Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Canon A710 or A570??

I have been struggling with a camera choice for a couple of weeks now, reading reviews all over the place, and actually trying the cameras. I simply cannot make up my mind.

I really like the 6x zoom of the 710, but the flash recharge time is a big issue for me. The 570 seems slightly better, but I'm not sure if its worth giving up the zoom for. But I like the idea of having the newer processor.

On one hand I like the idea of the facial recognition, on the other hand I wasn't overwhelmed with how well it seemed to work - seldom are my subjects (5 and 8 years old) looking straight at the camera.

I guess the biggest question I have, is whether the actual quality of the photos is the same between the two cameras. I have read all the comments about noise at various ISO's and such, and since no two reviews are phrased in exactly the same manner (ie. a direct comparison) I can't figure it out.

My local camera shop is being very patient, and very helpful, but I'm looking for more advice I guess.

I thought that what I really wanted, but couldn't afford was the SD850IS, but after reading some reviews I'm not so sure of that. I also have a struggle with that battery pack - don't like it, but that's what makes the camera faster. But I'm getting close to just getting it or the 800. How does their picture quality compare to the 710/570?

More and more I lean towards not buying a new camera and just slogging along with my Sony DCSP73 (see why I need a new camera?)

I think I'm going insane.

The picture quality for all these cameras is pretty comparable. Unless you are doing large prints or examining them pixel by pixel, I doubt you'll notice much difference in true image quality. There are minor differences, but in the grand scheme of things, I doubt they will affect your enjoyment of any of the cameras.

If you think you'll appreciate the extra zoom, go for that one. If you really want an ultracompact, go for the SD-series. Don't kill yourself, all the cameras are good. Buy one and start taking pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    Don't kill yourself, all the cameras are good. Buy one and start taking pictures.
    I keep telling myself that. Unfortunately this feels like a major purchase for me, I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and I really don't want to be unhappy with the camera two months down the road.

Thanks for your comments though, they are helpful.

Deborah

My point is that you won't be unhappy with any of them. If you want to use manual controls or don't need the ultracompact size of the SDxxx then either the 570 or the 710 will be excellent choices. The big deciding point in my mind would be do you want the extra zoom. If so, get the 710, otherwise I'd get the 570.

Every 4 months the camera makers release better versions of the their cameras. In 1 year your camera will be very far behind the curve no matter what you buy today. Accept that fact, and then ignore it since there's nothing you can do about it and in the long run all that matters is that you were out there taking pictures.

-dave-

I'm not worried about the camera being behind a curve - I can accept that.

My biggest concern really boils down to the flash recharge delay I guess. I realize it is a product of the AA batteries, which I actual prefer to use, except for that one point. I will be using this camera, and only this camera for a number of years (I would say a minimum of 5) and I know that if something is bothering me about it I will just take fewer and fewer photos (my husband would say this could be a good thing).

I'm not trying to be obstinate or difficult, but am truly struggling with this. Starting to lean to the 570 since it is a little bit faster, and I've been managing with a 4mp 3x zoom for the last 4 years.

If you do decide to go with either of the A series and you're worried about flash recycle time, make sure you pick up at least a set of good, high capacity rechargeable batteries like these. It will be a huge difference if you're using alkalines now. Those are the batteries I use in my A710. I personally like the IS and longer zoom of the A710 over the extra batteries of the A570.

The flash recycle time on the A710 is slow due to only having 2 AA batteries.
    The A570 only used 2 also doesn't it? I doubt it will be much of an improvement.
    If you are worried about faster flash times, then maybe you should look at the slightly larger A6XX series.

I compared these two models and the thing that sold me was the optical viewfinder on the A570. Is is larger and brighter than the A710. Also, I wanted the Digic III processor instead of the Digic II.

The thing I like lease about the A570 is the flash recycle time. I don't know if the 710 is better or not, but they both use 2 AA's. If flash recycle time is an issue, you should look at an A6xx, as they use 4 AA's.
    Digital:
    Canon PowerShot A570 IS

Nikon D5000

Film:
    Fujica ST605n
    Olympus XA

Cameras from my past:
    Fujifilm S6000fd; Canon PowerShot S50; Canon PowerShot A40; Nikon N8008s; Pentax Spotmatic F; Fujica ST605; Canon Canonet GIII QL19

Quote Originally Posted by seo View Post
    I compared these two models and the thing that sold me was the optical viewfinder on the A570. Is is larger and brighter than the A710. Also, I wanted the Digic III processor instead of the Digic II.

The thing I like lease about the A570 is the flash recycle time. I don't know if the 710 is better or not, but they both use 2 AA's. If flash recycle time is an issue, you should look at an A6xx, as they use 4 AA's.
    Have compared the two for flash time and the 580 is very slightly faster. I know the problem is the two AA's though. Don't think I'm ready to sacrifice photo quality for speed though.

Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by FlashX83 View Post
    If you do decide to go with either of the A series and you're worried about flash recycle time, make sure you pick up at least a set of good, high capacity rechargeable batteries like these. It will be a huge difference if you're using alkalines now. Those are the batteries I use in my A710. I personally like the IS and longer zoom of the A710 over the extra batteries of the A570.
    Thankyou. I have some 2600 rechargeables that I've been using.