Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: TV/AV settings

TV/AV settings

When I use these modes on my S3, the setting changes according to the light conditions. A friend of mine told me that when you set the speed in the TV mode or the aperture in the AV mode, the settings shouldn't change but he said maybe that's how this camera works. Is it working the way it should?

Manual mode will allow you to set both aperture and shutter speed. If you use either separately then the one not set is automatic.
    Canon S3
    Hoya HMC UV
    Hoya HMC Circular Polarizer

If I'm in the TV mode and set the shutter speed, when I press the shutter button half way down the shutter speed may change according to the light conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by mlum View Post
    If I'm in the TV mode and set the shutter speed, when I press the shutter button half way down the shutter speed may change according to the light conditions?
    No, the aperture may change according to light conditions. In AV mode, you set the aperture, and the shutter speed will change. I personally almost always use aperture priority or full manual for my shots.
    Nikon D80 | SIGMA 18-50 f/2.8 EX Macro

I've had good luck with TV (shutter speed). When takin pics at night or inside a club you might want to force a speed that lets enough light in but keeps people from being blurry. The aperture is chosen but doesn't affect the pics dramatically and is often the same.

I've had bad luck with AV. I would just go straight to manual mode.

Quote Originally Posted by mlum View Post
    So, you mean that even if you chose Tv and set your desired shutter speed, it still changes when you press the shutter?

Please check if you have the "Safety Shift" function turned on. If so, it could be that you have selected a Tv value that the camera thinks is too extreme. With the Safety Shift ON, I think it will try to override your own settings.
    Canon PS G9, PS G7, PS S3IS
    LENS: DCR-6600PRO, DCR-250, DCR-2020PRO, TC-DC58B, TC-DC58C, 500D macro 58
    FILTR: Canon UV 58mm, Raynox PL 52mm, Canon CPL 52mm, Hakuba S-Wide CPL 58mm
    FLASH: Canon 430EX, Canon OC-E3 cord, Sto-fen omni, Panasonic PE-28S

My flickr