Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Red face Aw, try as I might ...

Aw, try as I might, I just cannot get TAMRON to open up about the anticipated SP AF70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD Aspherical (IF) lens,

Name:  00157_tamron_70-200mm_lens.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  41.5 KB

scheduled for a Fall 2007 release. The best I can weasel out of 'em is to check back in August.

The weird part is this particular lens has been "in the works" for well over two years, now. It was supposed to be announced in August of last year, at Photokina ... and wound up getting announced in March of this year, at the PMA, along with the AF28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD VC lens.

You have to ask: What's with these lens companies? I know there is probably a minimum release level they have to meet before the floodgates open ... but I'm more than willing to take a chance with a "sample." Bring it on, I say!

I really do hate having to go the whole summer without this range on my SONY A100. Yes, I still have a Ozunon AF70-210mm f/4.5, but let's face it, you just don't get the same low-light response that you would with a crisp f/2.8. I mean 1-1/3 stops is a lot of light to surrender. In a way, I kind of feel like those guys who dropped $600 on a Canon EF70-200m f/4L USM w/o IS. You just want to take it back ... realizing that w/o IS and that wonderful f/2.8 bokeh ... why bother?

Happily though, the SONY does have IS in the body ... so it's like ... no problem, just use a flash! Still, I would have much rather had the f/2.8 in May, than in September. I think these guys should seriously rethink their release dates ... for Dads and Grads.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-04-2007 at 12:05 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi