Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

stupid, stupid, stupid

that pretty much sums it up. Here is what happened...

On May 5, I was taking some pictures at a friend's wedding and reception dinner (exercising my soon to be 6 month old camera). This was the first time using the new SLR at a church and reception hall. Oh boy are these places dark. How do you guys shoot these? Prime at 1.8 or anti-shake at 2.8? I was early to both places so I tried a bunch of test pictures and ended up concluding the only way I could go "flashless" was to shoot ISO1600 at f/2.8 on my Tamron 17-50. Let me tell you - I've gained new appreciation for anti-shake...too bad I can't afford Canon's offerings.

Sometime during the reception at Terrace on the Park, I had to pee. I got up and walked past some windows and saw the sun setting over Manhattan. I rushed back to my table, grabbed the camera and dashed back to the window to take the shot. "Yeah, through the window, not ideal, but better than nothing I thought...the focus will be essentially infinity so the pollen particles stuck on the window won't really affect anything". How stupid that was the only thought running through my mind. I take the shot, put the camera back and go do my "business".

When I get home I see the shot and think f**k!!! I took the shot at ISO 1600. I was worried about the window?! How about the noise at 1600? Note to brain: you're supposed to stop me from doing stupid things. Anyway, I've cropped the shot to frame it as a panorama. Its attached at a reduced size, so the noise might not be immediately obvious.

In any case, I felt bad enough about it that I made an effort to take some pictures with less noise this past weekend - I made sure to have it locked at ISO100 for these. I went out on Saturday to Throgs Neck Bridge and then to Whitestone Bridge on Sunday. Kind of a personal redemption thing. Kind of disappointed that Whitestone Bridge didn't have its suspension cables lit on Sunday. Oh well.

I've attached all three - critiques welcome. Advice on shooting in dark Manhattan churches is welcome. Confirmation that I am stupid - well, not entirely welcome, but probably appropriate.

Picture 1, Sunset over Manhattan, taken with Canon 30D, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Picture 2, Throgs Neck Bridge, taken with Canon 30D, Canon 70-200 f/4L
    Picture 3, Whitestone Bridge, taken with Canon 30D, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Last edited by longisland.km; 05-14-2007 at 09:00 PM.

lol you crack me up! No, you're not stupid I did much the same thing this weekend. I was trying to take pictures of wild horses after sundown, they were barely visible against the sky, and it wasn't until *later* that I thought of upping my ISO! http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...530#post222530

I really like your 2nd pic. The colored reflections in the water really make it for me.

P.S. You do have noise-reducing software, right?
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Red face Days like this ...

ISO is one of those things that is easily overlooked.

Let's face it, in film cameras, you couldn't even change it if you wanted to, without having to carefully rewind the film, from whatever point you had gotten to on the roll, remove it and drop in a completely new roll with the desired ISO (yeah, again, the entire roll )

So, making the jump to digital and having interchangeable ISO in your mind ... well, it just ain't natural! LOL

Personally, I've found that it really isn't until you really begin to review your EXIF data for each shot that you become aware of just how dramatic it can affect it can have. I tend to shy away from 1600 because of the "wash out" that tends to take place with the colors. My default setting for ISO is 400 and usually stays there, unless I go outside with the 70-200 f/2.8 ... then I drop it to ISO 100 as routine, to allow full saturation of the sensor, at almost any setting.

Again, it's a dance with whatever lens you have mounted on your rig. I guess a "best practice" would be to quickly review ALL your settings after you turn on ol' Betsy and BEFORE you pull that shutter-release. It still boils down to the basics. Variable ISO is something new ... and when you play with it ... you still should put your toys away (return to default setting).

At least with digital, you can immediately tell whether or not you "got sumptin'" after each shot. With film ... that usually happened after 20 minutes of a developing bath, after you jumped into the dark room.

Can you imagine, in earlier days, shooting nearly a whole roll based on the thinking you had ISO 200 film in the camera ... and because it's been three months since you took your camera out of the case ... you open the back of it to find out it's a roll of 1600? Yikes!
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Very nice shots nevertheless.....I am in the process of making a habit to check all of my settings each time I pick up my camera (WB, ISO, etc.) as I have done this myself more than once!!
    Michael B.
    Canon 5D2, 550D, Sony NEX 5N, Sigma 15mm fish, 24L mkI, 35L, 40mm f/2.8, 50 1.8 II, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro, 60mm macro, 100mm f/2, 70-200 f/4, 200 f/2.8 mk I, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, 430EX. Growing list of MF lenses!

they're all awesome shots regardless of ISO. the last two are really great.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

One can't learn without making mistakes, at least I can't.
    Christian Wright; Dip Phot
    EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | EOS-1V HS
    L: 14/2.8 II | 24/1.4 II | 35/1.4 | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 II | 135/2 | 180/3.5 Macro | 200/2.8 II | 400/2.8 IS | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-105/4 IS | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS
    580EX II | EF 12 II | EF 25 II

lol i used to do that shit all the time. i have it on auto iso now. if i want more control i just go manual with iso but i screwed FAR too many shots doing the same thing.

very nice pics. i like the middle one the best. lotsa noise in the last one.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Since longisland.km thinks he's stupid, I'm even more stupid. I'm new to this camera stuff and can some tell this stupid guy what is ISO?

Quote Originally Posted by Old-Man View Post
    Since longisland.km thinks he's stupid, I'm even more stupid. I'm new to this camera stuff and can some tell this stupid guy what is ISO?
    You remember the sensitivity of film? DIN ASA... the same as ISO sensitivity.
    ISO 50, ISO 100, ISO 200, ISO 400 film... the doubling of the sensitivity brings the exposure time to half.

With film higher ISO/ASA is reached by a less fine film grain.
    On digital camera sensors this is reached by amplifying the sensor signals.
    A sensor needs a certain amount of time to record light values sort of accurately. If you cut down that time, and amplify the signal to reach an acceptable level, you will get more and more errors. This is seen as noise.

So... low ISO means less noise, more accurate images. Higher ISO means more noise, less accurate colours.
    Last edited by coldrain; 05-16-2007 at 08:31 AM.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

hi all,

thanks for the kind words...hopefully I'll remember to check the iso from now on before I shoot.