Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Upgrading from DSC-R1 to probably A100

Hello all,
    I have been using the DSC-R1 for the past 6 months and to date that has been my best purchase. The image quality is outstanding, but the auto focus is slow in low light, and I wanted to move onto a dSLR because most of my subjects are people/indoor lighting.

Is the Sony A100 a good upgrade or should I shoot for a D80? Thanks.

a 100

I got mine awhile back and it's great. I have a Minolta Maxxum 5xi from way back and the best part was not having to buy any new lenses. So far it's taken great pictures and is surprisingly easy to use with all the menus. In fact, the menus are easier to navigate than my old Mavica digital. The anti shake technology in the camera instead of the lenses is a big boon too. Jeff, Ohio

Absolutely

You just won't be dissapointed, au contraire mon ami!!! I will not be comparing it here with any other camera. What I can, and will tell you, is that the Alpha is your camera. Before I decided to jump into the dslr world, I handled almost all the cameras in the market, and when I tell you "handled" I mean reeeeeeally handled. I did my homework for almost 7 months and when I considered the cost-benefit-results relationship/ratio, the Alpha came as a true winner. I know the Canon-Nikon-Olympus world out there can be intimidating, especially when you find the preaching purists (purists,as I always say, are funny, amusing people) defending like zealots their brand of choice.

I am only interested in the results, and the more I compared, the more the Alpha was shining. But beware!!! I am not telling you to go and buy it. Try out not only the Alpha, but everything you can. Shoot a lot, compare a lot, and make your decision. As for me, I am soooooooo pleased.

Bear in mind the learning curve. I came from the point and shoot world and it took me about ten days before feeling at ease with it. Also if you decide to buy the Alpha, do not make the mistake many of us had: do not buy the kit w/18-70 mm, either buy only the body or upgrade the kit for a better lens. The 18-70mm is a very dull lens, to say the least.
    Ti eukolon? To allo hupotithestai

If you plan on getting another 18-70mm lens with a wider aperture (which means better pics indoor than the kit) then just get the body.

Also, grab a minolta 50mm f1.7 lens. you will love it for indoor shots.
    Best of Both worlds:
    dSLR: Sony a100 dSLR w/ kit lens (18-70mm)
    Minolta Lens Collection: 28-80mm xi, 70-210mm
    Point and Shoot: Sony DSC-T11

My photo portfolio

My Flickr

Lightbulb May I suggest ...

I suggest that you take the time to read through the SONY DSLR forum, here. Unlike most of the other Manufacturer's forums, it's all A100, so there should be no confusion about any of the discussions.

There is some decent lens comparisons, operational issues and things to beware of.

Good luck and good reading ... and enjoy that new A100, it is definitely a solid choice.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi