Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bought camera off ebay and it has problems Canon s3

Before I go and complain about it being faulty I thought I would run it by you all first so if they say it is normal I will have some ammo. Though it was from ebay it is also from a fairly big camera shop here in Canada.

Here are the problems:
    At all speeds it has 3 hot pixels, and 4 hot pixels at 1/640 and slower. They are quite bright. 3 red and 1 white.

And when I rotate the camera in my hand there is a rattle, sounds a lot like loose plastic rattling around inside. I have the S2 and it doesnt have this rattle, it is a very sharp sound definatly sounds like a bit of plastic rolling around

I am now regretting going the route of ebay for this but hey you learn.
    Last edited by BKKC; 06-21-2007 at 05:41 PM.

The rattling sound is normal. It's the sensor to tell the camera whether it is being held vertically or horizontally.

The pixels are another issue, and it's up to you whether or not you're willing to live with them.
    I have a camera. It takes pictures.

I am willing to accept the rattle if it is normal, though I do wonder why I do not have the same rattle in my S2 when they are very similar cameras. But as I said I am willing to accept that if normal.

The hot pixels drive me nuts, I have software to remove them but in a camera straight out of the box I dont like it. Thanks for responding

return it if you can.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

well obviously the hot pixels are a defect. is it just the lcd, or is it the ccd and in all your pictures?

the rattle is also NOT normal. The sensor to detect the cameras orientation is solid state, no moving parts (well there is, but were talking micro scale here). if you shake it, you'll hear the ccd moving (image stabilization has it on rails), but simply turning it on its side and upside down, you should hear nothing.

^Yes, moving gently side to side, you shouldn't hear anything. But when are actually shaking it on purpose, yeah, it rattles. Like said, if returnable, you probably should. Ebay is full of grey market, factory seconds, and refurbs claimed to be new. It's well worth it to either buy from a personal seller (not someone who has 60 of the same camera listed, but an individual who has upgraded and can provide pictures of the ACTUAL item) or a retail store. You might have saved $30 in price, but you gained $30 in hassle.
    I have a camera. It takes pictures.

The rattle happens even when I hold the camera in my hands and rotate my wrist. And the hot pixels appear even when I download the pictures, I can find them when I view on the camera but it is defiantly on the picture itself.

So I am contacting them to see what options they will suggest. The options listed on the auction if something was wrong are fix, replace or refund (only if they dont have any others in the same model) I hope for refund then I will go and buy it at a local store.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I now know I should ahve a leg to stand on

Sure a bummer and hate to think of you having so many problems. Maybe contact Canon with the serial # and see if they say it is a legitimate Canon or gray market. If legit you should be able to send it to Canon for repair/replacement per the warranty. I would rather do that than depend on the seller to do something.
    Bernie-S3IS

Sounds to me like you have something busted inside the camera. I get no rattling sound in my S3. I just double checked. Nope, no sound. The one thing I did find out when researching the camera that I bought was that just about all the S3 cameras you see advertised are International cameras.

I concur as well, no rattling on my S3. That kind of rattling is an obvious issue, but could be the result of shipping, too.

What was to proposed condition of the camera they stated in the auction listing? If it was something like new or like new condition, then they must either be idiots, lieing or both.

Though, it may be possible they just did a quick test and didn't see the dead pixels, or they may have been hoping you wouldn't see them. Either cases seem to have equal weight as possibilities. Ask them questions like, "Did you shoot any test pictures to verify functionality?" or "What kind of testing did you do on the camera?" These kind of questions leave you an opportunity to fish for information with out sounding too terribly invasive and putting them in the defensive.

Well, you'd probably have better off asking these questions before hand, but that's just rubbing salt in your wounds. Sorry.

Good luck with the endeavor and I certainly hope that you get what need to taken care of.