Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thumbs up TZ1 Settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
    I knew you'd have some shots to show off the TZ1 wow they are brilliant. I wasn't trying to sell the TZ1 short I bought it on a budget & have been very impressed. No real regrets at all just a lot of shots I would have missed not taking the FZ20 along on trips. TZ goes most places. I've got to ask though what settings, distances & lighting conditions were those TZ1 rose shots you posted.
    Hey Phil, the TZ1 is an automatic camera! Not much to set. I did choose "Macro" mode, that's a "setting." Generally, "Boggs Standard" is the theme of the day? The camera's "Pict Adj" was set in "Natural" mode (though I now use "Standard" for the TZ3).

For the first shot, here's the EXIF data.

And the EXIF data for the second shot.

You might note from the EXIF data that I used exposure bias (-1.33) for the first shot, no bias for the second one. I often found that no bias was a good setting, as the camera endeavors to balance the scene pretty well between highlight clipping and dark areas. My first rose might have more resembled the one I took with the TZ3 if I hadn't cranked in so much negative bias.

Incidentally, I sold my TZ1 to a young couple about to have their first baby. My TZ1 is now acting as my "eyes," showing the daily growth and cute photos of the baby and his family, just got an e-mail late last night with a raft of great photos. It's good at humans, too!
    Let a be your umbrella!

Talking But I thought auto meant it took the shot for you!

Ok point taken John. Thanks for the info. Interesting I've tended to use Natural & a bit of -ve exposure bias as well.
    Thanks again.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Great examples here everyone!
    My Red problem is more or less resolved - just a matter of finding the right settings for the right light I guess
    Same goes for pinks and Purples ~
    Here's a Foxglove in the corner of our garden - despite the overcast, ready to rain, day - I still used Sunshine WB and +1Blue... here these are just resized and spliced together.
    Both pics were -1 ev which is more than I would previously have expected was needed
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Just as a footnote to this - after some years of experimentation
    I find mostly my best way of getting accuracy of colour has been to use the Kelvin
    scale adjusting as the light changes - of course a grey or white card is very good - but
    once to set it the only way to fine tune it is to set it again (or use slightly tinted white cards)
    The D80 was slightly enthusiastic when it came to reds, so far the D90 seems a little more balanced
    in that area.

Must say, I have had no issues with colour reproduction using my tamron 90mm on either my 450D or 7D, however the kit lenses I used to use with the 450D were terrible with colour transmission.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I always liked the way most Canon cams manage reds - although I have seen them
    over saturate it too.