Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hony Guest

Change SD Card Folder Numbers

Has anyone tried to rename the folders on a SD card to another number? We are a three DMC-FZ family and since the folder number is the first three digits of the JPEG file name it would be great to start one user at 100, One at 400 and the next at 700. That way we can tell who the file belongs to. I can access the folder from my PC but don't want to make the change if it will cause a problem.

If you do not get it to work as you wish, look at a program called Downloader Pro......It puts my FZ10 photos in one folder named FZ10, the FZ20 photos in a FZ20 folder and the FZ30 photos in a folder named FLUZZI.
    Then it can sort the folders in those folders by date and then name the files any way you choose, by date , shutter count, normally.....add a prefix.
    You get the Idea......no duplicate names on the whole computer.

Gene
    http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
    http://imageevent.com/grc6
    one of these days I'll understand!

Panasonic FZ20 & FZ30,FZ18
    D50 -- D80

Sounds like your in a picture competition.
    Actually once they are on the PC you can rename them to anything you please but they cannot be viewed on the camera anymore. Just remember not to change the JPEG suffix.
    I rename photos when I modify them and always keep the originals.

Gene's program sounds interesting I will have to check it out!
    Minolta X370, 35mm, 50mm; Vivitar 28-80 zoom; Auto Spira-Tel 200mm, 300mm; JC Penney 80-200 zoom;12mm, 20mm, 36mm extension tubes, 2X & 3X teleconverters
    Sony Mavica FD-83
    FZ-20; 62mm Pemaraal Adapter; TCON-17; Hoya SHMC UV; Kenko Circular Polarizar; Tiffen ND 6, Sky 1-A
    Vivitar 2800-D flash; Spiratone Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Hony View Post
    Has anyone tried to rename the folders on a SD card to another number? We are a three DMC-FZ family and since the folder number is the first three digits of the JPEG file name it would be great to start one user at 100, One at 400 and the next at 700.
    No problem. Study the manual - there is a setting in the menus to start numbering following the highest folder number found on the SD card. I think it's called 'No. Renum' but please verify this before making a mess!

Use the pc to make a 400_PANA folder on an SD card, put that in Camera #2 and take a dummy picture after invoking the magic menu setting, and now that camera will now start all subsequent pictures at P4000002.

Put the card back in the pc, erase the photo and rename the folder to 700_PANA, and use that card in camera #3 along with the menu setting to force it to start at P70000002. Don't ever use this card again in the first two cameras, so long as it still has the 700_PANA folder on it.

Don't mix up the SD cards dedicated to each camera!!!

Please - Copy all your photos off the SD cards and study the manual carefully before attempting this. I take no responsibility for helping you out if this has unexpected results.