Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Memory question

Memory question

Sorry but this may be a dumb question. I am a tech idiot so I have to ask. Is there any kind of external memory or external hard drive where I can plug in my DSLR's memory card or USB from the camera and store my photos. I know you can use card readers with a computer, but I'm looking for something I can off load my pics onto while I'm in the field, and then upload them to my computer when I get home. Thaks for any help!

It sounds like you're asking for something like the Epson P-3000 (40GB) or P-5000 (80GB) portable storage devices with a 4" viewing screen and slots for CF & SD memory cards. Or there's the cheaper JOBO Giga One, which doesn't allow viewing, but does support more card types. I think there are other similar devices from other manufacturers.

I've got the 40GB Jobo Giga One and works well. It doesn't allow viewing, but then I didn't get it for that reason. I just needed it to dump my cards to when they were filled.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Cheers guys! Great, sounds just right. What do they use for a power source? Plug in the wall or batteries?

The Jobo has an internal rechargeable battery and can run off the ac adapter. It runs off the pc's usb port when you're dumping from it to your pc.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

With the price of memory dropping so quickly, you might look into simply buying a few more 2G or 4G memory cards. The break even point is pretty low right now.

D - thanks for the advice. I'll do a bit more research and decide what works best!

David - from what I can see, buying 40GB worth of memory cards could be a lot more costly. Where I'm going in a few weeks, I will be shooting for almost 6 solid weeks with out a chance to dump the photos on to my computer so I'm going to need a lot of storage. So much that I just don't think simple memory cards will do the trick. But then again, maybe I'm totally off with my info. Tthis is why I am going to do more research

This is also why I am very grateful for all of your comments. I'm never disappointed with this forum. Cheers to everybody!
    Last edited by zmikers; 07-01-2007 at 03:51 PM.

zmikers - I use a Wolverine FlashPac 7000 reader/storage unit and I really love it. It is a no frills 7 in 1 card reader and it has taken all the abuse that I have given it for the past year. I'm always surprised that I don't hear more about these units. The battery (rechargeable) life is pretty decent. They come in capacities of 60 to 120 Gigs and cost between 139$ and 199$. You can often get better prices for them. I paid 100$ for 60 gigs and that was a year ago. Wolverine also has higher end units with preview displays, etc. You'll find all the products that they offer by doing a 'wolverine' search on the main B&H site. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by nqjudo View Post
    zmikers - I use a Wolverine FlashPac 7000 reader/storage unit and I really love it. It is a no frills 7 in 1 card reader and it has taken all the abuse that I have given it for the past year. I'm always surprised that I don't hear more about these units. The battery (rechargeable) life is pretty decent. They come in capacities of 60 to 120 Gigs and cost between 139$ and 199$. You can often get better prices for them. I paid 100$ for 60 gigs and that was a year ago. Wolverine also has higher end units with preview displays, etc. You'll find all the products that they offer by doing a 'wolverine' search on the main B&H site. Good luck!
    Great stuff! thanks a lot, that really helps