Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which Nikon DSLR will fit these lenses?

Hello, I'm new here. I have a Nikon 8008 SLR with two Nikkor lenses and a flash.

AF Nikkor 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 D
    AF Nikkor 75-300mm 1:45-5.6
    Nikon Speedlight SB-24 (flash)

I purchased this camera around 1990 and it still works GREAT! I love it but can't afford developing. I would like to go digital and keep my lenses and flash. Which camera body will allow this, if any? I'm afraid my lenses and flash may be too old to fit the new models.

I am new to the digital world of photography when it comes to DSLRs. I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 that has been to the shop twice already, factory defects and has broken once again for no reason. I am very disappointed with this camera and hesitate to go with Nikon again, but I am a huge fan of Nikon SLR and am hoping I just got a lemon.

Please tell me that the DSLRs are made better and I'm stepping up to better quality, should I purchase another Nikon. If there are no cameras that fit my lenses, I will not buy another point and shoot from Nikon, I will continue to use my SLR and go with a little, inexpensive digital from a diff. company. Ouch, that really hurt to say but I have had the worst experience with my Coolpix 5700.

Can someone give me some insight? I'm crossing my fingers that there is a Nikon model that produces beautiful pictures with my old lenses and flash. I'm looking in the lower price range as well.

Thanks so much!!!!

jane

To my knowledge your lenses will fit and autofocus on all the current DSLR's, save the D40. You won't get autofocus with the D40, only manual, but they will mount and work fine.

Not sure about the flash

Help me if I'm wrong here people.
    Nikon D700
    Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR
    Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 G ED
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D
    MB-D10
    SB-800 (x2), SU-800
    Canon SD1400IS

Nikon D300 - for sale
    Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX - for sale
    Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX - for sale

Oh!! This makes me so happy! I hope you're right! Okay, say my lenses will work, which model should I go with??? What are the pros and cons of each? I will start viewing threads and maybe I can get my answers here. I certainly don't want to waste your time. Thank you!!

jane

I would suggest the D80. Your lenses should be fully compatible. Your flash will work, but not in TTL mode. It will work only in non-TTL Auto, Manual, rear curtain sync, and repeating flash.

Ray.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to use any of your CF cards in the D80. The D80 uses SD cards and not the CF cards from your 5700.

Ray.

I was an old Minolta film user and had a point and shoot digital for past 5 years or so. Read a ton of reviews and opted for the D80. Love the camera, although I'm still learning lots.

If you do get the D80, I might suggest skipping the kit lens and finding yourself a 18-200mm VR II (very hard to find). When I do find one, my kit lens is heading to e-bay.
    Nikon D700
    Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR
    Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 G ED
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D
    MB-D10
    SB-800 (x2), SU-800
    Canon SD1400IS

Nikon D300 - for sale
    Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX - for sale
    Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX - for sale

Well, I'm drooling here. I did a price search and it is WAY above our means. I'm looking to spend $500.00 max on just the body alone. I will have to look around on eBay for a used one perhaps. Maybe one day I will be able to afford the D80, it looks awesome! (sigh)

jane
    Last edited by janeqb; 04-30-2007 at 08:07 AM.

Doesn't the D70 take the CF cards? I know the D50 also takes SD cards but I thought the 70 was different.

Jane, you might be able to find the D50 closer to the budget you are looking for. I bought mine at Christmas time for $650 (with a kit lens) and they have dropped more in price since then (and without a lens would drop it even farther.) It's a nice camera and I'm beyond happy with it.
    CJ

Nikon D90, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S, DX Zoom-Nikkor, 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor, 55-200mm f/4-5.6G AF-S DX VR, Induro AT-214 w/DM-12 ballhead, SB-800, SB-600 + diffuser, Light stand and umbrella, Hoya Polarizing Filter 52mm, Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW, and Lowepro Nova 170 AW for daily carry around

My FlickR account

Yes, a photographer friend recommended the D50 and D70 (should my lenses fit). I would probably have to go with a new flash but hopefully not. It would be nice to be able to use my CF cards as well! Money is tight.

You all are great! I'm so happy to have found this site. All are very helpful. Thank you so much.

jane

Jane, a few points to consider.

The lenses you have will perform a bit less impressive on a DSLR, since in film you did not notice soft results and such so much. Both your lenses will work fine on a D70/D70s/D50/D80.

On a D40 or D40X they willnot be able to auto focus, since Nikon decided to drop the internal AF motor in the D40 to save money and other marketing reasons.

Another thing to keep into mind:
    The sensor of any new Nikon DSLR is smaller than the 35mm film you are used to. This will mean that all lenses at all focal lengths will be less wide.
    Your 28mm wide angle will not be so wide angle anymore: 42mm.
    And 300 will "become" 450mm.

So, in order for you to keep wide angle, I suggest you try to find a Nikon D50 (discontinued but very nice camera, with internal AF motor so your lenses will work fine, and it is more complete in other senses too than a D40) with 18-55mm kitlens. This kitlens will give you the same reach as your 28-80 lens gives on your S-801 (as it is called outside of the US).

If you can not locate a D50 but come across a D70s, the D70s is also discontinued (followed up by the D80 which is outside your budget) but a very complete camera with a lot of potential. Same story, go for the D70s body with a 18-55mm kitlens.

Just avoid the D40, as it is cut down in features, and most important of all, will not offer AF with the lenses you have.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30