Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Casio Lens Error

If you ever get this, and have not damaged your lens in anyway, don't worry. It can be fixed. Usually w/o any parts. Casio Exilim cameras don't really have good dust/debris protection, and the focus motor gears are easy to get jammed up. I buy these on eBay all the time, and fix them. They also get knocked out of alignment easily if dropped.

I can tell you how to do it, if you're so inclined, or fix it for you.
    | Canon 5D, XTi, EOS-3 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 85mm f1.8 USM | Canon 50mm f1.4 USM | Canon 28mm f1.8 USM | Canon 580EX II | Elinchrom Skyports | Vivitar 283 + 285 flashes...Alien Bees...etc. | Mamiya M645 1000s | Canonet Junior, Bell & Howell Dial-35 + too much other gear...

Josiah Guest
    I need mine repaired, would you mind getting back to me asap, gotta do it before the owner finds out.

Casio?

Quote Originally Posted by jayfixit View Post
    If you ever get this, and have not damaged your lens in anyway, don't worry. It can be fixed. Usually w/o any parts. Casio Exilim cameras don't really have good dust/debris protection, and the focus motor gears are easy to get jammed up. I buy these on eBay all the time, and fix them. They also get knocked out of alignment easily if dropped.

I am thinking about buying a Casio camera. Would you recommend this brand or should I go with the Canon brand

I personally have an Exilim EX-Z70, and have not had any issues with it. I like it because it really is one of the smallest (thinnest) cameras out there. With any pocketable camera, there is risk of hitting the power button while in your pocket. The best way to avoid this is get one where the lens doesn't zoom outward, rather everything is internal. I'd say just find a camera you like that has the features you like, and get it. I haven't worked on enough newer Canon cameras to say one way or another. Just don't buy based on megapixels. Get one with a good lens. This website should help you with that decision.
    | Canon 5D, XTi, EOS-3 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 85mm f1.8 USM | Canon 50mm f1.4 USM | Canon 28mm f1.8 USM | Canon 580EX II | Elinchrom Skyports | Vivitar 283 + 285 flashes...Alien Bees...etc. | Mamiya M645 1000s | Canonet Junior, Bell & Howell Dial-35 + too much other gear...

My Shortlist of Cameras

Get one with a good lens. This website should help you with that decision.
    On my list I have the following ultra compacts and compacts and they are ranked in the order of my preference. Regarding megapixels, I am looking at a camera with > or = 5 megapixels. Unforunately, there aren't many reviews for Casion Exilim V8.

2. Canon 870 IS
    1. Casio Exilim V8
    4. Pentax M20
    3. Kodak 885

Here's one reviewer's opinion of the V8:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...ex-v8_pg5.html

The full manual controls are a nice touch IMO. Then again, I bought a dSLR this summer, and just bought an old manual film rangefinder, so take that comment with a grain of salt. I like the internal lens too. My wife has an older Konica Minolta with an internal zoom lens. There have been many of times the camera was taken out of her pocket, and the power accidentally turned on. Since the lens doesn't extend, there was no damage.

From the same reviewer, here are two of the others:

Canon
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...non_sd870.html

Pentax
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...optio_m20.html

The Canon might take better pictures at some extreme conditions (such as low light), so you'll probably have to decide if you have more of a use for that, or for a slimmer camera which is why most people choose the Exilims.

Casio Recharging

Here's one reviewer's opinion of the V8:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...ex-v8_pg5.html

The full manual controls are a nice touch IMO. Then again, I bought a dSLR this summer, and just bought an old manual film rangefinder, so take that comment with a grain of salt. I like the internal lens too. My wife has an older Konica Minolta with an internal zoom lens. There have been many of times the camera was taken out of her pocket, and the power accidentally turned on. Since the lens doesn't extend, there was no damage.

From the same reviewer, here are two of the others:

Canon
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...non_sd870.html

Pentax
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...optio_m20.html

The Canon might take better pictures at some extreme conditions (such as low light), so you'll probably have to decide if you have more of a use for that, or for a slimmer camera which is why most people choose the Exilims.
    The review of the V8 is very tempting indeed.

Have you found recharging the camera , downloading the data to be a bit problem with your Casio camera?

glyng Guest

PLEASE tell me how to fix Casio Lens Erro

PLEASE tell me how to fix this lens error. My wifes camera developed this fault JUST outside the 12 month guarantee period!!

Thanks

Glyn

If the lens does not extend/retract properly, then most likely, something is stuck in the zoom gears. If it does extend, and you hear a high pitched buzzing type noise, then this is the focus motor, and the gears are out of alignment, or there is debris in there.

The fix requires removal of the lens, and checking, cleaning, and making sure the gears are ok. Whatever you do, don't pull, pry, or tug at the lens. This won't help.

You can send me an e-mail if you'd like some info specific to your camera. Just google my username, and you'll find my website.

Also, what model Exilim do you have?

If the lens does not extend/retract properly, then most likely, something is stuck in the zoom gears. If it does extend, and you hear a high pitched buzzing type noise, then this is the focus motor, and the gears are out of alignment, or there is debris in there.

The fix requires removal of the lens, and checking, cleaning, and making sure the gears are ok. Whatever you do, don't pull, pry, or tug at the lens. This won't help.

You can send me an e-mail if you'd like some info specific to your camera. Just google my username, and you'll find my website.

Also, what model Exilim do you have?
    Hi Jayfixit, I seem to be having this focus motor problem with my Exilim EX-Z1000. Can you give me some info on how to fix it please?
    Thanks.
    Amy