Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
 
 
 
   
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,887

    Damn ebay and auction sniper....

    Well there we go. I was bored, wanted a lens, and bloody got it.
    Got the sigma 18-50 f2.8 macro version.....

    Really wanted it but cant afford it
    However, it was a god price (144) so not complaining too much.

    anyone with this lens, can you let me know what aperture gives best results for it? or any tips for using it....(limitations!).

    I am mad yet happy at the same time....there is still a tripod and flash to get...
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5



    http://www.philipduartephotography.com

    "It's better to be hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    God's Country - Australia
    Posts
    10,424
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,887

    indeed it is....

    Now i have to sell my 18-70mm (which i actually really like) although will hold of to see if i actually like the sigma.

    Now i need something to get the telephoto range

    Then like i said a flash and tripod.....what?
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5



    http://www.philipduartephotography.com

    "It's better to be hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    God's Country - Australia
    Posts
    10,424
    flash isn't too hard. sb600 or 800 depending on your budget. i;m more than satisfied with the power/ recylce time of the 600. although when i buy a 2nd i will certainly get the 800. andy is a lighting master so flashes you're better off talking to him about.

    tripod, 055 or 190pro with 322rc2 head.

    telephoto...well your spoilt for choice it wont be easy to pick one. i went thru a couple before i settled with the VR.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    flash isn't too hard. sb600 or 800 depending on your budget. i;m more than satisfied with the power/ recylce time of the 600. although when i buy a 2nd i will certainly get the 800. andy is a lighting master so flashes you're better off talking to him about.

    tripod, 055 or 190pro with 322rc2 head.

    telephoto...well your spoilt for choice it wont be easy to pick one. i went thru a couple before i settled with the VR.
    Well i have a wish list and the SB-600 and 190 pro are on it....cant remember the head but it was a ball joint one...

    will leave the telephoto for when my credit card companies stop calling me and asking it the card is still in my possession
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5



    http://www.philipduartephotography.com

    "It's better to be hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,590
    Quote Originally Posted by herc182 View Post
    anyone with this lens, can you let me know what aperture gives best results for it? or any tips for using it....(limitations!).
    Don't use a lens with "sharpest aperture setting", just use the lens with the aperture appropriate for your photo!

    The correct depth of field will do a LOT more for a photo than the lest drop of resolution.

    The Sigma 18-50 is quite sharp over the entire aperture range, just do not go past f14 unless you have to have a very deep field of view.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    Don't use a lens with "sharpest aperture setting", just use the lens with the aperture appropriate for your photo!

    The correct depth of field will do a LOT more for a photo than the lest drop of resolution.

    The Sigma 18-50 is quite sharp over the entire aperture range, just do not go past f14 unless you have to have a very deep field of view.
    Yeah fair point. I bought the 2.8 for creativity really. However, it made me wonder why the primes are so much more expensive when you are only getting one focal length. I love my 35mm f2 dont get me wrong but is the quality that much better from a 20mm f2.8 or 28mm f2.8?

    I must admit i love the 35mm as it makes me work harder for my shots with composition.
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5



    http://www.philipduartephotography.com

    "It's better to be hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,590
    Quote Originally Posted by herc182 View Post
    Yeah fair point. I bought the 2.8 for creativity really. However, it made me wonder why the primes are so much more expensive when you are only getting one focal length. I love my 35mm f2 dont get me wrong but is the quality that much better from a 20mm f2.8 or 28mm f2.8?

    I must admit i love the 35mm as it makes me work harder for my shots with composition.
    The Sigma will probably be BETTER than most wide angle primes, like a 28mm f2.8 Nikon.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,887
    Heres a question. The Sigma 18-50 arrived. I was playing around with it and realised that i can focus on things that are almost touching the glass. Is that right?! it says 20cm.....even at the telephoto end!
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5



    http://www.philipduartephotography.com

    "It's better to be hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,148
    20cm would be from the sensor. So yes, you can get pretty freakin close. Not real familiar with the lens, but that is what the measurement means. Working distance is different, it is measured from the front element to the subject, that would be less.
    Nikon D70s
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8D (If you don't have it you need it)
    Nikkor 18-200mm VR II
    SB-600
    Bogen/Manfrotto Tripods/Heads
    NAS (D300, Nikkor 80-200mm (or 70-200mm)f/2.8, Tamron 90mm Macro)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •