Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by tcadwall View Post
    AF-S is supposed to designate not only that the lens has internal focusing, but that it is also instantly over-rideable by turning the focus ring.
    I wonder about that. Did Nikon actually ever come out publicly and say that? It may be that everybody assumes that is the case because all AF-S lenses until recently have had that feature. But until recently all AF-S lenses have been at the higher end of the scale, now they are drifting down to consumer class.
    It may simply be that the S designates that the lens has a Silent Wave Motor, no more and no less.

It may simply be that the S designates that the lens has a Silent Wave Motor, no more and no less
    This is probably more correct, but until the time of the mentioned lenses, I believe all AF-S lenses had automatic override, which kinda made the user world believe it to be synonymous.
    Nikon D70s
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8D (If you don't have it you need it)
    Nikkor 18-200mm VR II
    SB-600
    Bogen/Manfrotto Tripods/Heads
    NAS (D300, Nikkor 80-200mm (or 70-200mm)f/2.8, Tamron 90mm Macro)

Quote Originally Posted by tcadwall View Post
    I believe all AF-S lenses had automatic override, which kinda made the user world believe it to be synonymous.
    I agree I think everybody assumed that because a feature was there is was automatically part of the set defined by AF-S. I guess Nikon actually had other ideas.
    Now that AF-S and VR will be incorporated in all or almost all new lenses (that is my thoughts) we may see two classes. The Pro or semi Pro lens with the manual focus override and the consumer lens with a lighter construction and no manual override.

That is the weird thing... I don't consider the 18-200mm VR a pro lens... and there are others as well, that have AF-S, aren't pro glass, and still have the auto override.

On a separate note, I think the Tamron 90mm (which I am interested in) has an override that is more simple than the switch, you just pull (or push, can't remember) on the barrel to engage the clutch. So you could af, and pull the barrel, and in one movement, fine-tune the focus. One extra step, but very close to the auto-override - no fumbling for the correct switch - VR models have at least 2 switches.
    Nikon D70s
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8D (If you don't have it you need it)
    Nikkor 18-200mm VR II
    SB-600
    Bogen/Manfrotto Tripods/Heads
    NAS (D300, Nikkor 80-200mm (or 70-200mm)f/2.8, Tamron 90mm Macro)

does the AF lenses work with this body?

I just googled that very same question (af vs. af-s) and found this site and your answer.
    Thanks so much for your answer. I'm going to keep coming to this site for info. etc. Thanks again.

Good stuff, welcome to DCResource and glad the site helped
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate