Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Help!

Hi Jay! Came across your post from a Google search. I have a problem with a Casio Exilim EX-Z77. I dropped it with the barrel extended and the inner barrel became cocked. I eventually pushed the barrel back into the camera (don't know if was the best idea, but I panicked), and I got the terrible "RETRY POWER ON" and "LENS ERROR" messages. Not wanting to spend $100+ on repairing it, I tried finding DIY methods online, and came across yours. I haven't seen a better and specific DIY method than yours, so thank you for that already! Also, your tutorial applies to my model as well (thank god).

Now, I did everything up until a few steps at the end of the Focus Lens Removal portion. The step where it says to remove the main drive gear and extend the lens again gave me a problem. Well, actually, I already had a problem in the first portion of the tutorial, when you said to move the main drive gear to extend the barrel. I could only turn it so much to extend the barrel 2 cm outward. I continued on, thinking that something in the focus lens portion would help, but there didn't seem to be anything wrong there. With the focus lens out, I was able to extend the barrel, but with resistance. I didn't really know what to do from that point. I really believe there is something wrong with the barrel. Have you come across this problem? Do you have any tips on what I can do?

Thank you in advance!

The problem is you pushed the lens into the barrel. They don't like that as the small lens barrel has 3 metal pins that ride inside the larger lens barrel as it twists. Pushing it usually cracks the plastic holding these 3 pins in...but not always. The only way to fix it is trying to carefully disassemble the entire lens barrel. Sometimes you can...sometimes a part just snaps, or is already snapped. The easiest method would be to just replace the lens assembly with a good used one from another camera. Maybe something with a broken LCD of eBay or such.
    | Canon 5D, XTi, EOS-3 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 85mm f1.8 USM | Canon 50mm f1.4 USM | Canon 28mm f1.8 USM | Canon 580EX II | Elinchrom Skyports | Vivitar 283 + 285 flashes...Alien Bees...etc. | Mamiya M645 1000s | Canonet Junior, Bell & Howell Dial-35 + too much other gear...

Yeah, I thought it was a bad idea. Anyway, have you ever disassembled a lens barrel? If so, do you have any tips?

Yep, just did one yesterday. Everything is done from the back. Try to carefully get the shutter assembly out, which has the 3 plastic prongs which rides inside the lens, before doing anything. If you break this, then definitely the lens will need to be replaced. After that, try to get the lens barrels to come out from the back. These are a little stronger, and not as fragile as the shutter assembly. If nothing is broken, it all goes together like a little jigsaw puzzle...or rubik's cube...or something. Then, you should be able to remove the big gear from the back (slide it out), and test movement of the lens barrel.
    | Canon 5D, XTi, EOS-3 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 85mm f1.8 USM | Canon 50mm f1.4 USM | Canon 28mm f1.8 USM | Canon 580EX II | Elinchrom Skyports | Vivitar 283 + 285 flashes...Alien Bees...etc. | Mamiya M645 1000s | Canonet Junior, Bell & Howell Dial-35 + too much other gear...

Quote Originally Posted by jayfixit View Post
    Yep, just did one yesterday. Everything is done from the back. Try to carefully get the shutter assembly out, which has the 3 plastic prongs which rides inside the lens, before doing anything. If you break this, then definitely the lens will need to be replaced. After that, try to get the lens barrels to come out from the back. These are a little stronger, and not as fragile as the shutter assembly. If nothing is broken, it all goes together like a little jigsaw puzzle...or rubik's cube...or something. Then, you should be able to remove the big gear from the back (slide it out), and test movement of the lens barrel.
    Sounds like a good plan.
    I have a bit of a problem, though. I don't really know my way around a camera (I basically just followed your tutorial, didn't know what the parts were even called!). I think I know what the shutter assembly is (judging on your description) - is it connected by a ribbon as well? I got the inner barrel to come out slightly (maybe around half a centimeter) - can it be separated at all? I can't get the innermost barrel to move at all. Can you only locate the big gear when all parts are taken apart? I would take a picture of it to show you, but seeing as my only camera is currently disassembled, I can't really describe it any better.

The lens barrel, and shutter assembly is all removed from this side:

You can remove the big drive gear shown here in the 9 o'clock position. Then, the lens assembly 'should' be free to move. If not, things are jammed, and you'll just need to work carefully to get everything to pop out the back here. Yes, the shutter assembly is the piece attached by the ribbon cable in the 6 o'clock position.

Good luck!

Oh, so that's the big drive gear, haha! It doesn't really freely move when it's removed. When the lens assembly is removed, the barrels move to an extent...it's most definitely jammed. I can pop out the shutter assembly. I was able to get my hands on another camera, so here's what I have:

In the first picture, the second barrel can only be moved out half a centimeter. I can't get the innermost barrel to move at all. The problem is in here...I just don't know how to fix it. I don't know where and what the pins are, either.

I appreciate all your help!

If you got the shutter assembly out, just discard the lens 'barrels', and replace them with the lens barrels complete from the other camera.

What was wrong with the other lens?

Oh, no, sorry for the misunderstanding, but I don't have a parts camera. I meant that I found a camera I could use to take a picture of what I am doing with my Exilim.

Is the shutter assembly the part that's resting on top in the first picture? If so,
    I believe that there is a problem with the barrels in it. I can only get the middle barrel to move (the one that's out a half a centimeter in the first picture), and the innermost barrel doesn't budge when the shutter assembly is out of it's container (I don't know what it's called). It only moves when it's in there.

I was just wondering if there was any way for the innermost lens barrel to come out at all, because if the problem lies with that barrel being jammed, I'd like to try and fix it, if possible. You mentioned something about pins?

Got it...yes, thats the shutter assembly on top. In the first picture, there is part of one of the inner barrels which appears to be sticking out a bit. This is out of position, and needs to snap back into place. The trick is to first get everything back into proper position...without breaking anything...and then it can be removed. Unfortunately, that doesn't always work. You won't see the 'pins' until its all apart, so I wouldn't worry about that.

If you'd like, send me a private message. I probably have a lens barrel assembly I can send you. Just don't break any of the 3 'prongs' off that shutter assembly.