Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

aha ha

RIghto. I remember that funny symbol on the top of my camera from which that must be measured from.

that is damn impressive! will definately have to get a UV filter on it!
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

http://www.philipduartephotography.com

"It's better to be hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie"

Question:

If the sigma used the camera motor to focus, does that not mean the battery will be drained quicker?

So far the lens seems to make a lot of noise!

Thanks
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

i haven't noticed any battery degredation so far. my sigma is noisy aswell, so was the tamron 17-50mm f2.8 i had.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by herc182 View Post
    Question:

If the sigma used the camera motor to focus, does that not mean the battery will be drained quicker?

So far the lens seems to make a lot of noise!

Thanks
    All lenses use the camera battery to focus. The difference is some lenses have their own focus motor (Nikon SWM or Sigma HSM) and some use the focus motor in the camera body.
    Lenses with VR generally use a bit more battery than lenses without as they are powering several extra motors as well as the focus one. I have shot over 700 photos with my 55-200VR since last week and the battery charge meter still hasn't moved of full so I guess the difference on newer lenses at least is negligible.

How is the Sigma working for you? Rooz likes it...
    I am jealous... I only have the older, less impressive version.

I still would not put an UV filter standard on it though, it is not like you will always get very close to everything just because you can...
    Just always put the sun hood on it, that gives protection, and helps avoid flares from bright light sources just outside of the field of view.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

I seem to go through the batteries quite quickly. I took about 600 odd photos in Rome, and went through two batteries. One nikon genuine and one off ebay. However, i do change settings very regularly (i.e. aperture obviously, white balance, focus points, metering, iso,) which i guess must drain battery quicker. My brother took about a third of the photos and never changes settings (apart from aperture) and his battery barely moved off full (canon 5D).

coldrain:

Have not had a chance to use it much yet. I must admit i never use the lens hoods. Maybe i will put it on this one and see how it fares. First impressions are that its fairly heavy, noisy, focuses fairly quickly and seems to take good photos (good bokeh). however, i think i might miss the extra length i got from my 18-70mm!

will experiment on the weekend and post some photos back here.
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by herc182 View Post
    I seem to go through the batteries quite quickly. I took about 600 odd photos in Rome, and went through two batteries. One nikon genuine and one off ebay. However, i do change settings very regularly (i.e. aperture obviously, white balance, focus points, metering, iso,) which i guess must drain battery quicker. My brother took about a third of the photos and never changes settings (apart from aperture) and his battery barely moved off full (canon 5D).
    that shouldn;t effect battery life much at all cos i change the exact same things. i'd say this is more to do with you reviewing the images, and how long you review them for, on your main lcd. thats where the battery drain is, not on your top lcd panel.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

to b honest i do check histograms and highlights (the flashing option) throughout. Worth wasting the battery for IMHO. review is set to 3 secs i think.
    Would definately check the histogram after every decent shot....

mystery solved!
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

herc what format are you shooting... jpg fine, raw, both?

I *think* my batteries are lasting longer now that I am shooting raw... No scientific study on it or anything. But I also review my images, histogram, etc. And it seems I can easily get more shots than you are reporting... With the 18-200mm VR (with VR on almost ALL of the time - I do not shut it off to save battery, etc.). If I am getting more shots in raw it does make sense that the tradeoff of more write - time - vs - much more processing engine would conserve battery. For that short period of time when I was shooting raw+jpg my battery went real quick.

Just another variable to consider - especially if you are shooting RAW+JPG
    Nikon D70s
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8D (If you don't have it you need it)
    Nikkor 18-200mm VR II
    SB-600
    Bogen/Manfrotto Tripods/Heads
    NAS (D300, Nikkor 80-200mm (or 70-200mm)f/2.8, Tamron 90mm Macro)

I was shooting mainly JPEG and only very few RAW (at most 10).

I am a bit miffed as to why it ran down "so" quick. I was doing a fair bit of night shots one (or actually two) nights with exposures of aroun 15 secs....

Think I might start another thread about this!
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5