Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which is best "point & shoot" pocket Digital under AUD$350.00?

Hi.

Great forum.

My four year old Casio QV-R41 is now dead. The repairer said, if it's the lens, or CPU, then it's bin material.

I paid a premium price for what I thought was a quality camera in its class at the time (metal body, small size, large LCD screen, quality lens, made in Japan etc ) and now regret it. My Pentax K1000 is still going after 35 years!

Do I pay big bucks, and end up holding the bag again, or do I go for a cheap-y and regret its performance?

What's the best value quality point and shoot digital pocket camera one can live with, without a silly price, but with acceptable performance? In other words what's the best value and quality camera for under AUD$350.00?

Desirables:

Reliable.
    Fast Chip (some take two seconds from when you depress the trigger).
    6+ Mexapixels.
    Good size LCD.
    Quality lens with min 3 x optical zoom.
    Not too big.
    Good battery performance included in package.
    Viewfinder is desirable.
    Best value for money.
    Acceptable photos.

Rocky

Good Pocketable Point and Shoot Camera

Rocky-

Jeff has done a review on the Sony W-35/55 (the number seems to vary with your geographical area of the world). I got the camera as a gift for my Mom and I must tell you, I had to give it a spin.

Frankly I was really impressed. In the USA, the Sony W-55 is selling for less than $(US) 200.00. Here is a sample photo taken indoors, handheld, with no flash, with the ISO at ISO 400. It might be worth a look.

Sarah
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly View Post
    Rocky-
    Jeff has done a review on the Sony W-35/55 (the number seems to vary with your geographical area of the world). I got the camera as a gift for my Mom and I must tell you, I had to give it a spin.
    Frankly I was really impressed. In the USA, the Sony W-55 is selling for less than $(US) 200.00. Here is a sample photo taken indoors, handheld, with no flash, with the ISO at ISO 400. It might be worth a look.
    Sarah
    Thanks Sarah.

I'll research this model.

Photo looks good.

Rocky.

Hi Rocky, here in Australia A$350 will nearly get you the Sony DSC-W100 which is now discontinued but can still be found if you look around, this was originally a A$499 camera.

The W100 has the larger 1/1.8" sensor plus manual controls, and good images can be taken in low light at ISO 400 and ISO 800 with noise reduction software, had ours since Nov last year and can highly recommend this camera.
    W100:

Last edited by Wirraway; 06-09-2007 at 03:51 AM.
    -Ian

Sony DSC-F707
    Sony DSC-H5
    Sony DSC-W100

Do some searching for Fuji F20 & F30.

They are supposed to be "leaders" in low light photography. The F30 has ISO of 3200 and manual settings for Av & Tv.

Last weekend, I was offered an F20 for $320 at Domayne and an F30 for $399. Can't guarantee they will do it for the same price this weekend.
    Canon 5D MKlll & Canon 50D
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 430EX Flash | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro Toploader 65 AW | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW | Kata 3n1-10

Panasonic Lumix FZ200
    Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (aka ZS3)
    Panasonic Lumix FT3 (aka TS3)

Ali Baba.....the Thief of Bad Gags

Quote Originally Posted by Wirraway View Post
    Hi Rocky, here in Australia A$350 will nearly get you the Sony DSC-W100 which is now discontinued but can still be found if you look around, this was originally a A$499 camera.

The W100 has the larger 1/1.8" sensor plus manual controls, and good images can be taken in low light at ISO 400 and ISO 800 with noise reduction software, had ours since Nov last year and can highly recommend this camera. W100:
    Thanks Ian.

I had a look around.

Sadly this camera is still in the plus AU$400.00 range.

A little ablove my budget.

I'm out of work at the moment and my new philosophy is to never pay more than I have to.

That's why my current crusade is to get the best value for money camera at the lowest price if there is such a thing.
    Last edited by Rockyysdt; 06-10-2007 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Gaza View Post
    Do some searching for Fuji F20 & F30.

They are supposed to be "leaders" in low light photography. The F30 has ISO of 3200 and manual settings for Av & Tv.

Last weekend, I was offered an F20 for $320 at Domayne and an F30 for $399. Can't guarantee they will do it for the same price this weekend.
    Definitely.

I stumbled across both these cameras and learnt their outstanding characteristics.

Excellent low light performance and fast trigger response.

These cameras, particularly the F30 are now much harder to get and command full price because of their reputation.

The F30 replacement, the F31 is also good, but at $400.00 is $100 - $150 more than my ideal outlay.

I wish I had a crystal ball.

I'm no professional here, but I love my Canon PowerShot A610, definitely the best point and shoot camera I've shot pictures with. You can find it for under $200, but there's a newer model, the A710 IS, which I've heard rave reviews about. It's also around the $200-250 mark.

A710 IS Review:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A710/A710A.HTM

Quote Originally Posted by barb1686 View Post
    I'm no professional here, but I love my Canon PowerShot A610, definitely the best point and shoot camera I've shot pictures with. You can find it for under $200, but there's a newer model, the A710 IS, which I've heard rave reviews about. It's also around the $200-250 mark.

A710 IS Review:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A710/A710A.HTM
    Thanks Barb.

Nice cameras.

I'd buy the A710 IS if it was cheaper.

Best price I found was AU$389.00 from a local store.

Best price I found was AU$399.00 from an Australian internet store incl. shipping.

I try to avoid international internet purchases as often you can have warranty difficulties.

I wonder if there are any cameras in the AU$200-$250 mark which are as good?
    Last edited by Rockyysdt; 06-10-2007 at 08:00 PM.

Oops sorry, I forgot about the currency difference!