Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would you take your dslr to DisneyWorld?

Planning to buy a DSLR later this year and also going to Disneyworld later this year.

Seems like a DSLR would be great for taking photos in the Animal Kingdom but on the other hand, the size and weight seems to be overkill for a Disneyworld trip. Would you take your DSLR to Disneyworld or leave it at home and take your compact digital camera?

BTW, I have a Canon SD550 7.1mp, 3x zoom compact and the wife still likes her Olympus Stylus Epic 35mm film camera.

Depends what dSLR and what lens but I wouldn't go crazy if you take a dSLR unless your goal is "photographs" and not enjoyment of the day.

Tim

Mike - I took a trip to Disney in May and I pondered that question for a long while before leaving. Finally I took only my P&S and I am glad that I did. Taking the camera on or into attractions means a lot of banging, bumping, vibrating and sometimes a good amount of water.

Like everywhere, there are some nice opportunities to capture images at Disney. I saw very few people with SLRs at Disney. They were mostly people who were not taking part in the attractions themselves but living the experience vicariously through their kids or grandkids. So I guess it boils down to what kind of Disney vacation you are taking. If you're going to participate a lot, I would say leave the SLR at home. You might be lucky enough to have a non-participant 3rd party with you who can help manage the camera.

If you are one of those people who is obsessive about capturing the best images possible then I guess you'll be bringing it along regardless but there's no reason why you can't take home a bunch of nice memories using a more convenient format. Good luck and have fun.

I have taken my D70 to Disneyland, and other potentially distructive venues as well. Since I usually carry a backpack, when I'm not using the camera it is in it's case in the backpack so the extra lug-factor is minimal.

Seems a shame to leave the "good" camera home. ISO1000-1600 comes in very handy.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm View Post
    I have taken my D70 to Disneyland, and other potentially distructive venues as well. Since I usually carry a backpack, when I'm not using the camera it is in it's case in the backpack so the extra lug-factor is minimal.

Seems a shame to leave the "good" camera home. ISO1000-1600 comes in very handy.
    Did you go on any rollercoasters?

I think it all boils down to this. Are you going to Disney World to enjoy the rides and attractions? Or are you going to Disney World to take high quality pictures?

A small point and shoot camera may give you less to carry and worry about, but then some of your pictures may suffer in the lack of ability your DSLR will give you.

If I was going for the rides and attractions, then I would bring my point and shoot which fits nicely in my pocket. But if I was more like the grandparents in the previous post, then definitely the DSLR would be my choice.

You might think about bringing both cameras. And then locking one up in a locker at the park when you are not using it. Say for instance that you start out at the Magic Kingdom or EPCOT center. Lock up the DLSR and carry the point and shoot so you can enjoy yourself. Then later in the day you decide to visit the Animal Kingdom, that definitely sounds like a good time to go get the DSLR.

My first visit to Disney World was 23 years ago. I decided to leave my film SLR at home and only take a small point and shoot camera. The pictures I took were not great. But on the other had I didn't have to work hard at the pictures I did take and had a lot more time for fun. I still look back at the album I put together from that trip. Sure I could have had better pictures with my 35mm SLR, but c'est la vie! I still had a great time and remember it as one of the best vacations ever taken.

Bring both cameras. You will see many people with DSLRs and you will wish you had yours!!!

We have season passes and I take my DSLR to Disney every time. I wouldn't think of leaving it home. I have a backpack and have not had any problems with it at all. I am going to Universal/Islands of Adventure next weekend and will be bringing the camera. I also have a PS which my wife uses and I use it for the video.

I have small kids so I hang the backpack on the stroller as I am pushing them.
    Canon XTi & SD600

Quote Originally Posted by cwat212 View Post
    Bring both cameras. You will see many people with DSLRs and you will wish you had yours!!!

We have season passes and I take my DSLR to Disney every time. I wouldn't think of leaving it home. I have a backpack and have not had any problems with it at all. I am going to Universal/Islands of Adventure next weekend and will be bringing the camera. I also have a PS which my wife uses and I use it for the video.

I have small kids so I hang the backpack on the stroller as I am pushing them.
    Cwat, you are in for a treat. Universal/IOA is an awesome park filled with some of my favorite rollercoasters in the world! Hulk, Spidy, Dueling Dragons...

Can you take me?

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    I took my digital compact. It did really well at Disney but some of the rides - particularly the safari ride went so fast that my digital compact just could not focus. My digital SLR would have snapped into focus instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by photowire View Post
    Cwat, you are in for a treat. Universal/IOA is an awesome park filled with some of my favorite rollercoasters in the world! Hulk, Spidy, Dueling Dragons...

Can you take me?

^ you would have to be in charge of the 3 children!!!

Rhys, I agree about the Safari ride. It really is excellent and the PS just doesn't cut it....
    Canon XTi & SD600