Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Canon powershot S3 IS VS Olympus 550 UZ VS Sony H9

Hi there!
    I have my mind do buy new camera and my choices are Canon powershot S3 OLympus 550 UZ and Sony H9
    I am an amateur who loves Nature including macros of bugs lizards etc. and big nature Sceneries on the other hand I am a sporty man love skiing and shooting skiers and some other sports and on the other hand I am a Surgeon and I need macros with very good colors and very detailed to help me make my lectures with students.........
    It is pretty complicate I thing .......... So it is a hard question at all but I terribly need help .......
    I have some exact questions too:
    1. In your review in your site there is typed that olympus Macro Colors Sux at manual white balance is it the same in auto white balance / I mean in studio lights which are very similar to operating theater lights the colors are far from real ones/
    2. I have read somewhere that Olympus in wide angle pictures is lacking details of the picture. IS it true?
    3. What SONY H9-s Night shot really does?
    4. Which optical stabilization is best ?
    5. Where I can find pictures of same object same distance between 12X 15X and 18X
    6. Which of those tree cameras is less noisy /I know that this is mainly depends on the physical size of the sensor Is it true?/
    7. In which camera Colors are the best?
    8. What olympus's DUAL optical stabilization really means?
    9.If you were in my shoes which camera you will buy yourself?

I believe that there are too many questions and conditions but this is something important for me. So thank you in advance for your opinions.
    SEE YOU
    Sincerely IVO

P>S> I dont care about the video functions .........

S3? Have you looked into the new Canon S5?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0705/07050703canons5is.asp

Quote Originally Posted by FLiPMaRC View Post
    S3? Have you looked into the new Canon S5?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0705/07050703canons5is.asp
    I am not using outer flash so hotshoe is not needed. Better CCD and Better Processor not bad but depends on the price difference if it is more than 50 US I dont thing it is acceptable ....... Still no raw still 12 X still no Wide ....... it is almost same like S3 ....
    thanks for comment

Thumbs up Seems to me...

If RAW is important at all to you, you should be looking also at the Panasonic FZ8, or even the FZ50. I assume you excluded them from your shopping list for some reason, but for nature photography, they're both good cameras, and both can capture in RAW.
    Let a be your umbrella!

Depends on how much you want to spend.

If you don't want to spend as much and you want a proven camera, the S3 is a good camera.

If cost is not as much of a factor and you can wait a bit, I would get the H9. The H9 reviews here and dpreview should be out soon and Sony is in the process of releasing a firmware update (according to people in contact with them). Most people in the dpreview sony talk forum really like the H9 but there are some issues on compression and nr that people are hoping to get addressed in the firmware update. Check out the forum to see the good and bad on the H9 along with H9 pictures.

thanks for comments.
    I have excluded Panasonic because of the noise a friends of mine has FZ5 and same class canon and same class sony so we took the tree cameras and in lower lights noise of Panasonic is tons more than others.

H9 i truly nice photo but I don't have enough info for it waiting on review here I like the way it is typed ...

I 'll be glad to hear more comments and may be find some answers to some of my questions.

You can also consider the Fuji S6500FD, which is in the same class as the cameras you have mentioned and has excellent low light performance. Check out the review here:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...6000fd-review/
    Samsung NX10+30mm+18-55mm OIS, Fuji S6500FD