Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D: Beginning review

So my f/2.8 AF-D lense finally arrived. Its big and heavy. I haven't really used it yet but I can comment on its focus ability. This lense focuses about as fast as a 50mm f/1.8D lense. For those of you out there who own a 50mm, you now know how this big lense focuses.

It is A LOT slower than my 18-200VR lense in terms of focus ability. Not to mention heavier.

I plan on taking it tomorrow to the zoo and then utilize it on a photo shoot this weekend. But so far, I am fairly certain I am going to send this thing back. I am not impressed with it. Its just too big and focuses too slow. While the 2.8 apeture is welcomed I feel like that might be a feature that won't be used a lot. I am beginning to think that VR is probably a lot more useful.

Small Town Newspaper Oaf

East Coast Coorespondant for CRAWL Magazine!!??

LR - that's not what my 80-200 2.8 D looks like.

The focus limit on mine is a slide switch, not a ring. Is that lens used? That might explain the difference.
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8
    Nikkor 85mm 1.8
    Tokina 12-24
    Nikkor 18-55
    Sigma 18-50 2.8
    Sigma 18-200
    Nikkor 80-200 f2.8
    2 Nikon SB-800s

Oh, this lense is used and old. Its the old school push-pull style. I bought it because I got a deal.

I will continue to play with it.
    Small Town Newspaper Oaf

Quote Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
    .... This lense focuses about as fast as a 50mm f/1.8D lense....

....I am not impressed with it. Its just too big and focuses too slow.
    I am a little confused, maybe I am missing something. My 50mm 1.8D focuses VERY fast. Above you mention that the 80-200 you have focuses AS FAST as your prime, I find this strange. Then later you say the 80-200 focuses too slow
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

i agree with J...the 50mm focusses very fast indeed. certianly my fastest AF lens.

regarding the 80-200, i have read that it focusses fast enuf so this is a bit strange. as i said in your other thread, the afs i tried was extremely fast.

btw: the VR is MUCH bigger and heavier so keep that in mind. i think it may be like 30% heavier from memory. i also believe that the afs is also bigger and heavier. i think anyone that gets hold of a 2.8 telephoto is a little surprised at the weight of these things.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I would expect it to focus a bit slower than the 50mm f1.8. After all the same in camera motor has to move a bigger focus element (I would presume).

If a person starts out with AF-s lenses, then all non-AF-s lenses seem slow, perhaps roughly equally so. It's a matter of perception.

Also, different versions of the 80-200 had different focusing speeds. I don't think they were considered slow when they came out, it's just that current technology makes us want so much more.

Compared to my 18-200VR, it focuses slow. The AF-S system has spoiled me .

But it just gives everyone else out there a general idea of the focus of the old school AF-D.

I played with it a little more. I attempted some bird photography, but I suck at that in the first place so that wasn't fair to this old lense. I took some other photos (of a cat, no less) and I'll look at them later tonight. See how they stack up.
    Small Town Newspaper Oaf

That's interesting to hear the results regarding that lens, I've used the same lens before because my cousin has that one and it didn't seem that slow to focus. Btw the lens you have isn't an AF-D, it's the non-D version before the next AF-D model came in. I think one thing that makes people think a lens focuses slower is the noise it makes. I thought that too, until i tested my 50 f/1.8 against my 18-70 AFS lens, the 50 focused quicker but noisier.

I have to agree that the 50mm f/1.8 does not feel slow to me, and actually, I think in certain situations it is faster than my 18-200mm VR lens. - The situations where it is faster is low-light. The 18-200mm aperture just cannot open up enough to be as fast in those situations. When focusing, the camera uses wide open aperture, and stops down to your setting just prior to shutter release (and when you press your DOF preview button)

Now, that being said, the 80-200mm f/2.8 has both disadvantages, the slightly smaller aperture, and the wider focal range to deal with, so it wouldn't be fair to expect it to be as fast as a prime @ 1.8.

Back to comparing with the 18-200mm - in low light the AF-s is not going to make up the full difference that the wider aperture will. If you are using an SB-600 or SB-800 though, the 18-200mm will focus much faster in low light. Maybe even faster than the 80-200mm - just some variables to think about.

But, as I have said before, when I tested out a 80-200mm a few months ago, it impressed me with its focus speed in low light. Maybe because I had read similar reviews that it was slower to focus than the 70-200mm VR (which I am sure are true).
    Nikon D70s
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8D (If you don't have it you need it)
    Nikkor 18-200mm VR II
    SB-600
    Bogen/Manfrotto Tripods/Heads
    NAS (D300, Nikkor 80-200mm (or 70-200mm)f/2.8, Tamron 90mm Macro)