Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Flash Diffuser

Flash Diffuser

Once again, need your expertice. I am looking for a flash diffuser for my Nikon SB-600. So, should I go for a Gary Fong or for a the regular style that just fits on top of the flash?

And if the answer is Gary Fong; cloud or clear? Any other accessories, amber, chrome? Or the new Gary Fong WhaleTail Reporter?

Typical price for the regular style is +/-$15-20. Gary Fong Lightsphere $49, and the Gary Fong WhaleTail Reporter $79.

How about a good'ol bounce card? I know it looks tacky, and specially after spending $1700 on my equipment, what is another $20-80, but I could use the money for the 70-300 VR that I want.

Your comments are very helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    | Nikon D80 | Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF |
    | SB-600 AF Speedlight | Rayovac Hybrid | Gary Fong Lightsphere Cloud |
    | SanDisk Extreme III 2GB x2 | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW |

Some of my Photos @ flickr

i use a stofen on my Metz 54 for interiors when ceilings are not white
    to bounce in these situations colours the flash light
    the stofen avoids this issue and looks more attractive than direct flash
    it takes out a good couple of stops of flash power,
    not really missed on powerful flash like the Metz, but could be an issue with smaller flash units

the Gary Fong example i hear works well, its just not as convenient for me with all my kit, looks kind of odd too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Riley; 07-04-2007 at 10:53 PM.
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    i use a stofen on my Metz 54 for interiors when ceilings are not white
    to bounce in these situations colours the flash light
    the stofen avoids this issue and looks more attractive than direct flash
    it takes out a good couple of stops of flash power,
    not really missed on powerful flash like the Metz, but could be an issue with smaller flash units

the Gary Fong example i hear works well, its just not as convenient for me with all my kit, looks kind of odd too.
    Very nice kitchen. Thanks for the sample. I bought the Sto-Fen, took some shots and did not like the effects. Went back to the store and exchanged it for the Gary Fong Lightsphere Cloud and it is pretty amazing. I kept the shots from the Sto-Fen, and I try my hardest to mimic them with the Gary Fong, and there was a difference. It is worth the extra $30 ($50 final price) Also, I will be able to purchase the future accessories for the Gary Fong if needed.

I know it is bigger to take around, but the guy at the shop gave me the idea of unclipping the belt of my bag and sliding the Gary Fong through it to be able to carry it around.

Once again, thanks for the sample and your comment.
    | Nikon D80 | Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF |

Typical price for the regular style is +/-$15-20. Gary Fong Lightsphere $49, and the Gary Fong WhaleTail Reporter $79.

How about a good'ol bounce card? I know it looks tacky, and specially after spending $1700 on my equipment, what is another $20-80, but I could use the money for the 70-300 VR that I want.

Your comments are very helpful.

Arg. Those contain almost 75 cents worth of plastic...some one has us by the short ones.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    Arg. Those contain almost 75 cents worth of plastic...some one has us by the short ones.
    That I agree with you. Specially if made in China, no offense, but 75 cents might be too high

But, the way I feel is that, first, it does the job good, very good in deed. 2nd, it has to look good/cool, because after spending that much money on a camera, then I walk around with a card on top HEHEHEHEH to laugh about.

It is good. If it broke, I am not sure if I would buy another one, because is so expensive, if it broke I would try to duck tape it!

I discovered the Demb Flash Diffuser through a couple of members in the Nikon DSLR forum, and I like it a lot. It doesn't have the range of optional accessory parts like Gary Fong's Lightsphere, but it's still quite versatile, very compact and light, and easy to carry with you. In my opinion, it's the best overall diffuser I've used so far, but I haven't tried any of the Gary Fong systems.

Here's a comparison between direct, undiffused flash, and bounced flash using the Demb diffuser (I'm holding the diffuser in the first shot). Please pardon the awful background:

I've also used the Lumiquest Promax System and Sto-fen Omni-Bounce. I liked the results from the Lumiquest a lot but it's more fiddly to set up and you have to have velcro strips permanently attached to your speedlight. The results I got from the Sto-fen weren't quite as nice in my opinion but was much easier to attach and to carry around, so I ended up using it more than the Lumiquest.

Stephanie
    My Nikon D80 gallery
    My Fujifilm FinePix F30 and F10 galleries

SLR stuff: Nikon D80 | Nikon F80 | Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom | Nikkor AF 24mm f/2.8D | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2D | Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) | Tamron SP AF 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical (IF) | Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

P&S stuff: Fujifilm FinePix F30 | Fujifilm FinePix F10

Accessories: Slik Sprint Pro GM tripod