Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Macro filter set vs. a Lens

First off, I love macro photography and I've been doing a lot of it since I got my new S3.

I'd like to have more options when shooting macro, so I've been trying to decide which way to go; a filter set (Hoya Macro Set (+1,+2,+4)) or a single lens like the Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Filter.

Does anyone have any information about what differences there are between these two options?
    Canon Powershot S3 IS
    Lensmate 52mm adapter and Hoya UV filter, Quantaray CPL, Raynox DCR-1540PRO and Raynox DCR-250

Hey.. double check but i believe that in addition to being stackable for adjustable diopter strength, the hoya set is cheaper than say the DCR 250.

There is only one drawback in my opinon to the hoya set. on the 250, when at full zoom the DOF is paper thin- but everything not in the focus range is blurry as you would expect from the lens. But the Hoya set when you stack above 4, having the lenses stacked creates a 'smudging' effect. The blur doesn't liook natrual it looks like someone smudged the colors to make it blurry. This effect only gets stranger at +7, here's what i mean:

if you look at the right side of the picture (the wasp's left siide) you can see a smear of light color from the pollen. this was taken at +7. and whereas the detail is incredible, some people may not appreciate the smudging. I personally like it. :X

Hope that helps!

~Cory
    Canon 50D; 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F4L IS, 50 F1.8, BG-E2n

Downtrodden's Flickr - Deviant Art: LAME

Quote Originally Posted by downtrodden
    Hope that helps!
    It does.

Do you know if the DOF is thinner for the Hoya vs. the Raynox?

I'm not exactly sure that I like the blur/smudge, even though the wasp's head is awesome!

About how far away from the wasp were you?
    Canon Powershot S3 IS
    Lensmate 52mm adapter and Hoya UV filter, Quantaray CPL, Raynox DCR-1540PRO and Raynox DCR-250

I was just about four or five inches away..

Ok.. i fibbed...

the LENS was about that far away.. i was as far away as my arms would allow me to be and still work the camera!

Anywho, as for the DOF of the DCR, i do not own one yet... some other member will have to post a full zoom, uncropped image so you can compare.

Also, if you're bored, browse back through the S3 pix thread, start at the end, someone recently posted a DCR250 shot of a fly that was breathtaking- i'd say that would be a good shot for you to use to compare!

~Cory

Btw, i also noticed you can see more of the smudging on the leg, left side.

and the picture i posted is uncropped, unedited. uploaded directly to flickr and then posted in large format here.

To me, this looks like chromatic aberration (similar to when you use too powerful of a teleconverter). I use B+W closeup lenses and I see the same thing when my diopters add up to 7 or larger (I've heard similar complains across other brands as well).
    Canon A640
    Canon TC-DC58N 1.75X Teleconvertor
    DIY Ring Flash
    B+W Circular Polarizer, Skylight, and Redhancer filters
    B+W Closeup +5, +4, +2, +1 diopters
    B+W Neutral Grey Density 0.9 and 0.6 filters
    M-Rock Glacier Bay camera bag
    Visit my Flickr site

dcr-250

each line on the ruler is 1/64 of inch apart. i shot it as parallel (not perpendicular!) to the ruler as possible. dcr-250 at full zoom, high ISO.
    Name:  thin DOF.JPG
Views: 406
Size:  52.7 KB

The dcr-250 on full zoom will produce this bokeh on a 0.7mm mechanical pencil lead.

Got Lead
    Name:  got lead.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  27.0 KB
    An S3 IS and D80 Shooter
    Visit my photo gallery