Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Don, I just realized something when I checked out this particular lens - the Minolta 50mm f1.7's aperture was not connected. This got disconnected after I cleaned it. After fixing it, it turns out the aperture will not close again if opened to the widest. It might need a new spring. This is such a shame because it is a very nice lens.

The problem was of course over-exposure. The only way to get around it is to not use it or to shoot full manual. So I laugh a bit at how one thing led to your exercises/tips. I thought I knew quite a lot but I still have quite a bit to learn about exposure.

Will try your exercises and will hopefully post some results.

Lovin' the alpha...
    Best of Both worlds:
    dSLR: Sony a100 dSLR w/ kit lens (18-70mm)
    Minolta Lens Collection: 28-80mm xi, 70-210mm
    Point and Shoot: Sony DSC-T11

My photo portfolio

My Flickr

Unhappy Spring has sprung!

I know what you mean about return springs going bad. I recently purchased a pair of used TAMRON Adaptall lenses and both have issues with aperture return springs. The 200mm lens has a spring that may be too tight and will not allow the aperture to close all the way down, it (heh-heh) stops around f/11 and just sits there. The 135mm may not have its spring missing entirely as I can't get it to go from f/32 -> f/22 without having to go up to f/16 and then back down to f/22. That's simply not proper operation and I will not tolerate it.

Anyway, I turned both in for evaluation at the local depot level repair site and am having them gone over for evaluation and repair. I want my equipment to work exactly as designed. I really don't appreciate it having a will of its own!

Both have low light performance and is one of the main reasons I sprung (pun intended) for them. The 200mm is a f/3.5 and the 135mm is a f/2.5. I simply don't have anything for the SONY that can get to that aperture. My closest lenses are a Ozunon AF70-210mm f/4.5 and a TAMRON AF70-300 f/4-5.6 LD, which are good outdoors ... but really need a flash inside. The TAMRON AF18-250 f/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD can do the job with the flash, also.

Also, because they have an Adaptall mount on it and is also manual aperture and manual focus, it can be used for almost any camera mount, if you have the proper adapter. Kind of stretches the use of your lensing a little more, too ... if you are running short of funds.

Anyway, I digress, big time ... I sincerely urge you to get your 50mm f/1.7 repaired. It is a dynamite lens and will offer incredible low light performance, beyond any zoom.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-12-2007 at 09:54 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Sony a100 Bokeh!

Having the lens stuck at f1.7 isn't that bad. I just need to set the camera to A-priority @1.7.

Check it out:
    Best of Both worlds:

My photo portfolio

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by cgl88 View Post
    Having the lens stuck at f1.7 isn't that bad. I just need to set the camera to A-priority @1.7.
    Get the lens repaired though, if you can. It is a very nice lens.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Thumbs down Costs of repair

Okay ... the two lenses that I spoke about in the above post are being serviced at a cost that totals to $180 for their repair and gets them back to full, clean operation. It was roughly $90 each. Replacing them would probably be about the same.

The replacement cost of your broken f/1.7 is around $30-$50 on ebay, which I quickly urge you to do, so you do not miss any photographic opportunities. Pitch the broken one, unless you want to save it for parts. The standard $90 cost of the repair bill certain isn't a reasonable idea for your particular lens, especially since you could replace it with such little fuss.

There are a ton of these lenses out there. I suspect almost as many lenses as there are camera bodies to mount them on. That's just not so with the two I turned in for repair/adjustment. Your lens was the "standard" Minolta lens sold, so it has a lot of work behind it. A 100% production line, to be sure.

So ... off to ebay with you ...

Heck, get two!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-18-2007 at 07:42 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Okay ... the two lenses that I spoke about in the above post are being serviced at a cost that totals to $180 for their repair and gets them back to full, clean operation. It was roughly $90 each. Replacing them would probably be about the same.

The replacement cost of your broken f/1.7 is around $30-$50 on ebay, which I quickly urge you to do, so you do not miss any photographic opportunities. Pitch the broken one, unless you want to save it for parts. The standard $90 cost of the repair bill certain isn't a reasonable idea for your particular lens, especially since you could replace it with such little fuss.

There are a ton of these lenses out there. I suspect almost as many lenses as there are camera bodies to mount them on. That's just not so with the two I turned in for repair/adjustment. Your lens was the "standard" Minolta lens sold, so it has a lot of work behind it. A 100% production line, to be sure.

So ... off to ebay with you ...

Heck, get two!
    Thanks Don. I need to reward myself with some hard work I've been doing lately, by getting that replacement lens! I have seen completed sales on ebay for about $125 (max) for the 50mm. I'll shop for them now. In the meantime, I'll use the current lens because I had intended to use f/1.7 on it all the time anyway.

Man I am really happy with the alpha. All the negative points about it, I can live with. The camera is all about the photographer and his lenses!
    Best of Both worlds:

My photo portfolio

My Flickr

Try cleaning the aperture again.

I say before you buy another, take an hour or two and clean the aperture again, like REALLY clean it. Use an ultrasonic cleaner or some mild detergent. Use Pete Ganzel's directions and clean it real well, because even a little oil can cause big problems. A couple of my 50's use to get stuck once wide open at 1.7, but operated freely from 2 to 22.

Try this: take the mounting ring off and operate the aperture spring mechanism independent of the aperture rod, and if it swings back and forth with snap, then the spring is probably fine and the blades just need some cleaning.

Let us know.
    grip: KM Maxxum 5D | Minolta 50mm f1.4 neck: Sony A200 | Minolta 70-210mm f4
    backup: Fuji s6000fd | pocket: Fuji F20SE
    sentimental: Sony DSC-S85
    wife: Canon s800IS | 9yo daughter: Canon s410

There is someone willing to sell it to me in my area for a good price. I've tried to clean the lens but did not get to the step of opening the aperture.

Is this a good deal?

what do i check for - How do I check that everything works? Check focus, aperture, continuous AF?
    Best of Both worlds:

My photo portfolio

My Flickr

Cool After the cleaning ...

I went over to the repair depot, yesterday, to retreive my two errant lenses. After inspection, they did a great job cleaning the years off the internals and tightening things up, but the aperture "return" still was not working correctly on the 200mm f/3.5 lens, so they took it back with a better understanding of the problem. The technician promised he'd have it working correctly and in short order. We'll see.

I am still pretty certain it is the "aperture return spring". Like anything, used enough ... it loses its tensile strength.

The tech also asked: "Why do you use these instead of the newer lenses?"

I said, ""Look at the widest aperture ... f/3.5! You can't get that kind of low light response, at that focal length, out of most sub-$600 lenses. (The Canon EF 200 f/2.8L USM is $659 on a good day and it's minimum focus distance is still 4.9') I got this lens for $100. Once it works correctly, it will offer some serious bokeh for 200mm shots and effectively get the very same shot ... for $500 less. I know it is manual focus, but with the number of fixed focal length images I do with this ... I think I still can get a razor-shot, when needed. Keep the USM on the zooms, where it is really appreciated. That is the true beauty of interchangeable lenses."

"I understand ..." he smiled and then returned to camera repair-land, where he came from.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-25-2007 at 09:50 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Red face Repair Update

I received "the call" ... from the repair depot. The Adaptall 200mm f/3.5 was finished and operating as expected. I quickly got over there and confirmed this.

Once again, I do not yet have a "bright" lens for the SONY, so this baby is it, until TAMRON releases the SP AF70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD in the Fall.

Moving on ...

flickr & Sdi