Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

AF-S prime lenses in the works?

Does anyone know if AF-S prime lenses are in the works?

On the one hand, they make sense given the lack of an auto focus motor in the D40/D40x. On the other hand, it is my understanding Nikon expects most D40 users to shoot with their kit lens and never upgrade.

The impetus for the question?

I just read Phil G's review of the Canon 85mm f/1.8.

http://photo.net/equipment/canon/85-1.8

After doing so, I noticed that Canon makes primes roughly comparable in price to the Nikon primes (now idea how the image quality compares) that are USM (Canon's equivalent of AF-S.)
    ________
    CLEAR TRICHOMES
    Last edited by Mr. Magoo; 05-02-2011 at 04:12 PM.

I know the 105mm macro VR has an AF-S motor. However, the price of a 105mm rivals that of the 18-200VR, which is a bit more versitile.
    Small Town Newspaper Oaf

East Coast Coorespondant for CRAWL Magazine!!??

There is a lot of speculation about it on DP review in the Nikon Lens forum. They are guessing/hoping that it will be a 50mm and/or 85 mm prime with AF-S, and they are also saying that some of the bigger zooms will get VR. There was supposed to be some big announcement last month, but nothing happened. I have put off making any purchases for now until I see if and when something comes out.
    Leah
    Nikon D90, because I have a nice Mom.
    Nikon 18-105 VR kit lens | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 |
    Nikon 35mm f/1.8G |
    Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 HSM |Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G VR
    SB 600 & SB400

Canon G9 "borrowed" from my step-father

flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    On the other hand, it is my understanding Nikon expects most D40 users to shoot with their kit lens and never upgrade.
    i think the statement should be more like there is little expectation that a d40 owner would be going for a prime portrait lens. there are plenty of AFS alternatives out there for the broader maket appeal of telephoto and kit style.

in saying that though, you are right that the d40 sales have been so huge that nikon would be mad to ignore the demands d40 users have. i think i recently saw sales figures which had nikon outselling canon somewhere and thats obviously off the back of the d40 cos they could never achieve strong sales over the xti with just the d80.

personally i dont see the 50mm getting an afs motor. its too small, compact and light which is half its appeal imo. maybe the 85mm, possibly but i doubt
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I doubt that Nikon really thought that D40 owners as a whole wouldn't upgrade - that's more likely to be the opinion of someone (or someones) in the company. Leaving out a focus motor is the logical step in making a smaller, cheaper DSLR. It seems that releasing the 55-200mm VR lens at about the same time as the D40x proves that Nikon is thinking of upgrades for the D40; as for a prime, who knows? I hope to see one - as for size, an AF-S prime wouldn't be as small as the current 50mm, that goes without saying. More like Sigma's 30mm EX HSM, which is a prime that autofocuses with the D40, although just a little wide for a real portrait lens. It's pretty much the only D40 prime option right now, but is a good one - the EX is Sigma's high-quality line.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

There were hoax photos on Flickr a couple of weeks ago of some new 50mm f1.2 VR lenses.
    We can only dream I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by fionndruinne View Post
    I doubt that Nikon really thought that D40 owners as a whole wouldn't upgrade -
    It really wouldn't surprise me if the D40 / D40x are the start of a trend for Nikon. I wouldn't be holding my breath about the D80 replacement having a focus motor.
    I know I'm going to get jumped on by all the Luddites but at some stage companies have to make decisions for the future that cause a line to be drawn under the past. How many people have purchased a PC recently with a floppy disc drive?
    Nikon have obviously decided to go the way of lens mounted rather than body mounted VR so it is reasonable to assume that all future lenses (zooms and telephotos at least) will have VR and focus motors inbuilt. If that's the case what is the benefit of the focus motor except for those people who have collections of existing lenses (who also by definition have one or several bodies to go with thos lenses)?

I agree. And guess what? A future of AF-S type lenses would mean... faster, quieter lens operation! It's not a step down, but up. For now it's expensive, but that'll change.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    It really wouldn't surprise me if the D40 / D40x are the start of a trend for Nikon. I wouldn't be holding my breath about the D80 replacement having a focus motor.
    I know I'm going to get jumped on by all the Luddites but at some stage companies have to make decisions for the future that cause a line to be drawn under the past. How many people have purchased a PC recently with a floppy disc drive?
    Nikon have obviously decided to go the way of lens mounted rather than body mounted VR so it is reasonable to assume that all future lenses (zooms and telephotos at least) will have VR and focus motors inbuilt. If that's the case what is the benefit of the focus motor except for those people who have collections of existing lenses (who also by definition have one or several bodies to go with thos lenses)?
    i highly doubt that the "d90" will not have a focus motor. why would someone pay that much money for a body without a focus motor ? that wouldn;t make sense at all imo.

the reason the d40 is a winner without the focus motor is becasue it makes it cheap while retaining excellent performance within its limitations.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by fionndruinne View Post
    I agree. And guess what? A future of AF-S type lenses would mean... faster, quieter lens operation! It's not a step down, but up. For now it's expensive, but that'll change.
    Edited: I also forgot to mention that a "real" AF-S would also offer the possibility of auto focus with full time manual override.

That's my main motivation for wanting AF-S primes. (Well that and the possibility that they will be more future proof given Nikon's current direction. For now, it doesn't matter as much since I have a D80 body.)

If new lenses really are in the pipe, I'll probably be conservative and buy/borrow what I need, not what I want :-)

The following are on my potential shopping list:

50 f/1.8
    50 f/1.4
    35 f/2
    ________
    Self-Injury Recovery Advice
    Last edited by Mr. Magoo; 05-02-2011 at 04:12 PM.