Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recovering Photos from Memory Card Error

Hi,

While on vacation I filled up the memory card and got a Memory Card Error (and No Image) meaning all my pictures were wiped out. I'm devastated by this and will be until I get my pictures back. Iíve heard of programs that can be used to recover files while a data recovery service I found charges average $400 for each card. Iíve tried CardRecovery and ZeroAssumptionRecovery programs to no avail. Iím willing to pay for the program I need and would be willing to pay maybe $150 for each card (I have 2).

Can anyone recommend a program that has worked for them or a reasonably priced service?

Thanks for any help

Ah dang. Sorry to hear about your issue. I personally have no experience with data recovery from flash drives =( Have you tried googling some? I did and it looks like most of them give you a free trial or demo. Maybe someone else here have more experience than I. Either way, I wish you the best of luck.
    Nikon D80 + TAmROn 17-50mm f/2.8
    - Sandisk 2GB Extreme III SD Card
    - Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home

- had Canon PowerShot S3 IS

For some of my shots:http://flickr.com/photos/truflip/

Yeah, I've googled and I have a long list of programs I'm trying. I'm just hoping someone could suggest one that works because none of them are for me. They all show no files to even find.

Flash memory is, to say the least, hard to recover if corrupt. A hard drive, there is something physically written on the drive. Flash, ones and zeros are stored with the idea that the ones and zeros won't change unless they are told to. On the rare occasion they do something they aren't told to, it can end up impossible to recover in many cases. If the pictures are sincerely valuable to you, getting a professional service with a results or refund guarantee is likely your best option.
    I have a camera. It takes pictures.

Exactly what kind of card is it? What's the name and brand as well?

Armed with thay info I'll try to find something for ya as I'm sure the other nice folks on this forum will too. Here's a link with some programs.

http://www.ultimateslr.com/memory-card-recovery.php
    Last edited by lantern; 05-27-2007 at 11:37 PM.

I also did a hunt of file recovery software before when I accidentally deleted some files. The best one I found that worked was File Scavenger 3 (you can google this).
    So after reading your post, I placed some picts into my 128MB card then deleted them. Then I used File Scavenger and poof! the picts were still there. The trial version only allows partial recovery but it can detect all recoverable files. Might be worth a try.
    Although I must also say that if those picts are really important, you are better off with the pro than end up losing everything after many unsuccessful attempts.

EDIT:
    OK I tried to reformat my SD card and tried File Scavenger. They have the "Long Search" that actually detected some files (not sure if all). The original filenames were gone and renamed as "UnknownXXX" but at least it preserved the JPG and MP3 extensions that were once inside my SD.

I hope this helps. Good luck
    Last edited by jonalta; 05-28-2007 at 02:08 AM.
    Canon PS G9, PS G7, PS S3IS
    LENS: DCR-6600PRO, DCR-250, DCR-2020PRO, TC-DC58B, TC-DC58C, 500D macro 58
    FILTR: Canon UV 58mm, Raynox PL 52mm, Canon CPL 52mm, Hakuba S-Wide CPL 58mm
    FLASH: Canon 430EX, Canon OC-E3 cord, Sto-fen omni, Panasonic PE-28S

My flickr

Thank you all.

My cards are SD Kingston 2GB. From use of these programs so far it seems fairly easy to recover files Iíve deleted myself but thatís not my problem. The cards I need to recover from gave me that Memory Card Error message once they became full and then when I plugged in to try and download I got the No Image message.

I'm trying to many different programs and I seem to have the same results using each, which is that the program never even sees any files to recover. This doesn't bode well for me, I think. Each program has a different interface but as an example, one program has 5 steps to follow. Step 1 would be choosing the drive and folder where you want the files saved and then Step 2 would be the first recovery step but the Proceed button is not highlighted because it has to see files before you can proceed and the program sees nothing. Thatís just an example of what Iím finding.

Iím definitely open to using a pro service (though I cannot spend $800 for two 2GB card recoveries). I asked one service if my attempts to recover data using online programs would make it more difficult for a pro service to recover data but I could never get them to answer the question. Does anyone know if thatís a danger?

Pardon the drama queen moment but I am so upset about this that I will feel incomplete until I get them back. This was our first trip anywhere much less going overseas.

Thanks again for all your help

susiesol Guest
    Hiya!
    Did you get your photos back from ur memory card? The same thing has happened to me. It was my uncles wedding today and i took all the pics. Then my camera displayed 'memory card error', so I couldn't use it! So I came home and put the SD card into the computer and it won't read it, infact it makes my computer freeze/crash! Like you I used card recovery which didn't detct anything! Mine is a Kingston SD card 2GB as well. Did u get yours fixed? And if so, how????

Recently got the same error on a 2GB Sandisk SD card. Put the card in my ImageMate card reader, used RecuePro Plus on the card and it recovered all the files...
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

jim_joh Guest
    I have used smart recovery many times & it does a great job for me and also it is freeware Just google it jim_joh