage to follow any path in life should watch this series. It was in this forum that the phrase Joseph Campbell coined 'follow your bliss' was played before a large audience.

His basic philosophy is that there is a track laid out for all of us to follow. Many people get off the track, particularly in the pursuit of money and as soon as that happens all is lost. If you follow the track, doors will open for you that you didn't even know were there. 'Following your bliss' as Joseph Campbell saw it was not about doing whatever you wanted in irresponsible fashion and definitely not about doing what you are told. It is about identifying what you are deeply passionate about and giving yourself to it entirely. In this, you will fulfil your greatest potential and lead the most satisfying life possible. So in short I say, do photojournalism if that is what you are passionate about no matter what others may tell you. Numerous people have had full and satisfying lives as photojournalists. Why not you?

Incidentally, I am reading a book titled 'Moments In Time' by Dirck Halstead. I think it should be on any photojournalists shelf.
    "Myths to Live By" by Joseph Campbell changed my life. He is my absolute hero. Can't believe you mentioned him here

Go for a career that will pay you the best money and learn to love it. You'll be far better off than competing for mediocre pay in a highly competative industry. You'll live better and be able to buy all the nice toys and cameras you'll like.
    Nikon D3, D300, F-100, 10.5 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, Zeiss 100 f/2, 105 f/2.5, 200 f/4 Micro, 200 f/2 VR, 300 f/2.8 AF-S II, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, SU-800, SB-900, 4xSB-800, 1.4x and 1.7x TC
    (2) Profoto Acute 2400 packs w/4 heads, Chimera Boxes