Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

40D live preview

Those of you who have upgraded to the 40D, how do you like the live preview? Do you use it often?

Also, if you upgraded to the 40D from the 30D, was it worth?

Thanks!

I never use the live preview except when shooting macro. It is extremely useful for macro because of the zoom feature that allows for very precise manual focus. If not for shooting macro it would be a pretty useless feature for me but different people have different preferences I guess.
    The respect of those you respect is greater than the applause of the multitude.

I would use it VERY often if I had a 40D, because of the unusual camera standpoints I often take.
    Also worth mentioning is that the live view in the Canon 40D is very well implemented... it works great with feedback on the settings, and the AF is fast. Much better than the Nikon implementation in the D300.

So... even though I do not have a 40D, I can really recommend the 40D for its live view.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

having used both the 40d and d300 for a multitude of applications and mostly in live view mode for macros i have a totally different view to coldy. yes the 40d will AF faster in live view but that does not change the fact that it has to flip the mirror and there is the delay in taking the picture while the d300 will AF, (albeit slowly), and take the pic without having to flip the mirror. it is a MUCH better and more useful system imo, (depending what you shoot of course).

both the 40d and the d300 lack the flip screen which makes the live view severly limited for getting different angles aswell becasue you still cant see the screen well enuf without a flip screen.

none of the live view's are useful for candids or anything where the subject is moving cos they are too slow with either AF or mirror flip up. the benefit of the d300 is you can pre focus manually and hit the shutter for instant activation. *i have never used the E3 so i don;t know about its capability.

the pefect live view setup is actually a comination of 3 dslr's:

the d300's live view WITH AF
    the 40d's speed of AF
    the E3's flip screen

hopefully the next generation of dslr live views will get it right.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

The D300 also has to flip its screen up. And then again it is slow, why is not really clear.
    Its AF while live-viewing is unusably slow, why is also not clear. But because it is SO slow (and often does not get AF lock) is why Nikon designated it to just be a tripod mounted macro mode.

If you want AF without the mirror to flip up and actually have a usable implementation, get a Panasonic L10, I think. Its contrast detect AF actually works (why the Nikon has such problems with this is to me totally unclear, as this is how compact digital camera work?), and it has a flip out rotating display too.

But for live view to be usable, the EOS 40D is perfect. It is very fast with its AF just before making the photo, something that the D300 does not do so well.

So to recap live view:Canon EOS 40D, with histogram, with image settings displayed (WB, colour, contrast stuff), fast AF with mirror flip up, 30 frames per second smooth live view.
    Nikon D300: no histogram, no image settings used in the live view (Nikon says it would take too much time (Canon does it at twice the frame rate), slow AF with mirror flip up, unusably slow AF with contrast detection, only 15 frames per second (a bit choppy).
    Panasonic L10: Histogram, takes image settings into account, fast flip up AF, usable contrast detection AF (only with the 2 kit lenses... why?).

So... place 1 in usable live view implementation: L10 (maybe E3 too)
    Place 2: 40D
    Place 3: D300 with a distance
    Last edited by coldrain; 12-26-2007 at 02:20 PM.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    The D300 also has to flip its screen up. And then again it is slow, why is not really clear.
    Its AF while live-viewing is unusably slow, why is also not clear. But because it is SO slow (and often does not get AF lock) is why Nikon designated it to just be a tripod mounted macro mode.

If you want AF without the mirror to flip up and actually have a usable implementation, get a Panasonic L10, I think. Its contrast detect AF actually works (why the Nikon has such problems with this is to me totally unclear, as this is how compact digital camera work?), and it has a flip out rotating display too.

But for live view to be usable, the EOS 40D is perfect. It is very fast with its AF just before making the photo, something that the D300 does not do so well.

So to recap live view:Canon EOS 40D, with histogram, with image settings displayed (WB, colour, contrast stuff), fast AF with mirror flip up, 30 frames per second smooth live view.
    Nikon D300: no histogram, no image settings used in the live view (Nikon says it would take too much time (Canon does it at twice the frame rate), slow AF with mirror flip up, unusably slow AF with contrast detection, only 15 frames per second (a bit choppy).
    Panasonic L10: Histogram, takes image settings into account, fast flip up AF, usable contrast detection AF (only with the 2 kit lenses... why?).

So... place 1 in usable live view implementation: L10 (maybe E3 too)
    Place 2: 40D
    Place 3: D300 with a distance
    i say this with a degree of respect, but i can't help but say that this is complete and utter ROT from someone that obviously has used neither. i won't say anymore about it in this thread becasue your mind is made up based on heresay and not a small degree of nonsense...but i say again, your post is utter rubbish and has no factual content about usability AT ALL.

as you were gentlemen.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I am a little embarrassed to admit that I haven't even used my live view. Call me strange, but I just like using the viewfinder.
    When Spring rolls around and I and I start doing more flower/macro shots then I might try using the live view, but right now I'm not using it at all.
    Michael B.
    Canon 5D2, 550D, Sony NEX 5N, Sigma 15mm fish, 24L mkI, 35L, 40mm f/2.8, 50 1.8 II, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro, 60mm macro, 100mm f/2, 70-200 f/4, 200 f/2.8 mk I, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, 430EX. Growing list of MF lenses!

I love the liveview for marco, plus you can hook it up to a computer and use lifeview on a big monitor. Check out my small write up on it here
    Digital Camera Blog - Coolfix.Net

I dont use it either

michaelb congrats on the new lens
    flickr
    dcrp shooter's on flickr

7D,Bge7,Canon 70 200 F4L IS,Canon 17 40 f4L,Canon 100 2.8 Macro,Canon 400 5.6L,580 EX II,Tamron1.4XTC SP AF

Quote Originally Posted by drama View Post
    I dont use it either

michaelb congrats on the new lens
    Thanks Drama, loving it so far.
    Michael B.
    Canon 5D2, 550D, Sony NEX 5N, Sigma 15mm fish, 24L mkI, 35L, 40mm f/2.8, 50 1.8 II, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro, 60mm macro, 100mm f/2, 70-200 f/4, 200 f/2.8 mk I, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, 430EX. Growing list of MF lenses!