Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

orange_angel Guest

Pocket camera, other that Fuji that are good in low light?

I have decided to buy a new digital camera. I already have one, but itīs a bit large and not the kind you bring with you all the time. So I want a smaller size camera, although it does not have to be super tiny in any way.

Something I would also like it to be, is that it should take good photos indoor and in low light situations, so it should have a good flash, high ISO without too much noise, and also be able to focus in low light situations.

The photos taken in other situations has to be good also!

Something that would be nice is also if the camera could use SD memory cards, since the camera I already own does.

I have been surfing the Net looking at cameras and I canīt find my perfect camera. Fuji F20, F30 or F40 is obviously the best in low light situations, but somehow thees cameras donīt feel right and except from F40 they donīt use SD cards.

Besides from the Fuji models which camera preforms best in low light situations?

I really need some help, cause this camera buying thing is taken way to much of my time.

This is my answers to the questions:

Budget:
    Around $200-$300

Size:
    Pocket size or slightly larger

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    5 or higher

What optical zoom will you need?
    I like to zoom, but I already have a camera with 10x, so 3x should be enough in this one, but I would low a higher zoom

How important is “image quality” to you?
    The most important thing! Especially in indoor/low light situations. (10)

Do you care for manual controls?
    Yes, would be nice.

What will you generally use the camera for?
    Have it with me to take photos of things that are interesting, people, houses, things, nature, animals...

Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    I donīt have that planned right now.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Yes!

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Perhaps

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    Not really, but those Fuji models just doesnīt speak to me.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    Lots of them:
    Canon Powershot A570 IS
    Sony DSC-W35
    Sony DSC-W55
    Sony DSC-W80
    Fujifilm Finepix F20
    Fujifilm Finepix F30
    Fujifilm Finepix F40
    Nikon CoolPix S7c
    Samsung NV10
    Samsung NV3
    Samsung S1050 (somehow I have really fallen for this camera, but I donīt think itīs low light photos are good enough, but I wish they would be)

Do you need any of the following special features?
    Image Stabilization, perhaps

Thanks everyone who takes time to help me!

Fuji is best for low light. What's wrong with Fuji?

Right now the Fujis are the best at high ISO shots. The rest are, by comparison, either merely acceptable when viewed at smaller sizes, or pretty awful. But if you're dead set against Fuji, then I'd suggest one of the Canon models with IS (A710 IS, A570 IS, SD800 IS, or SD850 IS - the last one exceeds your budget, though). IS would save you from having to rely on higher ISO in certain situations. And the Canon models tend to keep more detail in their high ISO photos at the expense of added graininess, which you can probably reduce with noise-reduction software.

Stephanie
    My Nikon D80 gallery
    My Fujifilm FinePix F30 and F10 galleries

SLR stuff: Nikon D80 | Nikon F80 | Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom | Nikkor AF 24mm f/2.8D | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2D | Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) | Tamron SP AF 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical (IF) | Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

P&S stuff: Fujifilm FinePix F30 | Fujifilm FinePix F10

Accessories: Slik Sprint Pro GM tripod

Thumbs up Seems to me you should choose the camera that does the best job...

If it's one of the Fujis, and they are indeed the BEST in low-light, why pass them up in favor of another camera that will disappoint you time and again, just because you also may have to chip in $25 more for a 1G xD card? There IS no parity at the moment, no one else in the small-camera marketplace equals their low-light capability with or without flash. So save yourself a lot of headaches, and just get a Fuji, I'd recommend.
    Let a be your umbrella!